Tranny oil choices, philosophy | FerrariChat

Tranny oil choices, philosophy

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, Nov 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Has anyone tried using a non-synthetic grade oil for the transaxle in these cars? I’m curious how it might affect the shift quality re a slipperier synthetic offering. My knowledge of synchros are limited but one thing I’ve known is that the wrong oil can came them much harder to shift, and going to a lighter oil has helped several other cars I’ve owned. Now, being that this car shares the oil with ring and pinion I’m not sure we can go to a lighter MTL type fluid. But, I’m assuming the spec is there to cover track use in southern Italy where it might be considered a worst case. For hot laps around the neighborhood in the northern climes, a lighter oil might be just fine on the R&P and much nicer on the syncros also, but then I remembered that a conventional gear oil that is still rated for the duty could possibly strike a compromise and improve shifts at the same time.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Lots of threads on this subject in the 360/430 forum. Problem is there is a disconnect between the hypoid gears in the differential and the synchro rings, which are brass. One wants a GL-5 (rear end) and one wants a GL-4 (synchros and gearbox) that does not shear off layers of brass. The best I have found and have been using for 13 years is Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90. No friction modifier needed, but it does say not for manual transmissions, so buyer beware. So far no issues for me. I found an Australian oil that says good for Ferrari transaxles, but it was quoted for older transaxles with iron/steel synchro rings. Worked the same as the Valvoline and cost me about $200 including postage, so I switched back to Valvoline.

F456M and brogenville like this.
  3. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Yes, and there’s more to the brass chemistry thing than just the gl4/gl5 ratings. I’ve seen on some bottles the gl5 where it states that it is fine for brass. My last change I used redline 75-90 but I threw in one qt redline mtl in hopes that it would slick up my shifting which it did, but not entirely to the point I’d imagined possible.

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Valvoline has worked fine for me with nothing showing up in the gearbox filter. Of course, 800-900 psi of hydraulic pressure helps shifting.

5. Davidspop

Davidspop Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lance Malcolm
    Ordering all the components to change engine oil and transmission lubricant...so what is the "latest" for our 456gt....Redline MTL work better?

6. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
  7. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    What does Ferrari use?

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Some Shell product that is not even available anymore is recommended. Shell Transaxle Oil 75W-90.

Not sure what the dealerships use now.

9. hwyman

hwyman Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2015
    Canada / Los Angeles
    Knock on wood my shifts in the 550 have been as good as can be with whatever my dealer is using. I get nervous with transaxles because as you've mentioned you have sever types of force and different metals. I know OEMs use whatever company they have corporate sponsorships with and they're not necessarily the best but I get nervous to stray. Same with coolant.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #10 Rifledriver, Dec 9, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    If a 550 or 575 does not have a very good shift quality with any of the name brand synthetic 75-90 GL5 oils something is wrong. They have never really been known for shifting issues or being very fussy about oil. Id never consider a lighter weight or a GL4 for the sake of wear prevention of the gears in a car with that much torque and its gear sizes.

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Last I went hunting it was NLA; an AGIP alternative product was not available here in the US