UK Speeding question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DavidC458, Aug 4, 2018.

1. New FerrariChat Miami Video w/updates on venues and entrants! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq9K3CzZYWs
  1. DavidC458

DavidC458 Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    David C
    THEORETICALLY, if you were speeding and you came across a speed camera van facing the front of your car and you have no front plate, do they also have a camera at the front to catch your rear Reg as you drive past??

2. francisn

francisn Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I talked to the Sussex Speed Camera guys at the Festival of Speed a few years ago and yes, they did have cameras for front and back, specifically to deal with bikes. If one has them then I suspect they all do.
    AFAIR the main camera records the speed and the supplementary one checks the rear numberplate. No reason to suspect he was just saying it.

3. DavidC458

DavidC458 Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    David C
    Ok then theoretically I am #$¥#ed.

458 Spider for sale soon

4. francisn

francisn Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Theoretically - how fast were you going?

5. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Exeter and Cirencester
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds pretty logical to me.

6. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    Wait until the ticket arrives. I have had some miraculous escapes, including stopping and talking to the guy and gal in a camera van who said they had packed up half an hour earlier and didn’t take my pic.

7. LIW

LIW Rookie

May 13, 2014
    OK, I had a similar experience to the original poster. F12 No front plate, 30mph zone, just driving normally. I went past a camera van, then looked at the speedo, it was just over 30mph, 5 mins later i crept back down the same road, in the fill knowledge the van was there, and i did not think i was exceeding 30.

anyway, no front plate.

Three weeks later TWO pay or go to court notices SP30 fro 33Mph and 31Mph. No mention or additional documentation for failure to display of the Index plate !

2 X 3 points and 2X £60 fines. No worries, better nicked twice at 30 than once at ??? ;-)

8. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Rookie

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
  9. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Never heard of anyone getting tickets for under 33mph.
    Did you annoy them somehow!

10. A348W

A348W Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Damn. I would have taken that to court requesting calibration certificates etc etc.

Whilst I cant abide people speeding in 20 & 30 mph areas, this just shows the stupidity of some of this!!!

Talk about mismanaging risk!

11. mello

mello Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Amazing. The mechanical odo needle is only within +/-10% accurate.

12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Some forces apparently have a zero tolerance, the ten percent plus 2mph is the ACPO guideline, but it isnt law, just the standard idea.

However, for under 40 in a 30, you’d usually get offered the speeding course, regardless of the second ticket, as they are separate offences and cannot be used together thus removing your right to a course (no points, just a fine)

I don’t believe camera vans Have cameras in the front as well as the back, but it may depend on the van. Cops like to tell you all sorts to make you think you have to slow down, and many times they are chuckling under their breath. The likelihood is they got the guy with two tickets as the same FERRARI went past within a matter of minutes, so they made the assumption, and you were kind enough to pay. Years ago, a certain person ran a jaguar Xjr supercharged around for work meetings, and had NO PLATES on it most of the time. Went past cameras and vans all the time. Because there are millions of blue jaguars in the area, they wouldn’t be able to find the specific one alone and nick him for speeding because they’d have to go to every owner of a blue Jag in the country and PROVE it wasn’t them in order to nick him. Ferrari, well, there ain’t many of them around, and they’d enjoy the investigation if it took the licence off someone doing well enough to own a ferrari.

To get around the no plates issue, he had a broken set always in the boot, and a set of plates at home. If He got stopped, He’d tell them kids had broken them off, show them the ones in the boot, and take the producer to show up with the plates refitted. Once he’d done that, he’d take them off again!

You have to remember. Speeding is an outright offence. If they stop you, and you do not admit the speed, or even going too fast - such as saying ‘morning officer, I don’t know why you stopped me, I was travelling at the speed limit’ - they cannot stick you on unless they have calibrated equipment and can prove your speed. Most cop cars, except traffic, don’t have calibrated equipment, and hardly anyone will Cary out the calibration checks on their vehicle at the start of a shift.

You will not believe how many times cops have stopped me, and I have not received any ticket of any kind, just by knowing the above. I could write my own thread with the fun and games I’ve had with Plod, all to no avail for them, just some embarrassed faces

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They will tell you till they are blue in the face that they will take your licence off you, they think you are a criminal, that you will go to court, blah blah blah

Remain calm, state clearly ‘I’m sorry officer, you must be mistaken, I was travelling at the speed limit, which is. ............. if you have physical proof of any offence, please show me this evidence.’ They will soon be huffing and puffing, checking your tyres, your lights, your documentation (and don’t show them your licence unless you want to, it annoys them, but you haven’t done anything wrong remember), and trying find any reason to give you a ticket for something.

If you admit speeding/going too fast/late for a meeting etc etc, they no longer have to prove the speed you were doing, you have just admitted the offence - ‘sorry, I was late so I was going a bit quick’ is all they need. No proof, no proving anything, your admission gets you the ticket, and at 30 over remember, it’s a ban

Be careful out there..... cops are out to get you, not protect you. If they were into protecting you, the most detected crime in the uk wouldn’t be speeding, it would be robbery, or mugging

14. A348W

A348W Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I had a long argument with the head of Wiltshire speed camera partnership when they had one. (Fortunately its gone.)

If the camera scheme is about saving lives, and you are positioning them near accident black spots why are the vans unmarked? Surely they should be highly visible to warn people they are approaching an accident black spot, thus providing mitigation to the prevention of a potential hazard, thus saving lives?

If you are posting the vans at accident black spots, what counts as an accident black spot? As I've lived here 10 plus years and there has never been an accident here. Surely if this is about saving lives, should they not be AT accident black spots, rather than tucked conveniently 1/2 in a bush at the bottom of a long straight hill?

All arguments of logic and common sense fell on deaf ears; but then they are lowly civil servants and you get what you pay for...plus off course the quota system they undoubtedly had, the need to make money, as per the speed awareness courses, run by private companies which are not doing anything at a loss!

But there you go...as Sid says, admit nothing...innocent until proven guilty and challenge everything.

daytona355 likes this.