TR/Boxer crown and pinion solution! | Page 9 | FerrariChat

TR/Boxer crown and pinion solution!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Newman, Dec 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The craftsmanship on these units are superb! Paul has done a great job with these.

Has anyone heard of a 512TR unit breaking? I never have and can't find any threads on it either but it's obviously better to be safe than sorry.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ric, its an empty carrier case that you transfer your original posi clutches and differential gears into. You also transfer your original crown gear (which bolts to the flange with the holes in it). Its plug and play in that it goes right in with no additional parts if you chose but I would suggest rather than re-use your original bearings, I would replace them becasue they are cheap and you're there. The shop made the carriers so precise that it doesnt effect the adjustment that is currently in use in the gearbox. If yours for example is setup within spec, this replacement unit will not change that setup.

3. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Got it...thats what i thought. I had intentions of doing the bearings when i would go in there. Thanks for clarifying. What are your thoughts on the original crown gear ? How about the diff gears ? Since you taken a few apart, is this another weak link ?

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Some have crown and pinion failures whether its a 365BB or a TR doesnt seem to matter. I think its all in how its used and that the part just isnt up to the task when abuse takes place. The internals of the carriers are pretty stout and dont seem to fail.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #205 Newman, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Any chance you may be offering these up for sale later in 2009? I might looking then for some...

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes ill always have some available. Im making more and stocking some for those that need one NOW if and when the need arises.

8. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Now come on Paul......Not "all" are deemed worthy. There are those of us (me,myself and I) that are segregated to stand on the sidelines and not get picked to be on the "team"!!

Kerry

9. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have, someone in our club has had a failure on his 512TR, from what I have read it's same unit as the "regular" TR until very late in the 512TR production run, they then were upgraded to the 'M' style carrier..

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #210 Newman, May 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. Turk512

Turk512 Rookie

Jan 19, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Kev Hashas
    Paul, the carrier showed up yesterday. It's a beautiful piece of metal! Now, maybe you and Sam can design and build a see through transmission case so we can all see it after the installation!

12. Marty

Marty Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Boston/PTown/SW FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Stark
    Looks like my TR's going in for some tranny work. During a hard drive the transmission developed a clunk that went up and down with engine speed even with the transmission in neutral. Probably a chipped or broken tooth on one of the gears that run on the input side. I'd like to install one of Newman's improved carriers when the transmission's out.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im making another batch right now, email me or PM me and I can give you more details.

Thanks

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Another update for you Paul. A friend who is a retired machinist had a look at mine the other day and was very impressed with the work and the price. He is involved in getting the spool made for the rear end in the new speedrecord streamliner we are building. Being a spool it is a much simpler piece and is aluminum so a little easier to make there as well and is costing the car owner quite a bit more than your units.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The gears are pretty tough and would be a very expensive part to get "Just in case".

Get a carrier if for no other reason that to just have as a spare which is essentially why I got one. They will never be cheaper or easier to get and will be easy to find a new home for if you ever want to be rid of it.

16. Marty

Marty Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Boston/PTown/SW FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Stark
    Rifledriver, what do you think is broken in the transmission given the symptoms I described a couple of posts back? (Btw, car is driveable but obviously will remain parked.)

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Your own guess is pretty good. TR's generally dont break gears but anything can happen. BBs break gears, sometimes 1st breaks right in several pices and falls right off the shaft but TR had beefier gears. Are there any other symptoms? Does the shifter move back and forth when you get on and off the throttle? I suppose it could be one of the big ball bearings at the front if a ring nut backed off or some foreign object got in it.

I would take the side plate off and if required the transfer gear housing and the front cover to have a look. I have fixed a lot of TR and BB transmissions without removal. I am a big fan of thorough diagnosis before disassembly when possible.

18. Marty

Marty Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Boston/PTown/SW FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Stark
    The shifter works and acts normally and I was able to get back home including 20 miles of highway driving. Very pronounced clunk when starting in 1st and when slow coasting to a stop in neutral. I believe the deed was done when I accelerated hard onto a recently rain wetted on-ramp that became a washboard surface.

19. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I'd take the side cover off and have a look.

Let me know what you find.

20. Marty

Marty Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Boston/PTown/SW FL
    Full Name:
    Martin Stark
    Stupid question - can you remove the side cover without first draining the tranny fluid?

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes you can but it will make quite a mess.

Be sure to stand back.

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #222 Newman, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
    LOL just have a good grip on the frame rail and pull yourself out of the way really really fast as you pop it off!

Brian, you have me worried about my gearbox now. My shifter moves under torque a bit which I would say is normal due to engine movement. When the ring nut backs off I would suspect there would be significant movement fore and aft? I would also hope there is some noise associated with this as well?

thanks for the update too!

23. JAYF

JAYF Formula 3

May 13, 2006
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Is there a certain amount of back and forth that is acceptable or is any movement a sign of bad things to come?

24. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Paul,
    Got me carrier on Wednesday and opened the box up last night. Very nice work! I plan on bringing it to the shop monday and putting on one of our CMM (coordinate measuring machine). The quality of the work is excellent and I'm sure the dimensions will bare that out. We manufacture very expensive instrumentation and I appreciate someone who puts out a quality product.

John

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks John Im glad you like it!