Titling in another state to avoid sales tax | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Titling in another state to avoid sales tax

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RAYMAN, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I love that this is posted in a public forum. Carry on. Don't ***** when you get caught.

Mark

2. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Again, to whom is this directed?

I moved to South Carolina a decade ago. Not my fault the taxes are low here!

3. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Haddon Township had snow to plow in the winter and trash to haul, in SC you only get snow once every 15 years and can burn your trash in the backyard. ;)

4. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    So true. As our realtor told us, "You don't have a lot of taxes in South Carolina. Of course, you don't have a lot of services." We like that we're close enough to (more highly taxed) North Carolina and the metropolitan Charlotte area.

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If that's the way you feel about your government, I suggest moving to a different country.

6. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I know a lot of California people try to do this with their cars registered in Nevada OR people who move here who don't ever register their cars here.

Now cops are pulling over out-of-state plated cars and putting them in some sort of database. If you're caught in January, and then again in May, and then again in August, and then again in December, they consider you a resident and fine you.

There's also a program where you can squeal on your neighbor with the out-of-state plates.

There was good reason to try to not register the car in California: the registration fees were astronomical. They've come down now after Gov. Gray Davis nearly tripled the fee in 2003.

7. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Are you an Obama voter?

8. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The people I know in California who are registering their cars and motorcycles elsewhere aren't doing it to avoid taxes,they are doing it to avoid California's increasingly irrational and oppressive smog laws. Those vehicles would be registered here if we had sensible inspection rules. But with Guv. Moonbeam back in the statehouse and a two-bit Marxist demagogue in the White House,the chances of sanity prevailing are slim to none.

9. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Anyone unlawfully avoiding taxes. If that's not you, then it was not directed at you.

Mark

10. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Doesn't seem like anyone here is doing that. The original poster in 2004 decided against that. The 2015 poster who revived the thread is considering relocation.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I suggest you wake up.

12. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Is this not tax avoidance/illegal?

13. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #63 Voda, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    This explains it all. Simply take some time to read the articles and this thread would be much more informed.
    Then it's simply a matter of each individual making a decision as to how they feel about the potential risks involved and their moral obligations, etc.
    It's not my place to judge.

On a side note, ... look how Boeing (largely based in my state of WA) incorporated in Delaware (they do no manufacturing, etc. in Delaware) to avoid WA taxes, or Microsoft from 1986-'93. Or how about Carnival Cruise lines that trades on the NYSE and incorporated in Panama and pays 1.1% on $11.3 BILLION in Profits???

So in WILMINGTON, Del. nothing about 1209 North Orange Street hints at the secrets inside. It’s a humdrum office building, a low-slung affair with a faded awning and a view of a parking garage. Hardly worth a second glance.

But behind its doors is one of the most remarkable corporate collections in the world: 1209 North Orange, you see, is the legal address of no fewer than 285,000 separate businesses.

Its occupants, on paper, include giants like American Airlines, Apple, Bank of America, Berkshire Hathaway, Cargill, Coca-Cola, Ford, General Electric, Google, JPMorgan Chase, and Wal-Mart. These companies do business across the nation and around the world. Here at 1209 North Orange, they simply have a dropbox.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/business/economy/02leonhardt.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/business/how-delaware-thrives-as-a-corporate-tax-haven.html

14. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Original question was raised by Rayman in 2004. Then, also in 2004, Rayman answered:

15. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    #65 roma1280, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    I was already berated earlier in the thread for saying that if you are buying a Ferrari then just pay the taxes. The TYCO guys actually went to jail for avoiding sales tax on expensive paintings.

I know virtually nothing about most things, including car sales taxes, but if you live in a state and intend to keep your car in that state, if it is isn't titled in that state and you haven't paid sales taxes in that state, you have probably broken the law.

16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    your breaking on average 6 laws a day anyhow......

17. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    I think I break more than 6 a day, if you include maximum speed laws......

But those are pretty minor if you compare with tax avoidance!

18. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    My LLC's legal address is Orange St in Wilmington. It dosn't save me a penny in NJ income taxes. I was a lawyer and we always incorporated in Del because the judges have expertise in corporate law. You don't want some politically appointed hack judge in Podunk deciding whether Boeing has to mail a notice to several hundred thousand shareholders.

There is a little competition and race to the bottom among states, however. for example Del allows poison pills and other ainti-takeover measures that basically limit the ability of shareholders to extract a premium in value by canning inefficient management.

19. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    This isn't worth the headache unless you actually own a residence in the non sales tax state.

20. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

Who likes to pay taxes??

But, you gotta pay to play.

Cheers!

21. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pot meet kettle

22. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I live in Canada.

But to answer your question, Obama is an idiot.

23. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    So the state gets $24,000 in revenue just because you own a nice car? How much profit did Ferrari make on its original sale? Don't forget that Ferrari did the R & D, employed the workers, acquired the materials, built the vehicle, shipped it, repaired/serviced it for the life of the warranty, etc. And now all these years later a state gets the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? REALLY? And some people wonder why the TEA Party had a few followers ...http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/images/icons/icon3.gif

24. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    11 years later - this post still made me laugh!

25. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I think every country has good and bad policies

In China we don't pay sales tax if you bought a used car. People put real sales amount on the invoices. According China's philosophy, the tax has been levied at the point of sale when the car's new. Not sure how many other countries do that.

But just so you know ,China doesn't allow importing used cars. How irrational can that be?