Type A Daytona | FerrariChat

Type A Daytona

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Daytonafan, Dec 11, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    In the Bonhams Gstaad Catalogue one of the Daytona's is described as a 'desirable Type A'. I have heard of this before and lots of conjecture about different carbs and compression ratios but, but I have never been able to identify exactly what the difference (if any) between a Type A and a regular car is other than an A in the serial number. Does anyone know?

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    There was a discussion of this on the old board; search in archives. I seem to recall that it really meant flip up headlights, rather than the plexi-nose, but has been misinterpreted to mean that the engine is hotter. G. Rousch has discussed this on the old board; i'd have to check if he addresses it in his now out of print book, which i have a copy of somewhere. Anybody else?

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    My understanding is that it simply means a Euro spec car produced after the flip up headlamps became standard. To my knowledge, its that simple. I have heard of people saying the A code cars had specials engines or more power.... but I dont think there is any basis in fact for that.

Terry

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I remember reading something that the A was added in the first few series. Like 365 GTB/4A, Don't know what it meant, Maybe I can look it up.

5. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Thanks for the posts, I know that it is not just a Euro Car with pop ups as mine is a Euro car and has pop ups (built in 73) but isn't a type A as there is no A at the end of the vin number. I have seen Daytona's with an A on the vin number but never realised the significance before.

6. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    I have done extensive research into this, and determined the following. The type A designation was used during the changeover to electrically operated headlamps. As the US cars could not be fitted with the plexiglass cover, they had the "pop-ups" instead. Eventually all production went this route, but during the transition the A designation was used to identify such cars. I have searched all the Parts Manuals and Shop Manual on the Daytona looking for listings of other pistons and cams, but nothing is published. Consequently, to my knowledge there is no engine differentiation. The factory "Comp Daytonas" (15) used stock engines initially, and eventually the last batch had higher compression and more radical "P6" cams with a little more lift and duration. There was also an ultra-rare 3.90:1 final drive gearset available. However these parts were not used on production cars, including the "Type A".

7. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Thanks for that. that seems to clear that up.

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks