TR water pump seal | FerrariChat

TR water pump seal

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ago car nut, Oct 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Replaced the water pump seal on the TR. Removed the front cover and replaced the WP bearings and front crank seal also. The new seal is part #183759. Installed the new seal and compressed the seal with my fingers. Measured the impeller shaft height. Determined that .050" needed to be removed from back of impeller. This was done so as not to over compress new seal. The new seals could be taller than original seal. The ball bearings were marginal and needed replacement. 2nd photo is old seal. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Well, the reason that the seal did not fit well was that you installed the wrong part. Testarossa's with engine numbers 20820 and lower originally used a two piece seal #120948. This was superseded to a one piece seal #152051. This one piece seal is a direct replacement with no modifications required, and is the seal that you should have installed.
    TR's with engine #20821 and higher used the seal that you installed #183759. The later waterpump has a different length shaft, a different sized seal spacer and a different impeller.
    You should have done more research before modifying your impeller, as there are multiple threads on this very topic. I hope that your modified impeller works, because taking the engine out if it leaks is a lot of work. You might consider pressure testing the seal as shown in the workshop manual before installing the engine.
    It only requires making some plugs and adapters for the coolant hoses.

Whoever sold you that seal should not be selling parts for a living.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you brian for the explanation
    but I prefer what david was doing
    the new 1 piece seal 152051 cost at ricambi america 137.38 $, the seal for newer engines (183759) only 33,80 $
    and to modify the impeller is about 15 minutes work maximum

and if david will check before installing the engine for leaks and all would be ok then this is a good alternative

4. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I pressure tested the seal before installation. Was told the two piece seal is no longer available. Brian Call mentioned in a post about modifying the impeller for new seal. The new seal looks like common seal for other vehicles. I did plenty of searches on this forum, and a lot of confusion.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I have never advocated that modification. In cars requiring the later seal I use it. In cars requiring the early seal I use a different one. There are many available.

6. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Sorry if I mis quoted you Brian. There was some mention in the past of modifying the impeller for later seal. I pressured tested mine and seams ok. I studied the new seal carefully. All kind of reports on problems with seals.