Twitchy Throttle | FerrariChat

Twitchy Throttle

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Shack, Sep 23, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Just an observation having only driven my 2011 458 3-4 times since I got it (2 weeks ago). The throttle seems quite twitchy especially in 1st gear. I was told by the dealer that the car "learns" your driving style and adapts.

Is this true or does the car need a trip to the dealer?

ShadowLAP and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  2. Moogle

Moogle Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The car does indeed have a level of adaptation to one's driving style, how much this would effect your perceived twitchy throttle is anyone's guess.
    Many reviews and drivers have also corroborated the highly sensitive throttle, which is much better with the near gearbox compared to the older, single clutch units.
    You get used to it and learn to modulate your inputs.

ShadowLAP likes this.
  3. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I have had my '11 for a year and it has not learned not to be twitchy yet. Higher gears and soft shock setting on bumpy roads are the order of the day.

ShadowLAP likes this.
  4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Is it worse in race mode?

Better in sport?

5. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I have about 3,500 miles on my 2012 coupe and yes the throttle is twitchy in first gear with race mode being the most reactive. It seems that the car settles down once it's warmed up and driven a bit aggressively. I always thought it just needed to be blown out. FYI, sports mode is more forgiving.

6. GFL

GFL Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    New York City
    4 weeks 600 miles on mine. Agreed with everything above, the car just wants to accelerate or decelerate, if you give it revs (i.e. floor it) I found that it won't be twitchy anymore. Like a sports motorcycle I found that it's happy and stable when it always has revs (4-5k, I rode my motorbike with 10k revs all the time, that's how it's meant to be ridden). In NYC, the car chokes, twitches like it's 3am in the morning and you couldn't get to sleep turning and flipping in bed. Sports mode better but I often just put it in "Auto" mode when the traffic gets heavy in the city-the computer seems to understand the situation and smooths everything out. And when the NYC crowd waves and demands some noise, I put it in "Race" and satisfies their request-always happy to entertain.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Your dealer is correct. Some think it's twitchy. I have no problem with it. The car has a lot of torque at the low end, which I like.

I also always use the "bumpy road" button all the time and only in Race mode. Race mode.... ah! :)

ShadowLAP, xfrgtr and Melvok like this.
  8. 2k7997tt

2k7997tt Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    John M.
    Yes. The engine is happier (smoother) at higher RPM's. In Race Mode, in low gear, at low speed, I find it very difficult to cruise at 5-10 MPH smoothly. If I want smooth, I switch to Auto Mode and Sport. The 458 becomes a Lexus at this speed.

Melvok and kandi like this.
  9. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Thanks all - Interesting on soft shock setting - will try this.

10. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I must have the most gentle foot in the world. Likely a product of my father yelling at me as a "boy" when learning to drive. Whenever I would accelerate harder than he thought appropriate, all hell broke loose. He told me how much I was tearing up the transmission and wasting gas and tires. 40 years of driving later, I am not a stranger to ripping off 9 grand shifts. But, in normal driving, I am very attuned to how minor inputs feel. When I first got my 458 I thought I would never learn to modulate throttle at low RPMs. Within a week or 2 the car became second nature to drive. I never had another "jerky" moment.Did my brain figure it out? Did the car figure it out? Who knows? Like anything, I think it may be just acclimating yourself to where throttle catches. I had an M3 that I hated as I could ride down the highway and literally get the throttle to not know what I wanted. It caused the car to kind of kick when my foot was in a certain position. I have been able to do this on virtually all modern BMWs that have a manual gearbox. Once I learned the nuances of the 458 I could drive it a gently as I wanted with NO twitchiness. I hope your experience is the same over time. Try driving it around town, not the highway as you will learn the car's throttle response better in my opinion. Regards

jem890 and Melvok like this.
  11. Hakan458

Hakan458 Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Hakan
    The only time I have driven a 458 it was in race mode and I definitely found the throttle to be twitchy in 1st gear. After that it's not bad.

12. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Agree...this is why I call my 458 a "caged beast".

xfrgtr and Melvok like this.
  13. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Very high compression ratio engines are going to be super responsive. You get instant response for slight inputs. The price you pay is this "twitchyness." Maybe it can be tamed with software, but I'm not sure you want to. It may lose some of that responsiveness.

At the other extreme are the turbos. No twitchyness. No response. Only lag.

I'll take the twitch.

14. -EZtrader-

-EZtrader- Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    mine was extremely twitchy - -and downright annoying. . . .even when accelerating - coasting easily on highway - -it was aggravating. . . there was no fix . . .either have to deal with it, or sell it. . .

i sold it - - market has strong demand right now...

ShadowLAP likes this.
  15. Jdriver

Jdriver Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Have had mine for nearly two weeks and 450 miles and have not experienced any twitchiness. Perhaps the dealer could take a look at your car and make an adjustment of some type.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think the bumpy road setting may help avoid the car porpoising causing your foot to hit the pedal if it lurches forward. Just a guess.

ShadowLAP likes this.
  17. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I will take mine on a proper drive next week and see how we go. Its just that its different to my 430 and I am getting used to it

Melvok likes this.
  18. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Not sure about that...it's the high torque and instant response causing the twitching no matter how controled you are with the gas peddle.

19. not4one

not4one Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    CT, FL
    Low speed doesn't really bother me...putting it in Auto works fine unless you're trying to push it. On the contrary, I find it a pain in 7th gear at cruising speed (60+ mph)...it is very hard (no, impossible) to fine tune the speed by a few mph without causing an on/off throttle sensation. I realize it's because the engine is wound up at just about any speed and a sports car should have a sensitive throttle for the track, but I do wish it had some kind of lazy throttle software switch (or a really tall 8th gear) for when you're on a highway just cruising from a to b. Makes me glad I got the cruise control, but unfortunately you can't use it in all traffic conditions.

20. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    What I've noticed/discovered -

The Bumpy setting adjusts the electronic shock damping; makes it more compliant, so the car will tend to pitch/roll a bit more. As you go up from Wet (softest) to Sport (firm) to Race and beyond, the electronics in the suspension get firmer and firmer (and ride less compliant). The stability/traction controls also relax as you move up.

The throttle maps change as well as you go up; so less about the throttle pedal itself, more about how the engine wants to respond to a given throttle position. I've found Sport to be moderate, I did have to adjust my right foot a bit. Given the power/torque band of the engine, all this is exacerbated in lower gears and at the point in the torque curve where it starts coming on....almost like a tipping point.

Gear selection can help (go up or down). Auto setting tends to have the gearbox drive the car; it's always trying to get into a highest possible gear. I've noticed Auto tends to dampen the twitch, but unsure if that's a different map setting or just using higher gearing.

My cure is to use Sport in town/stop-and-go driving. If you must have the Race exhaust sound, and dislike the throttle responsiveness, perhaps consider a Capristo valve opener.

BTW on long highway stretches, the Bumpy setting is very nice; try it on/off and notice the level of vibration in the car drop ever so much. Smart feature/add.

YMMV

Melvok likes this.
  21. ktm

ktm Formula Junior

May 24, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Kieran
    I could be wrong but I think the 2012 software updates cured the twitchy throttle issues. this can be done at your dealer..... but at a cost

Melvok likes this.
  22. -EZtrader-

-EZtrader- Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Exactly-- hard to describe -- but u nailed it.

23. mrizkallah23

mrizkallah23 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark Rizkallah
    ill trade you my prius for your 458...its got a really heavy throttle until you press it all the way down and activate power mode! Ill take that annoying throttle issue car off your hands...you should not have to deal with such issues :)

24. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have a 2012 and no problem I am aware of. I usually drive in manual but do use automatic when in heavy traffic. Best

Melvok likes this.
  25. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Nope, I have a 2012 coupe and it's still got a twitchy, hair trigger in race mode and first gear.