Truffles??? no not the chocolate kind | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Truffles??? no not the chocolate kind

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Italteen3, Dec 1, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
  3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Had most of it over pasta (all six of us )with butter and olive oil. Also over sunny side up eggs shaved on top. I’m gonna have to re up .

Alcav5 and plastique999 like this.
  4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Looks scrumptious!
    Where did you get these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Alma Gourmet on Long Island. 718-433-1630. Speak with Alfredo. Truffle season is now and they will ship anywhere.

Alcav5 and AtomicPunk88 like this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I hope you are storing them - or what is left with eggs, Rice, and cream so you can infuse them with the truffle flavor! I also save scraps and make my own sea salt.... I like to use Maldon as it is wetter and absorbs the flavor very fast.

Alcav5 likes this.
  7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nothing left to store but , no need to worry I’ve placed another order to be delivered next week.

Alcav5 likes this.
  8. chekraze

chekraze Rookie

Feb 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Prashant Jyothi
    Give us a detailed trip report.

Cigarzman likes this.
  9. chekraze

chekraze Rookie

Feb 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Prashant Jyothi
    Did you rent this there? If so please provide details. Would be a dream

10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    ya know a picture in this case would be worth at least 10,000 words :)

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Al , I promise to take pics next week during round 2.

Alcav5 likes this.
  12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I've got some melanosporum coming tomorrow from Urbani.. hope they will be good.

Alcav5 and Cigarzman like this.
  13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

JSinNOLA and Alcav5 like this.
  14. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    can't wait to see.

looks like you got a pounds worth there :D

Cigarzman likes this.
  15. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I might have overdone it. It was more like truffles with a bit of pasta.

Alcav5 likes this.
  16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    That is to die for , and no you didn't over do it :D

In homage to your spectacular dish,
    I did add some of these to my dinner
    (though no dinner pic to share)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cigarzman likes this.
  17. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Alcav5 likes this.
  18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Breakfast this morning.

Attached Files:

JSinNOLA, spirot and Alcav5 like this.
  19. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    ^ breakfast of kings!

you are a bad influence... :D

Cigarzman likes this.
  20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    That looks good! I got my truffles on Monday and they were/are really fragrant ... right now they are perfuming salt, rice and eggs, and a quart of cream.... I have used them on a steak so far... I had some chanterelles and Ceps left over so I sauteed them in butter and did a quick sear on the steak, and shaved 1/2 a small truffle over it all.... forgot to take pics!

Urbani is the only one so far to have Perigord melanosporum in the US... but they are so difficult to deal with.. I can't wait for Dartaganan to get them...

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Cigarzman and Alcav5 like this.
  22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
  23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I disagree with the article, but he is correct in the artificial flavoring for Truffle oil, and other truffle-infused items. if you are a foodie - you know about the fake truffle flavor. Oil does not take on much flavor unless you heat it - truffles don't like to be cooked...

Real white or black truffles don't last too long, and when they go off they smell of ammonia. the best items to infuse with truffle odor are: fresh eggs, Cream, rice and some mild soft rind cheese. all of which you have to use in 1 month to 90 days max. the flavors will go away over time. I use a large Tupperware container filled with Carnaroli Rice - place the truffles in there with a damp cloth on top of the rice, then place eggs in there as well. leave them in the fridge for 2-5 days and you will have an intense truffle flavor ... but the rub is you cant combine many other ingredients or the truffle flavor will go away. Truffles don't like heat much - so when you cook them its hard to get the flavor out. you can freeze a fresh truffle - in parchment paper, then foil then in a sealed vacuum bag and then in a container.. when you use them I grate them frozen - you get a good immediate pop of flavor. the only way I have used fresh truffles and cooked them is with a whole Chicken. you have to completely dry the bird - especially inside - and slice the truffles slightly thicker than a shaving - put them under the skin of the bird along the lower part of the breast, along with butter. Just salt on the outside. it helps if you steam the bird vs. roasting it - put the bird in a large pot with a cover, in the bottom put a wire rack, several shallots, carrots, and some mushrooms, 1.5 cups of chicken stock, put the bring to the simmer, put the bird on the rack and cover - place in a 375F oven 35 - 40 min. strain the veg - and reduce the juice and serve with the chicken. you should have a pretty well-flavored chicken with truffles. you can do the same thing in a paper bag... just make sure its parchment paper ... shave more truffles over the sliced chicken.

you can also preserve truffles in Madeira wine... but the flavor of the truffle is not much- and the wine is ok but not really that good.. basically you end up with a shiny black ball ... that used to be used for decoration in the early 1900's for Pates and meat Jelly's.

rob lay likes this.
  24. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Just saw this thread and have enjoyed reading it. I'm a truffle maven, and made the mistake of turning my wife and kids onto them. Now they want my truffle pasta constantly.

In Houston, we have Dr. Delicacy, specializing in things like truffles, caviar, etc. They also supply some local gourmet markets with truffles, and I buy my truffles at the Central Market here. For the first time, they are carrying white truffles, and I got a nice sniff of them a few days ago. Amazing. Even the black winter truffles seem more fragrant than usual.

If you want to learn about the truffle industry and what goes on inside of it, this is probably the best book around: Truffle Boy. (Amazon link, no referrer)