TR rear bumper removal | FerrariChat

TR rear bumper removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by stevetr, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevetr

stevetr Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    To gain better access to detail around the back of my TR it would be useful to remove the rear bumper. Can this be removed independently of the rear valence, or must the valence be removed first? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Steve

2. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You will have to remove the rear panels of the rear wheel wells to get access to the outer nuts. I do believe you can remove just the bumper and leave the lower valence panels on, if my memory serves correctly. Once you have the 4 outer nuts removed (17mm I believe) you can then remove the 4 bolts (also 17mm I think) that secure the bumper to the longitudinal frame rails. Dont forget to disconnect the license plate light wire harness. And if working alone like I do, perhaps stick some rags over or around any painted body panels or areas where you may accidentally scuff or rub against. The bumper is not very heavy...maybe 60 to 70 pounds or so. Pick out a good spot to put it down before you remove it so your not left holding that bags so to speak. I hope this helps....keep us informed as to your progress. There don't seem to be many TR guys posting lately, I was beginning to get lonely. Good Luck on your detailing.

3. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    #3 khayes, Nov 8, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My mechanic recently pulled my rear bumper and rear valance to install a new Tubi exhaust. He accidently bumped the inside edge of the bumper on the exhaust tip while reinstalling it. It's no big deal to me but Ii thought I would suggest that you wrap your tips with a soft cloth before you reinstall the bumper so that you don't do the same. Here is a picture of my paint chip on the inside edge of my bumper cut out for the exhaust tip on the passenger side. I put an arrow to the chip. The rest of the stuff is just dirt, it's raining today.

Be sure to post some pictures of you bumper removal.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login