track truck | FerrariChat

track truck

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by 95spiderman, Nov 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i know most here will ridicule my decision but ive decided to replace my rr with a small suv that i can take on hpde few times yr instead of my usual lotus track car. Ex, when its very far drive to track, when bad weather forecast, need to take others with me, let family members who dont drive stick to hpde it. so assuming i will not change my mind i need advice on which one to get

macan gts is obvious choice that will work well for my needs. but i dont really like it that much. i prefer the amg glc43 coupe instead but im worried that it might not work on track at all. i imagine immediate overheating and limp mode. brake pedal goes to floor. etc. anyone have any info on one at the track? amg says it will be fine but i would like to get independent opinion. really dont want to buy it and not be able to track it at all. i have fair amount experience instructing students in gle63 coupe and bmw x6m both of which were pretty good but i dont want something that big.

also, i looked for alfa qf stelvio but not available and too many hoops to jump through to get it. and dont like the bmw x4m either. thanks for any advice

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I wouldn't call any of those "trucks"

might want to see when the Maserati Levante GTS is going to be available...with a Ferrari-based V8 from the QP...

new Jag SUV looks great. or maybe the Grand Cherokee Trackhawk w/ the Hellcat motor?

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yeah, i remember always seeing nascar trucks at hpde but not for a long time. wonder what happened to all those guys?

i love the jag but its not really sporty enough for track at all. maserati is too big for me. track hawk would be so insane with 700 hp but its really more for drag strip than hpde and its also too big for what i need.

i joined mbworld to get ideas about glc. no one has 1st hand experience on track but some do drive it hard like a sports car and say its great. rennlist has many positive reviews of macan on track. i just dont like its looks but might end up with it if i cant get confirmation on amg holding up

thanks guys!

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I will just leave this here for you.

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    thanks but was that glc? looks pretty good! 1g cornering and 1.5g braking. dont expect to be pushing to that level

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    X5M with 700hp I believe. The owner/driver is a member here.

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ah yes, ive instructed in those and pretty amazing. like a tall nissan gtr. im looking at small size suv. those are close to 2.5 tons! mine would be 2 tons which isnt that crazy heavy considering gtr weighs same

9. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    perhaps something not new?? a Cayenne GTS?..

10. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    When I saw 'track truck' I thought something different.

I spoke to a car salesman a couple of years ago about a couple of used Range Rovers on the lot. He kept steering me to the newer, more loaded, lots of leather model. I told him "You don't get it. This is going to be a track truck. The back is getting loaded with a spare set of wheels and a couple of tool boxes. Now let's talk towing capacity."

That was one of the most shocked and disgusted looks I ever recall getting.

G. Pepper likes this.
  11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Cayenne too big, im looking for smaller and light as possible

12. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    not much out there then...other than a Macan...which when I drove the base one it left me cold...and by the time I was done checking boxes I was close to 85k...LOL
    I'll keep my little X1 M-Sport w/the 3.5 motor....seats go down...tires & stuff all fit nicely in the back
    Best of Luck with your search...let us know what you get!

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    today im liking bmw x4m for 2 reasons. first, free pads and rotors and two, i like the m sport tri color stripes i could put on it
    its a hard choice between these 3 but i have few months to keep obsessing on it

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Checked out audi s5 sportback today. Basically and s4 sedan with a slanted hatchback trunk. Very pretty car with same specs as the x4m, macan, etc. $60k, 4000lbs, 350hp, awd, 8sp tc trans only now w much lower center gravity of a car. Same interior space too. X4m actually feels sportier maybe due to better weight distribution but canot compare in looks dept. And audi offers a beautiful green exterior over gray alcantara interior. bmw has a 440i gs coue that is similar with better weight distribution but is down 35 hp. So s5sb is my choice (for today)

15. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    autoweek sings the praises of the dodge durango srt

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i do like the 700hp trackhawk but its too big for my needs. kids live in nyc and big truck impossible to park. besides its more of a drag strip machine than hpde. i think the audi sedan will be better for hpde

17. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Why does it have to be an SUV? I mean SUVs are like the anti-track car. Any number of sedans seem like they would be a much better choice. M4/M2, RS3, C43, ATS-V or the like.

Envision likes this.
  18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed on the above just get a sedan.

My wife has the regular Glc 300 its a really nice crossover whatever. Comfortable in front, less so in rear but not bad, steers nicely for an eps, well built decent brakes, pretty quick. In a way the best all aorund vehicle MB makes. The amg version must be bonkers. I see no reason why it shouldnt be as durable on track as any amg e class, which is what its based on, C nomenclature notwithstanding.

As you know anything like this or even a sedan is going to eat tires and brakes.

If the rags are to belived the trackhawk is pretty good on track and is the regular jeep srt.

Lots of people like the M2 with SMG.

Persoanly I would get a trackhawk and use it for towing the lotus.

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yeah suv idea was only to please family since we ve always had one for over 20 yrs but these new smaller ones dont have any extra room compared to sedans theyre based on. do want awd so m3 is out. i like looks of s5 hatchback better than plain 4 door like amg so will probably go w that. towing lotus doesnt work due to no room for trailer storage but thanks for suggestion. not worried about tires and brakes since would only go to track maybe 6 times over 3 yr lease

thanks for all the advice. btw, i posted same question on porsche, mb, bmw forums and was either ignored or ridiculed so thanks for the patience!

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    New M5 is supposed to be awd.

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    how about a 3 series or E class wagon? various AWD/engine combinations.

E63s wagon on a track day would be a hoot :)

22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wife loves mb wagon and 600 hp would be fun.....new jag wagon looks even better but no r version yet
    m5 too much std sedan shape. they do make a 3 series gransport that looks good and has a 'track pac' option but only 300hp so like audi w 355 hp over that

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

AMG E series wagon is the way to go. Simply an awesome car.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  25. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    m5 seems pretty wild. awd plus a switchable rwd mode! never heard of such thing in car before. Quite a bit more car than im looking for but cool none the less. thanks for link