UK Speeding question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

UK Speeding question

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DavidC458, Aug 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DavidC458

DavidC458 Rookie

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    David C
    Hi all. After a nervous wait it appears they may not have cameras to catch you rear plate. If they did I would for sure have had something through the post.

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Speeding fines are a racket.

How about receiving minus 3 points for doing under 30 in a 30 zone ? It should work both ways. It's all about safety right ?

Motorists are treated as mobile cashpoint machines

3. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    That explains a lot if its accurate. I got a £30 fixed penalty notice that was not speeding. The officer filled in the Offence Code N017, though his handwriting is terrible.

I came up behind an unmarked police car stopped at a red light, in the right hand lane of two lanes. Twenty metres behind, the light started to change and instead of slowing behind him, as I was going to; to stop, I moved into the left lane, floored it and went past the police car just as he started to move, over the speed limit.

Immediately the police car accelerated, veered into my lane, blue lights flashed in the grill, I noticed the flash in my mirror and pulled in. The police man was in a rage, and said I was being stopped for speeding at over 70mph. I thought they had a recording of my speed, but I didn't think I was going that fast.

I decided to be as polite as possible, but said I couldn't have been speeding as I had slowed to a stop for the traffic light and had pulled into the left lane as I intended to take the left turn a few hundred metres ahead, not for the purpose of undertaking. However, to try and be conciliatory I said I had set off from the light rather fast and I apologised for that.

He was fuming and he inspected the scan of my driving licence on my phone for ages, and checked it and the registration over his radio. When that all checked out he spoke with his colleague for about 5 minutes and when he came back he said he intended to let me off lightly with the £30 fixed penalty notice. However, his body language was fuming still. I had to go to the police station with my insurance later.

I think they hadn't seen me behind them; the first they saw was when I appeared at their left, noisy and zoomed off. I think there was an element of cat and mouse. He just reacted, blue lights on immediately. I sensed he couldn't pin the speeding on me, but I didn't know why.

daytona355 likes this.
  4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

If you do get something call mr loophole.

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

They have to prove the offence, and any town car won’t have been calibrated. When I’m stopped (less frequently these days due to my illness reducing my driving time), I wait till they ask the variation of ‘do you know why I stopped you?’ And Immedistely its ‘no, why??’

They will state ‘you were going a bit quick’, or ‘speeding’ or whatever. Simply state ‘I don’t believe I was, I am convinced I was travelling at the speed limit. How did you ascertain your estimate of speed?’

They may state they have video (they have to me many times). Don’t assume they have, ask to see the video, they will likely choke and try to deflect the enquiry. If they do, you are within your rights to drive off, although they will just radio ahead. If they have no video, and cannot produce a calibration certificate, they cannot stick you on for speeding, REGARDLESS of their personal opinion. In court, you would simply state that in your opinion, he was merely jealous of s nice car, and the judge will throw the case out, it’s happened to me before.

They can threaten you all they want, expecting people to cave, and of course 99% do. I’m a nasty person with little respect for their ineptitude and ineffectiveness, and I have had them pull me over so many times, it holds no fears for me. You have to be able to front them out, as they rely on people thinking that the police can say what they want and do what they want. At least in the UK, this is NOT TRUE.

PM me and I can tell you plenty of great and funny incidents I’ve had with UK, Us and Euro cops at various times, they are a hoot, although in Florida they did threaten to lock me up (and Louisiana, and Texas!)

6. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I don’t think they do mate, but depending on the car, you have to be careful. There aren’t many 458s around, and even less when broken down into colours.... be careful they don’t knock on your door one day asking where you were on such and such a day. Just say you don’t know, cannot remember ever being there, in fact you think that was when you were in London for the week for work.... they will disappear if you front them out