Tipo 133F vs Tipo 140C engines | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tipo 133F vs Tipo 140C engines

Discussion in '612/599' started by Themaven, Apr 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I hadn't realised the 140 was a development of the 133. Thought it was a ground up new engine like the 430 vs 360 engines. That makes my question seem a bit dim witted! I had found the 599, FF, Lusso and F12 so different in engine character to the Maranellos that I had assumed the Enzo engine and its derivatives were all new. Thanks for that knowledge.

Daniel, I know which of those music genres I prefer! Many thanks.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- The F430 engine is an evolution of the F355/360 engine, too, even if a whole lot was changed. 4 vs 5 valves, chains vs belts, VVT on intake and exhaust, twin disc clutch vs single, Motronic 7.1 vs 7.3(.1). Ferrari rarely starts with a clean sheet of paper because their baselines
    on engines
    are usually so good.

3. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    Unfortunately no comparable results .

4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    OK, but do you have an after result? :D Looks like you've been on a dyno anyway!

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Taz. So I need to take Ferrari's PR claims with a pinch of salt, it sounds like. Their own PR blurb called it an "all new unit that does not share any components with the 360 Modena's engine". Just like the Enzo/599 engine was claimed to be all new. I suppose that sounds much better than saying it's a heavy development of an existing unit. The media bought both of these statements.

Was the F133 an all-new, clean sheet of paper design when it first appeared in the 456? I know the F512M's 180 degree V12 was a development of the Colombo engine, which was also developed as a traditional V12 in the 412. Is the F133 a heavy development of the Colombo, or genuinely all new/clean sheet of paper?

Maybe I am asking unanswerable questions, because I don't know enough about engines!

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I think the question is really where do you draw the line on 'new'. All engines are built with knowledge of what worked already so they are all an evolution. I differ from Taz on what is new; To me if you changed the block and replaced most everything to accommodate the change, it is a new design. 430 is a different block, different bore, different stroke, different cams, crank, intake, etc. I am not as well versed on the 133 vs 140 but my understanding is that it is completely different block plus all of the associated changes so I would say new.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #32 tazandjan, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Darius- The Type F116 engines for the 456/456M were the predecessors of the F133 engines. They had 65 degree cylinder banks like the V6 Dinos and some F1 engines, DOHCs driven by belts like the 308s, 4 valves per cylinder like the 308 QV and 8 and 12 cylinder successors, and solid lifters with shim adjustment. The 550 Type F133A engine added hydraulic lifters, dual length intake tract, improved head design, and, believe it or not, milder cam timing.

There is a lot of misuse of the term Colombo engine. We have to remember Vittorio Colombo only worked at Ferrari from the end of WW-II until around 1950, when he went back to Alfa Romeo. The Colombo V12 initially only had 3 head bolts per cylinder, SOHCs, mouse trap valve springs, and no valve stem seals. Ferrari brought in Aurelio Lampredi as a risk limiter when Colombo's designs, supercharged, did not do too well in F1. Lampredi's engines, including his V12, had the cylinder liners attached to the heads, virtually eliminating any head gasket problems. So in this period, Ferraris were either Colombo engines with removable heads or Lampredi engines with the cylinder liners attached to the heads. Both engines evolved and eventually, the screw in liner engines were superseded, although many of their features were incorporated into the removable head engines. Rapidly improving head gasket technology helped the transition.

Since Colombo has not had anything to do with Ferrari engines since 1950, it is a real stretch to call any engine a Colombo engine after the SOHC engines were replaced with DOHCs. The last of those engines were the Type 245 V12s in the 365 GT 2+2 and the 365 GTC, and those were quite different from the original Colombo V12.

If you look in Wikipedia, they have some ridiculous list of engines divided up by Colombo, Lampredi, and Jano. In fact, except in the 1950s and early 60s, features from all these designers were incorporated into Ferrari engines, so it is impossible to say later engines were the result of one designer's work.

John- I tend to disagree completely. Even if the block is different, each of those engines built on what they learned from the previous engine and the design evolved. This is not a case of start all over with a clean sheet of paper and design a new engine.

Darius- The Boxers were effectively Daytona engines flattened out with belt driven cams and I would by no means call the Daytona engine a Colombo engine when the only thing they had in common was a 60 degree V12 with wet liners and detachable heads. The TRs had even less in common with Colombo's SOHC design.

Makuono and Skidkid like this.
  8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you Taz, and John. That explains the discrepancies in media reports about whether an engine (not just Ferrari) is "new" or not. Like any complex subject, the more I learn, the more there is to learn.

I suppose my original question was also piqued by having owned a F512M and a 550, successive V12s, simultaneously. They were very different cars, and the 550 was better in numerous ways, but the engine of the F512M has something to it (not just noise) that was missing in the 550. A kind of craziness, combined with this low-down punch. I was wondering if the 575/612 engines had any such subjective advantage over the 599's - but it appears not! Certainly my recollection of the 599's engine is of being an awesome creation.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- The F512M had less torque than the 575M, 500 Nm vs 588, so not sure what you are feeling. The weight over the rear wheels helps acceleration, but the F512M is actually geared higher than the 575M, which hurts acceleration. May just be they feel and sound different.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Interesting, Taz. Though I think the F512M is quite a bit lighter than the 550? Also though, as the 550 has a better top end, maybe that low-down punch of the M is illusory.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Ferrari quotes "kerb" weight at 3815 lbs for the 575M, and 3593 lbs for the F512M, which was a big honker itself. A little over 200 lbs difference/

12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Taz. Hm, I am veering off this board’s topic here, sorry. Still.. 100 kilos weight difference is not to be sniffed at, it is what the Scuderia saved over the 430, or the equivalent of shedding a well built adult male from your two seater Ferrari..The F512M was also famously quoted by Ferrari as having a faster 0-100 kmh time than its successor the 550, despite the higher gearing, likely for this reason and also traction provided by engine position. No such controversy for the 599 vs the 575!

About the new engines, I can see how Ferrari might want to call the engines all new for PR reasons and interesting what you say, that these were developments in engineering terms, even if parts were not shared.

as to the 140 vs the 133 I have to conclude that the answer to my question is the 140 is better in every way! Except maybe that the 133 has a more “lazy” (if you can call it that!) character suitable for satisfying progress without going flat out, while the 140 is made to fly, hyper responsive, always, as well as more powerful.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- The Type 140 engines also went to twin disc dry clutches with a much smaller flywheel and clutch diameter. This reduction in rotational inertia is one of the things that makes the engine more responsive. Ferrari bragged about the same thing when they used the 599 clutch and gearbox case (plus F1 Superfast software) when they introduced the 612 OTO.

Like 12-cylinder ENZO FERRARI and Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano models, 612 Scaglietti shall be
    equipped with a double-plate clutch, to reduce the rotating mass. The engine response is faster in
    revolution changes, with a faster gearshifting and improved acceleration, with an increased driving
    emotion. In addition, both flywheel and clutch are lighter and further reduce the car total weight.