News

Too Dam Hot 365GT4 2+2 with 400I engine

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Choptop400, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Doctor Mark. I have though of that and will test when I put everything back together. Before pulling apart there was air flow through the radiator when the fans were on. Not sure if there was one pulling and one pushing (owned a 1973 MGB that was wired that way, the British!) but the last mechanic that took care of the Ferrari was top notch out in California and I would think he would have notice. In either case with everything pulled apart, I will test before reinstalling the front valance. With respect to the timing, that will have to wait till everything is back together and I have completed the PMI.

Thanks

Frank

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Frank,

Just a heads up, but one has to be mindful that painting can actually limit a metal's ability to dissipate heat. That is not to say that what you painted already is going to be a problem, but simply be aware of this and use quality paints with as little thickness as needed to achieve the desired result.

BTW... I think what you have done looks great!

Cheers,

Sam

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day again Frank,

I would check to see what was done on the originals. If one really wanted to coat the surfaces with paint, etc then the best would be some form of a epoxy based paint. There are some that when cured are pretty much impervious to solvents, etc... and the only way to remove this paint is only by blasting (abrasive means). As mentioned in my earlier response... this may affect the ability of the tank to dissipate heat and depending upon the epoxy paint this could be an issue.

Cheers,

Sam

4. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Thanks Sam, I used Eastwood's Radiator paint to refinish the different parts. It is especially made for these parts and is very fine and made to handle temps up to 300 degrees F. Takes several coats to get it right.

Frank

Rifledriver likes this.
  5. markcF355

markcF355 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmecklestan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If the o-ring(s) leak, you'll see white goo under the radiator cap. The car will also over heat because the system won't hold pressure. The lower pressure allows the water to boil at a lower temperature which is right around where the car wants to run.

6. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    I don't that this is the issue as the coolant is clear (no oil) and the bottom of the cap is spotless. Having said that, I am working away on making sure every wearable part has been updated. How often do these O rings need to be replaced? I do not have a record in all the receipts that this has ever been done (That makes me assume that it has never been done).

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Good choice. A thin layer of black paint aids in heat dissipation. There is a reason radiators are painted black.

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I worked in a dealer with triple digit temps in the summer as the norm for a number of years and we sold and serviced quite a few 400's. Their cooling system was quite compatible with that environment with everything working correctly.

It was mentioned earlier but I'd do a test for presence of exhaust gas in the radiator, specifically HC. It would be an indicator of leakage around the fire rings. I am not a huge fan of the litmus fluid testers as suggested, they are not very sensitive especially if the car is running very clean as 400's can.

I would also look at the timing. The distributor drive shaft can move lengthwise on those causing timing changes.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  9. markcF355

markcF355 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmecklestan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Just FYI. The MSD probably doesn't control the ignition advance. It steam comes up through the lower seal, the bearing seize causing the timing to be stuck at starting timing advance. When the RPM go up, the timing won't advance causing the engine to overheat.

10. markcF355

markcF355 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmecklestan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wow, my last post looks like those things where only the first and last letter are correct. Sorry.