355 - Tips On Installing the Short F355 Oil Line | FerrariChat

355 Tips On Installing the Short F355 Oil Line

Discussion in '348/355' started by GatedF355GTB, Sep 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    An oil line was leaking pretty badly on my F355. Unfortunately it was the short oil line from the engine block to the oil tank. Some of you may know what an utter pain in a$$ it is to remove and especially reinstall. I thought I'd post up some tips I learned doing mine. Hopefully it will help someone down the line.

If someone has a better approach please post up your suggestions. This was my first time changing the line with the engine in and I won't complain if it's my last.

Removal

1. Remove undertray and passenger side diffuser.
    2. Remove alternator. I tried to avoid this step at first which ended up being a dumb move and cost me a bunch of extra time and struggle.
    3. Loosen the oil tank. Remove the 2 bolts securing the tank to the car. I also disconnected the two oil lines connecting the tank to the oil cooler. You'll loose about 1.5 quarts of oil.
    4. Remove passenger side fuel filter (earlier 2.7 cars). I'm not sure if this was necessary but it did give me more room move the tank around.
    5. Remove the small oil line (pictured). The banjo fitting to the block is 32mm and the oil tank connection is 36mm.

Installation

1. Install the banjo fitting first. This is really hard as the hose is not flexible and there's not a lot of room to work and manipulate the hose. Also, be super cautious not to cross thread the banjo bolt into the block. That would be a disaster.
    2. Install the other side of the hose to the oil tank. This is also really hard as the fitting has to line up to the tank just so. Position the oil tank where it has the best angle to meet the fitting and secure one of the bolts so the tank wont move. I need to put a small pipe between the tank and the firewall to get the right angle. It has to be perfect.
    3. The rest of the install is simply the reverse of removal.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

blox79 likes this.
  2. blox79

blox79 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    Germany
    I had to change this oil line last winter and had also a hard time doing it.
    At the end it has been done without removing the alternator, just losing the oiltank and only with jackstands. With an lift it would be for sure an easyer job.

As you dit i started with the banjo fitting and had to try a couple times to get the thread perfectly angled.
    The new oil line wasn't as flexible as the oem, so i used 3 zip ties, when the line still was outside of the car, to get the line in form as it needet to be. Doing that in position, with the alternator in place is
    impossible to the lack of room.
    The last step then was to angle the oiltank so the fitting could be finaly screwed to the oiltank and then put everthing back in place.

Oil line didn't lose any oil after since.

I used the oil line from maranello classic parts in UK as this part is really an high quality product. First try was with the part from superformance, but that one didn't meet my (or anyone) quality standards and i sent it back.

Picture of the part i used incl. the new teflon gaskets and the oem old one
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

And pictures of the one i sent back Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Good posts. Interesting stuff.