Titling in another state to avoid sales tax | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Titling in another state to avoid sales tax

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RAYMAN, Apr 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    finding ways to reduce taxes is legal, avoiding is not. And here is where the tax collector usually wins in the U.S.: it is the intent of the law, not the letter of the law that is persuasive in tax court.

As a CA resident, born and raised, I felt a duty (call me a sucker) to pay my taxes, reg fees, and get the proper smog certs the state requires to have a CA plate. At this point many years later, the state smog requirements are the aggravating issue. Historic plates can avert that, but have their own restrictions which I don't care to worry about at this point.

Other posters have said it, but I drive with impunity and with my head peacefully on my pillow at night, ymmv because we aren't all built the same.

With all that said, there is an interesting approach that I am looking into, use of an LLC to own vintage/collector cars). The thought is that the entity owns a car and pays for the associated costs in addition to acquisition. At time of sale, buyer purchases the LLC, which contains the underlying assets. There is no sales tax on purchase of an LLC, the title of the car remains with the LLC and continues to be registered in whatever state of its use, CA in my case even though the LLC is likely domiciled outside of CA.

I am considering this as part of an estate plan, a future buyer of the LLC would not be subject to sales tax and if the member interests are owned by the decedent, the estate beneficiary(s) would enjoy a step up in basis.

opinions/comments welcome.

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ^^^^ what is to look into ?

completely legit but many potential pitfalls for the buyer

3. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    exactly the kind of comment I was seeking, what are the buyer pitfalls?

4. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    well.. in addition to buying the assets you are also buying the liabilities of the LLC, known and unknown.

i'd have no problem setting one up to hold cars myself and selling the LLC to another...

i'd have to think about buying one from someone else.

5. 575 Maranello

575 Maranello Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2013
    So Cal
    I believe some people buy / own yachts this way.

6. wlanast

wlanast Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 9, 2007
    Santa Ana,California
    Full Name:
    William
    Interesting. I am not arguing, but my response is that it doesn't matter what the LLC owns, a company, real estate, or a car(s), yet these entities change hands through sale all the time. Would there be a difference when it owns cars?

buyer beware as in all transactions, I guess.

7. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Cant you put into the contract something like "All liabilities against Corp X, known or unknown, prior to the time of the signing of the contract are the responsibility of xxxxx"
    xxxx being the CEO or Pres of the LLC (or normal corp) ?

8. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    #83 henryr, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    it can own cars, it could own anything - i am not arguing what the LLC or the entity consists of. the concept of using the LLC to own an asset is valid.

that the ownership of the LLC can be transferred and hence assets "sales tax free" also is valid.

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    you could - would you sign that ? i employ LLCs to limit my liability...

why would i voluntarily pierce that corporate shield and open myself up to UNLIMITED liability ?

just something to consider, thats all.

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Absolutely.

I just bought a corp and that clause was a requirement. Without it.. see ya.

If I were a shyster selling a flakey corp... probably not.

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    have u ever been audited? not fun
    btw didn't al capone go to jail ultimately for tax evasion
    I wldnt be posting about it on the internet but that's just me

12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L

u lost me.....

so you would sign ""All liabilities against Corp X, known or unknown, prior to the time of the signing of the contract are the responsibility of xxxxx" ?

i wouldn't...... i'd find another dimwit buyer.

13. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    thats a good point.....

what if the seller of the CAR LLC was playing tax games ? showing a loss, etc ?

he sells to you and he withdraws as a member pulling his capital balance down to zero and three years down the road you get audited.....

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    You are rude