Truffles??? no not the chocolate kind | FerrariChat

Truffles??? no not the chocolate kind

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Italteen3, Dec 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Italteen3

Italteen3 Formula 3

Oct 14, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Anthony
  2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    $200,000 for a kilo of that? It looks like a turd! WTF?! How many people were taking turns holding it? It's worth $200,000, stop getting it dirty with your grubby hands you whores!

3. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    #3 Samimi, Dec 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    White truffles are really good :)

Steelton Keith likes this.
  5. rollsorferrari?

rollsorferrari? F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2006
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Scott
    i would hope so, if someone's willing to fork over 200 large for one

6. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    If you like truffles, go to the town of Alba in Italy during the month of October. There is a large truffle festival, and even the streets smell of the rare and expensive tuber (high school gym locker).

Alcav5 likes this.
  7. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Fact is, unlike the black one, you never eat it "whole", but either simply on a pasta dish with cream, or in a more sophisticated meal...

8. Italteen3

Italteen3 Formula 3

Oct 14, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    My HS gym locker room smelled horrible. If yours smelled anything like mine I would not want to try truffles. :D I've tried many different Italian dishes, and heard of many others but this one had me stumped. I LOVED growing up with an off-the-boat Italian mom (and still do to this day :D ), but I am almost glad I've never tried this.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Truffles are an acquired flavor, but once hooked.. you are hooked... its like a drug. you generally shave them over foods, or at the very end of cooking incorporate them in the food. Great with Foie Gras, Risotto, pasta, fantastic under the skin of a roast chicken.. only takes 4 -5 thin slices to impart the flavor. one truffle - perigord or alba... will perfume an entire refrigerator of cream, rice, eggs, cheese etc... so if you spend $2K on a couple Truffles - you can end up making $5K worth of produce if you are smart.... at least in the food biz...

I get them in october from a friend in Florence... he sends them overnight in a styro pack with olive oil, packed in rice. if you are a foodie Highly reccomend you try them.....

10. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    If you like truffles then having a meal at Chez Bruno in Provence is a must. Officially it is located outside of the town of Lorgues. EVERY dish there has truffles. I went to a wedding in Provence and the rehersal dinner was at Chez Bruno. The 6 course meal was comprised of 6 truffle dishes. Glad the tab was taken care of because the amount of truffles consumed in that single sitting was hard to believe!

Highly recommended :)

http://www.ginnie.com/Bruno.htm

Steelton Keith likes this.
  11. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Truffle season is upon us here in NY

I secured a seat at an Alba truffle event hosted by Michelin-starred chefs Nozomu Abe and Stefano Secchi next week , limited seating , only 2 days , probably sold out now. I am so psyched to do these over the top eating events.

chekraze and tomc like this.
  12. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Almost a 14 year thread bump.

FChat might have a handful of members who weren’t even alive when this thread began… :eek::eek::eek:

Alcav5 likes this.
  13. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al

I didn't want to be "that guy" who didn't check if there was a thread already... :);):D

JSinNOLA likes this.
  14. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Last week I drove 2,000 mile from London to Alba (via the Swiss Alps) to hunt for white truffles in the forests of Piedmont with a truffle hunter and his hound.

My wife and I drove in my 1995 456GT 6 speed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al

That is so cool.

A highly regarded NY restaurant would arrange a group trip during the season to do this , I often considered but have never done.

Did you find a good our share ?

edit - love the car btw , how did it perform , good for you and your great wife to ride along.

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    We just came back from France and I brought some Truffles with me... Melanosporum... not the Avestium vareity.

The Alba white truffles are very expensive this year ... but good. had some at Ambrosie last week.

Alcav5 likes this.
  17. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Just got back. Amazing . . .

Still dreaming of my meals.

Attached Files:

18. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Had my first truffle fix this autumn at Cipriani NYC 3 weeks ago. Bellissima!
    Not sure how they got them so early and afraid to ask
    As with everything this year the cost is astronomical but a little goes a long way. Makes everything it touches special from eggs to pasta to cheese…

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Alcav5 likes this.
  19. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    The 456 was epic for this trip. Quiet when needed and powerful when required. Also super comfortable seats!

20. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    The 456 is the most beautiful 4 seat car Ferrari has ever made by far

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

arizonaitalian likes this.
  21. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Premium truffle prices vary from where they came, as I'm sure truffle aficionados are aware. they can come from eastern europe (Hungary) and those cost significantly less.
    as someone mentioned Alba truffles are at some of the highest prices I've seen in a while. the extreme dry weather over the summer has impacted amounts, but quality is still there. saw some large 80 to 150 gram nuggets of gold $4700 euro per kilo. stuff from Hungary same size was $3700 per kilo.

chekraze, msquared and Alcav5 like this.
  22. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Veal tartare with black truffle vinaigrette at Morrel Wine Bar at Rockefeller Center. Maybe the best thing I’ve ever eaten was veal tartare with white truffles at Ristorante Flipot in Torre Pellice in Piedmont.

AtomicPunk88 and tomc like this.
  23. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I’m not one to be jealous, but alas, I must admit…..this makes me quite jealous. :cool::D:cool:

chekraze and damian in nj like this.
  24. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    The risotto with white truffles at Le Cirque Las Vegas is among the top five dishes I have had in my life. One of the others? Scrambled eggs with white truffles at Beaulieu sur Mer, Eze (many, many years ago).

AtomicPunk88 likes this.
  25. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    How was the one at Morrel? Hopefully you got a look at the tree! It was upright Sat AM.