Tucson visit | FerrariChat

Tucson visit

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by SuperJ, Jul 21, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I just found out that I wil be in Tucson the last weekend of this month visiting some friends. Are there any car events going on that weekend? Is there any "must-see/must-do" things that are unique to Tucson?

2. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    I can't go to Tucson and not eat at Mi Niditos..

3. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Thank you Argento839. I will keep that in mind.

No one else has any input? Is there nothing to do in Tucson?

4. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Not a lot to do here and not a lot of Ferrari owners, at least on here. I will be in Wilcox on Saturday for a track day but will be free Sunday if you get bored.

Rob

5. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Go for Mi Niditos but try to go early for lunch or mid afternoon or expect to wait a while - it's been pretty busy there since it got profiled on Man vs. Food..

If you like astronomy, check the schedule for when the telescope on the UofA campus is open to the public. Its worth checking out plus I think it's still free.

6. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Yup. Come to Phoenix, it's way better. :p

Kidding, I've only been to the UofA area. That area seemed really nice, it's a bit more modern and 'happening'.

7. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    THANKS FOR THE INPUT

When I figure out what my friends have planned, I may send you a PM.

What's Mi Niditos specialty? I'm not going to have to eat a burrito as big as my head am I? :)
    I hear this may be one of the best places on earth for astronomy research so I may have to check into it.

I appreciate your honesty!

8. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    The Bill Clinton El Presidente Plate but of course!

9. Fritz Ficke

Fritz Ficke Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2006
    Tucson, AZ.
    Full Name:
    Fritz Ficke
    #9 Fritz Ficke, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
    If you like airplane museums, The 'Pima air and Space Museum' in Tucson is one of the largest in the country with tours from there of the Air force bone yard.

Touring the only intact ICBM missile silo is very interesting 30 miles from Tucson.

The drive up Mt. Lemmon is neat if you have a fun car it is even better, desert to pine trees in 20 miles , a real climb.

Tucson is known for the Sonoran style Mexican food, stopping at a street vender and having a having a Sonoran or Obregon hot dog or any Mexican food will not disappoint.

Southern AZ is the only place in the USA that Saguaro cactus grows and a evening,morning walk or drive of the 'Saguaro National Monument' East on the or West side of Tucson is a international attraction, about 9 mile loop.

Tucson's University is where the giant lens are made for telescopes around the world and is fun to tour the facility and going to Kitt Peak to see one in action is also satisfying if you have an astronomy urge. Clear dry air makes it one of the best viewing areas in this country

There is of course much more and I would suggest goggling some of these for exact address and times etc.
    Have fun.

10. Hayson

Hayson Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jason E. Lee
    7/30/2011 Saturday SIR Summit Super Series Race #8 3pm 3:00 PM
    http://sidragway.com/

Sep 4-5 Tucson Motorshow 260 S Church Ave Tucson AZ US http://www.tucsonmotorshow.com/

You do realize it will be 90+ degrees at 9PM all summer in Tucson...

I would almost recommend spending time at one of the bars at Vantana Canyon Resort you will see better cars and people their and the drinks and atmopshere are much cooler.

11. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I went to college in Tucson. There is stuff to do there if you're into outdoors things but in the summer for someone not use to it, that can be an issue. There are many horse ranches, etc., but as I am not a horse person, I cannot make any recommendations. There's lots of golf, cycling, running, etc. What Tucson is really known for is its spas and its views. It also has REALLY good food. Also, if you're inclined, I could hook you up with some frat buddies who still live there. ;) Let me know if you want some recommendations.

Mark

12. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    Great call. The aircraft boneyard, the Pima Air & Space Museum and the Titan Missile Museum are all worth seeing. There is an SR-71 on display as well as the Kennedy Air Force One and many other cool planes at the Air & Space Museum.

Another good thing to check out in Tucson is Colossal Cavern.

13. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Great suggestions, I really like the idea of the air force bone yard and the Saguaro National Monument.

As for the weather, it may actually be cooler there than here. This heat wave has been brutal.

Thanks for the input Mark. I will be staying with a horse trainer friend of mine, so I will probably work horses every morning.

Now about those frat buddies, hhhmmm??? as the eyebrow raises...

That looks interesting too!

Things are looking up in Tucson. I was also thinking about spending a little time at the Ritz Carlton spa, maybe hang pool side for a minute or two?

14. AronAZ

AronAZ Karting

Jul 13, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    +1 for Fritz

Of course golf is de rigueur here. Unfortunately, sports are pretty much out of season (except what might be the last AAA baseball games.) There is also the Sonoran Desert Museum (outdoor zoo) if you don't mind paying for a morning walk. Anything outdoor is going to be best in morning or evening. It cools off reasonably in the evening to enjoy a patio.

If you don't mind driving out of town an hour or so, there is Tombstone and Karchner Caverns.

If you can book it, Friday nights at Casa Vicente is a hoot with live music and flamenco. Its a Spanish restaurant serving great paella & sangria.

Not sure what age group you typically hang out with, but younger crowd will be found on University Ave at UofA or 4th Ave (although not as hopping since school is out). Bison Witches is my favorite lunch on 4th and their yummy bloody mary's are on special on Sundays. Downtown is making a comeback, younger to mixed crowd. There may be a concert at Club Congress even.

Mixed patrons at the restaurants/bars at La Encantada. There are a handful of other restaurants surrounding it. Tavolino, in the plaza across the street, has lost a step from its humble beginning but still good.

Last thing, try an eegee at eegee's. You'll only find them here and a great match for summer. I'd also say Yelp is your friend.

15. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Well Tucson was great and I really enjoyed my visit. RobZ, sorry we weren't able to meet. I always enjoy meeting fellow Fchatters, but maybe next time because I will definitely be back.

Time passed too quickly so I didn't get to do all that I wanted but here were the highlights:
    - Ate at the Cup Cafe in the Hotel Congress (where John Dillinger was captured)
    - Spent the day on Mt Lemon, hiking and generally having a wander. Loved the changes of landscape and temperature with the elevation changes. The views were incredible.
    - Rode a Norwegian (it was a type of horse and not a cute Scandinavian boy) :)
    - Rode a Fat Boy (type of motorcycle and not me relaxing my standards in men) ;)
    - Spent time at the Tanque Verde Dude ranch which is a lovely resort and had great food
    - Got harassed by a coyote
    - ate my first In and Out burger
    - drank nearly 75% of a bottle of Presecco by myself (I had never had that before and let me just say - I'm a fan!)
    - and most importantly, spent quality time with my friends - PRICELESS

16. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Glad you enjoyed your stay!

17. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    you could have visited the boyhood home of our very own CAS.

18. SuperJ

SuperJ F1 Rookie

Dec 22, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Thank you. I'll be back.

OMG! Where were the signs?! I didn't see the monument that the state must have erected in his honor?! The tourism board should hear about this and make corrections immediately! :p

19. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I remember my first time, too..... :D

I've only been to I&O like 5 times in my life....but boy oh boy is it YUMMY! :D