Time for another....a little help picking a new (to me) Fcar | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Time for another....a little help picking a new (to me) Fcar

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rmlovett1, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sal polletta

Sal polletta Rookie

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sal polletta
    I have a 458 spider 2013 is

2. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    The Porsche is perhaps the most perfect sports car on the market today. That being said, it is too perfect. Every time I drive one I’m like, gee it feels like a really fast Honda Accord. Don’t get me wrong, I love Honda’s, but I want my toy to have passion and excitement. Neither of these things are present on a regular 911 C4S. Great car, extremely comfortable, but just boring to me. Honestly, with a budget of $100k-$150k I’d be looking at either a 2014-2015 R8 with the dual clutch or if you look hard enough you could get a 2017 2nd gen R8. Much more exciting than the 911. I almost bought a 2017 R8 Spider before I decided to get a 458. No matter what you choose, I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the cars mentioned in this thread, just as long as you buy it right.

3. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sounds like you are a V8 guy. If I had $150K to drop on another Ferrari, I would get a late OTO 612, but that's just because I already have a 308 and a 360 stick. If I wanted another V8 at $150K I'd probably get a 430 stick... but I like manuals. Another option would be a Challenge Stradale, if you really want a fairly extreme car. I don't think $150K would get me the 458 I'd want. You'd have to go up 20-30K.

If you want a V12 two-seater, the 599 was a nice suggestion. Those have grown on me.

4. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Have you tried a well kept 328 for size? You might like it.... a lot. So many choices.... do not rush it.

5. stkpick101

stkpick101 Rookie

Sep 25, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Your preference is clearly a mid engine. With that said, you are now looking to acquire the one, where you will no longer look for another :) With that said, there isn’t a Ferrari you will enjoy more than a 458. It is relatively reachable, but worth to spend a bit more on, even if it is slightly outside your comfort zone. Each time you will see it in your garage and each time you will drive it, you will smile. That’s worth the stretch :)

6. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Looked at a 430 and a 458 today. The 430 is beautiful, a really cool looking car. Makes me want to have one. Then I walked over to the 458. I can't even begin to describe that car. Beautiful doesn't do the car justice. It's probably the 7th time looking at one and every time I am speechless. That is one incredible looking car. I have to watch what I say because if the the 458 is still $170s+ there will be a 430 in my garage next spring. Will I be happy, yes. Will I try to justify that the 430 is the car I really wanted? Hell no. I'll always want a 458.

Maybe being a previous 360 owner has slightly tainted my views of the 430? The 458 gives me feelings of "I'm not worthy." I can't imagine the feeling of having a 458 in my garage. Wow.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    911 is a nice DD. NOT a "special" car. Every other early to mid career professional and uncle has one.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I wouldn't change my gated 430 spider for a 458, though the 458 is a better car and if you have to drive a lot in town, clearly superior. Gated 430 is more fun.

I was really impressed by the 991.2 C2 GTS when I drove it for review. Fast, better steering than .1, fun, modern, but with a bit of joy dialled back in. Very good and satisfying car. Far better every day than any Ferrari. Not quite the specialness of a good Ferrari but as a DD with potential for fun at weekends, I'd take it over a 430 or a 458 or a Cali. As a weekend/fun only car, see above gated 430 spider.

9. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    At the price point in question, a 430 Spider with a stick is probably not feasible. These have spiked in value and are also very hard to come by. I looked.