TR parking brake problem | FerrariChat

TR parking brake problem

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by jimmyr, Mar 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    On early TR, parking brake lever loose/limp, and rear wheels locked up. Any thoughts?

2. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    The parking brake is on ;)

MOSS likes this.
  3. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yes the parking brake feels on, but the lever will not release it; it feels disconnected.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you know how to loosen the parking brake?
    you may pull the lever. push the knob, pull a little more and with pressed knob you may put the lever down Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That should be the normal release, but the button and the lever feel like they are not connected/functioning. Possibly the spring (15) snapped or broken. I will get it on a lift somehow, and see what I can observe.

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you push the knob you feel resistance of the spring? may be this spring is broken. but even then you could loose the brake, only the knob will not come out again alone.
    please keep us updated and good luck

7. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yes the push button has no feeling and is completely loose/free. Will update as soon as I can get it onto my lift. thanks

Shamile and turbo-joe like this.
  8. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Hey Jim, just took a look at my car and it is a pretty simple system. I assume there must be a spring that operates the push button on the brake handle and if you look at the push button on the brake handle you will see how that operates by simply disengaging the locking mechanism on a fixed stepped gear. I'm sure Bill has one lying around in the shop at GT. It is quite difficult to disengage the brake if its at the top of its travel, I find a push on the knob at the same time you pull UP will disengage the locking mechanism and allow it to move back to its start position. If you do this correctly you should hear the locking mechanism stepping up the gears as you apply the parking brake. I shot a crappy video hope it helps. Others who service these cars might chime in as to what might have broken. Good luck and please complete the thread by updating your findings.
    Cheers!

9. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    OK, many thanks for the tips, and I will enter a resolution as soon as I have it resolved.