Two high mirrors on a TR | FerrariChat

Two high mirrors on a TR

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Dutchman, Sep 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Hi all,

I am looking at the single mirror (monospecchio) Testarossa's.
    (especially after seeing Rick's TR in the Concorso Italiano video).

Recently I found a pretty 1985 Ferrari Testarossa for sale but it has two high mirrors.
    Is this aftermarket? Or was this a factory option?
    Can the passenger mirror easily be removed?

Thanks,

Ton

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Could you see anything out of the passenger mirror (mounted that high)?

I would guess it would cost at least as much to neatly remove as it did to put it there in the first place - maybe a couple thousand.

BTW - I am perfectly happy with my 86 and just the one mirror. You just have to turn your head and look out the window. Why anyone would do this (add a second high mirror) is beyond my comprehension.

peteficarra likes this.
  3. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hi Ton,

Thanks for the 'mention'! I'm still floating around in the clouds...

I had always thought that the dual high mirrors was a non-factory option but last spring on the way to Monterey, a fellow TR owner (he owns like 3 or 4 now) had a dual mirror TR that he says was ordered that way from the factory. I have no reason to doubt him - he is very knowledgeable about the TRs - and I think he said he has the "sticker" to prove it.

It can be removed but not without some minor body work, paint, etc.

Personally, I don't get it...I wouldn't have my early TR any other way than a pure "monospecchio". I've heard you can't see a damn thing out of that passenger mirror anyway and besides...don't you always look over your shoulder anyway? I do.

Last thought, if in doubt, press the accelerator hard and just move to the right! :D

4. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    #4 chabch, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
    At Concorso I was chatting with one of the TR judges, and he did tell me as well that factory dual flying mirror Testarossas did exist for a short period of time right before the mirrors were lowered. Based on this I'm not sure it's been factory mounted on an 85.

5. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    #5 Dutchman, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I have heard that this is the way Lewis Hamilton does it...

BTW, does anybody know (just as a matter of interest) if that passenger mirror has an electric adjustment system? That would add to the cost quite a bit if true...

7. chabch

chabch Formula 3

Aug 15, 2010
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    On Testarossas with the lowered mirrors yes, both are electric mirrors.

8. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Thanks, I meant the aftermarket or factory high mirrors.

9. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Are the single mirrors electrical adjustable?

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Can you find switches on the drivers side ...?

/five likes this.
  11. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    one high mirrror or two low ones - everything else looks just wrong!

12. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Yep, there's a little joystick in the center console.

13. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    My friend told me that his were both electrically adjustable as it was a factory option on the car. He explained the difference on the console between his and mine but I don't recall the details.

14. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Agreed. Whenever I see one with 2 high mirrors, I can't help but immediately think of the Mickey Mouse caps they sell at Disney World. Sorry, no offense intended to owners, it's just my silly little mind at work.

Bradwilliams likes this.
  15. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    There would have to be a switch to send the joystick signal to one side or the other. On my single mirror car, there is just the joystick because there is just the one mirror.

I agree with everyone else - two high mirrors look very strange to me.

Besides the fact that many people say you cannot see anything from the passenger side mirror.

16. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    The only use for the passenger side High Mirror is so the passenger can see behind.

I looked at a dual High Miror car and, based on my seat position, could not even see the mirror enough to use it.

CC

17. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    It could be the angle, but the mirror on the passenger side looks different from the driver side.

18. FMofAtl Parts

FMofAtl Parts Karting

Jan 5, 2010
    Roswell, GA
    Full Name:
    FMofAtl Parts
    I had many customers ask about doing this back when the cars were new and a couple who actually did it.

The TRs only came with drivers side mirrors so you simply ordered the drivers side mirror for a RHD car. Since they were all powered, you could hook it up to be adjustable if you desired.

The passenger side a-pillar pretty much blocked the view of the mirror from the drivers seat so they were not much benefit in driving.

Some people thought it balanced the look of the car.

19. RC000E

RC000E Rookie

Aug 26, 2006
    Mine is dual mirrored and it definitely balances out the car. The single high mirror really stands out on the car, and in my opinion the single mirror ages the car. I am about balance and I love the fact my car is dual. I do use the passenger mirror for parallel parking, as I can lean over just a little and use it just fine.

20. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Some of us call that "character".

21. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    +1

22. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    There was a TR on ebay a while ago...that had one of each! A driver's side high mount, and a passenger's side low mount.....I asked the seller.....WHY!? Never got a response...

23. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Had he also removed the side strakes?

24. mmartinho

mmartinho Rookie

Oct 3, 2012
    I am one of those guys that has one high and one low mirror on his '86 Testarossa and not happy with the look. I want to change the driver's side to a window mount mirror. Anyone know where I can find the entire assembly for that?

technik1 likes this.
  25. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This would be an expensive proposition. For major parts it looks like you would need a different mirror ($1,600), window frame ($3,200), and support panel ($622). Those are Ricambi prices, and don't include some of the other more minor hardware. Not sure about availability, though last time I was at FerrParts they had a sizable stock of OEM mirrors, new in the box in most colors. The window frame may be harder to come by. If you're serious I'd keep an eye out for someone parting out a later TR.

Is the low RH mirror correctly mounted (with the parts above) or was the small window removed and filled with a custom plate?...or mounted low on the A-pillar...just wondering.

I have a later 88 with both low mirrors and still don't trust them so I do a lot of looking over my shoulders--just saying both mirrors low is still not the 100% solution.

The purist in me says remove the incorrect RH mirror and fill the holes/re-paint...