Truth | FerrariChat

Truth

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Pawilly, May 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pawilly

Pawilly Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    sainthoo and Island Time like this.
  2. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Agree completely. This company has built cars that a generation of boomers have been in a life long love affair with.

They’ve now abandoned the market that brought them to the party. Me thinks Porsche has discovered that they can make just as much money by building a handful of cars if the margins are much greater on those cars.

I mean, how much more can it cost to build a collector car over a base 911? Yet the price of the collector car goes up exponentially. Same profit…fewer cars.

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm a big believer in the theory that the simplest Porsches are by far the sweetest. Which isn't to say that a GT3 isn't an amazing car, but there is something about the simplest and most direct of their cars that reminds the driver of how special they truly are.

Pawilly and Bullfighter like this.
  4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree about the special edition burnout, but…

When I owned my 328, I couldn’t afford an F40. I’m ok with that, because a 328 is a special car and I really enjoyed it.

I’ve had three Porsches — 356A Speedster, 993 cabriolet and 964 C2 coupe. The 356 Carrera Speedster was/is way out of my league, and the 993 Turbo S and 964 Turbo 3.6 are hard to buy — huge money and hard to find. But the 964 C2 is a great car, and I have seen exactly 1 other one on the road this year. My pushrod Speedster was also an amazing drive.

Porsche are very good at producing great cars that aren’t manufactured collectibles. Regular production cars can be had with pretty much whatever options you would want. Flat six? Three pedal manual? Sport seats? PTS color? Yup.

So yes, I look at the 911 Sport Classic and know it will rocket out of my price range and its tires will never see a road. But I have the pleasure of driving a 911 that holds its value and has similar quality and track credentials. I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything other than investment returns.

Is Porsche turning into Ferrari? I don’t think so. I go to PCA cars and coffee, and guys (and a few women) drive these cars hard and fast. We’ve had 914/6s parked next to GT4s, and they all get driven.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

randkin and zygomatic like this.
  5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I thought the problem wasn't demand, but rather supply?

I was talking to someone who has a 911 Turbo on order, and he said he was recently told 4 years until delivery. Apparently, among other things, the wiring harnesses are made in Ukraine.

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    FWIW, unless you need the limited edition plaque, Porsche is offering a package for regular production 911s that has everything from the interior to the gauges to the glovebox badge.

So, you can have the look, and if want the retro gearbox you can always skip the PDK.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app