Time for something new AMG GTS | FerrariChat

Time for something new AMG GTS

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Carnut, Jul 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have my eye on another car, which I not anything new for me. I really wanted to like the NXS, but it just does not do it for me. It is just too perfect and I mean no offence to anyone who owns one, it is a great car but it lacks that feeling of you need to pay attention when you are driving me or I'll hurt you. I am very odd but cars that are too over engineered just seem boring to me. So I am looking at the AMG GTS, that thing is reminds me of my modified 07 Z06 (with a better interior space). I have a friend at the local MB dealer who is looking for one for me, will only buy a certified car. There are a lot of them out there, seems like they must of had a 2 year lease deal since there are a lot of 2016 cars with low miles. Just curious if anyone here owns or owned one, and if there were issues I should be aware of. I am not looking for a buy this instead thing (once I decide nothing changes my mind), just want to hear some owners experiences. Thanks

anunakki likes this.
  2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I don’t have one but I love the body style and the amg
    I settled on the a45 amg but dream of the gt

3. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am early into my search but I'm going to look at a car with an original sticker over 160K (probably can be had for around 100K) in the next couple of days. These cars were both misunderstood and underappreciated at the same time. Some thought they were buying a hardtop SL (which they were not) the seats are not for the hefty among us nor is the car quiet, and the ride is not exactly smooth. Mercedes bought back quite a few of them for things that were not really defects, but those owners really did not know what they were getting with the car. It is truly a drivers car (it did win a few awards including best drivers car) and a damn good one, but for the most part it goes unnoticed (which is a good thing in my opinion), to many it is just anther Mercedes, and unfortunately that was one of its biggest downsides to prospective buyers. It lacks the wow factor that many buyers want (it makes me go wow which is all I care about), and expect when they spend that much on a sports car. Normally I would only buy a certified car, but since many of the 2016's for sale still have 2 years of warranty, I'm not sure it is that important. I figure it will not take long to find the right on for me, might be the next one I look at.

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Boomhauer, Smiles and redcaruser like this.
  5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Congratulations
    That is a “wow” car

6. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Those are very nice cars. Congratulations! My friend/salesman tried many times to get me to buy one but they are out of my price range or I would have jumped. The test drives were a blast though!

Edit: Sorry the test drives I did were not in the GTS.

7. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Great car Morrie, IMO one of the best and most beautiful GT's, congratulation!

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Thanks everyone, I am looking forward to seeing the horseless carriage truck.

9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Congratulations, Morrie.

My daily driver for the past eight years has been a 2008 CL63. I absolutely love it.

Matt

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Well Horseless came to pick it up last Monday (they got there before the paperwork and the check did), and the car could not be released yet.. They did show up again on Thursday and picked up the car, but that truck was headed to Florida before it turns back and heads north, so I'm guessing the car probably will not be here until early next week. I am putting in another two car garage (with two lifts) since my four wheel family keeps growing.

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Looks like my guess was wrong, car is coming in a few hours

12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Are you back from your first drive yet???

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    LOL, it was long but not that long. My impressions are that this car gathers speed very quickly without letting you realize just how fast you are going. I can see how that might be a bit unnerving to some drivers who are not used to powerful cars. It took a couple of runs to get used to the suspension, but I do not find it as bad as I heard it was. The steering is really good, the gear changes are very fast. This car has a bunch of options including the Dynamic option and he high end stereo (which is way too much In such a small space). It was pretty warm here Sunday and the Pilot Sports on the car are in good shape, the car will break loose, but not as easily as I heard it would. I stick by my earlier thoughts that this car was both misunderstood and under appreciated at the same time.