TR with seized cam | Page 2 | FerrariChat

TR with seized cam

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by PETE CHURCH, Feb 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    #26 billb, Mar 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Although you have identified the source of the problem (and I'm very sorry to see this happen to you), I have seen the problem you describe, but caused by another source. Failure of the first bearing journal behind the drive gear or sprocket can be induced by too much tension. I have experienced this with a chain drive engine (Daytona) whereby the chain was too tight. Rather than weld repair, I chose to machine the bore oversize and install two shell bearings at the location. As it turns out, old VW Beetle cam bearings are the correct diameter for the cam journal. Boring the bearing cap and head to the VW bearing O.D., then hand filing slots for the bearing tangs produces a long-lasting and reliable fix without subjecting the head to heat from welding.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. PETE CHURCH

PETE CHURCH Rookie

Feb 15, 2004
    Thanks guys for your input. I am presently trying to contac oil filter manufacturer through FERRAI. I am also aware of the problem with the 308 filters collasping. Also I chose billb's solution to fixing the head. I have found a machine shop that can make an insert for the repair. I will also check into the BALDWIN filters to see if they look any better.