Underdressed | FerrariChat

Underdressed

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Nader, Nov 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I'm very casual, low-key, and at times, grubby. I do a lot of DIY projects with my house and cars. I recognize my clothes reflect it. The other day I went to the auto parts store to pick up a few bottles of brake fluid. Drove my knock-around e30 BMW to run the errand.

The parts guy at the counter pointed out that the brake fluid was DOT 4.

I said I know.

He asked if it was for a Volvo or something like that.

I said no. (embarrassment creeping in).

He asked what it was for.

I blurted out Ferrari. (Being a new owner, I don't think I pulled it off right)

He kind of lit up, and asked who's it was.

Because obviously it couldn't be mine. I was wearing a 10 year old drab olive henley shirt and slightly shabby cargo pants. And my hair was a mess. Hand me a sign and I could beg for your spare change.

I kind of figured with a Ferrari I'd have to dress a little nicer, clean up a bit to drive the car. It deserves that. But to even shop for it while in a different car, I wasn't prepared for that slight embarrassment.

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Why be embarrassed?

3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I don't know Steve McQueen the king of cool dressed pretty grubby in some of his "best Ferrari and Porsche pictures". Perhaps you can pull it off as well, not so sure I would spend much time worrying about it.

4. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    probably more that very few Fcar owners are doing their own maintenance than your clothing choice

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    So now you need to be dressed up at the parts store? Funny. What's with the DOT4 question anyway, I use DOT4 as a standard. Its the DOT5.1 that's the big jump.

6. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Dude, dress however the hell you want. Who are you trying to impress? Trying to fit someone else's idea of what you should look like is the antithesis of cool.

Mark

Boomhauer and JAM1 like this.
  7. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I just thought it was a funny anecdote. It's no big deal.

Hmm, I used to be better at telling stories like this. I'll show myself out...

8. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#8 Cigarzman, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So a friend of mine teaches a psyche class at Ringling School of Art here in Sarasota. I ran into her at Starbucks with her students who were there to observe people and turn in a paper . She calls me and said one of her students observed me. She sent me his observation. I asked her what a complete bum meant , she said it's a bum with all the bells and whistles. LMAO !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

RWP137 and JAM1 like this.
  9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's hilarious!!

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Hmm. You were expecting something else?
    ;)

11. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I understood what you meant and I appreciated your story, but some people just can't resist getting in a little dig.

12. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I guess not. Once a bum always a bum. You can sing a thousand songs and it doesn't make you a singer , you dress like a bum , you're always a bum. :)

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    ;)

Bums through out the world are offended!

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

My wife's grandfather was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates up through the 80's. John Galbreath. He took her car shopping once wearing coveralls. Went into the dealer in his dirty horse barn attire.

Walked up to a salesguy who ignored him. Went to the owner and explained who he was. The owner helped them buy a car. Salesguy missed a sale, owner didn't. I betcha that salesguy got quite a lecture later.

See, it's like this. No one should make assumptions. Your salesguy at the autoparts store blew it, not you. NOT A DAMN THING FOR YOU TO BE EMBARRASSED ABOUT.

He assumed you were buying the wrong stuff, then he assumed you were fixing the car for someone else.

Dress how you want, shop where you feel like. It's not like you were headed to a wedding.

Oh, and next time go to pick up stuff in the Ferrari, all dressed up. Betcha he tries to upsell you a bunch of crap you don't need.

D

15. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Very astute observation - other than the hair - that is always great my friend.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    A complete bum on a bicycle. You now have something to aspire to!

17. tikitiki

tikitiki Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2014
    Windermere, Fl
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm the observes defense. The first time we met up you told me to look for the guy that looked "homeless"

18. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Nothing to be embarrassed about, who cares really. I don't dress like a bum but on the weekends pretty casually, shorts and a t-shirt. I'd rather dress like that and drive a Ferrari than all snooty...

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    #19 VIZSLA, Nov 14, 2016
  20. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    #20 19633500GT, Nov 14, 2016
    ^^^^^

I've shared a cigar, good food, and hellacious rides (in his 458) with that "bum" ;)

Kirk marched to his own beat, can't beat it lol

(This was in cigar section too :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

RWP137 likes this.
  21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    LOL... one day about 7 years ago my friend and I are waiting after lunch at the Bellagio for his car to come out of the valet. There's this unkept, heavyset bearded guy in sandals, socks, sweatpants and mismatched button up shirt. As we're waiting a valet pulls out with a yellow Maserati GT with big wheels and the guy gets in. WTH?! My friend and I laugh about how bizarre that was.

Fast forward six months, and an Fchatter from Texas refers me a local client, an old poker buddy of his. In walks this guy! I asked him right away, "Do you have a yellow Maserati?" Yep. I died laughing. I told him how we thought he was homeless and then he gets into this flashy Maser. He was a retired car dealer whose family were $B (I went and hung out with them once in San Diego, was a trip). Was a great, generous client until his untimely passing.

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    There's a famous story about a (deceased) FC member who walked into a F dealer, looking scruffy on his 18th birthday and put the remaining .01 of the price as a deposit on a (then) new F 40, only to come back with the cashiers check for the remaining 7XX.XXX later in the day.

23. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    My wife and I look like slobs when we are working on our buildings. Dripping in paint, jeans torn, hair a mess... My wife wears her Rolex while doing it to feel just a bit of dignity, she jokes. No one notices.

She was asking a new neighbor what he charges for rent by one of our buildings, as we just wanted to stay competitive. He looked her over, top to bottom, and said "You can't afford it. Did you think about applying for assistance?" :)

Sam Walton was a hero of mine. A billionaire driving a beat up pick up truck. God bless...

24. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I have no need to impress anyone so I dress as I like. That is usually a golf shirt, shorts and driving shoes. I prefer to fly under the radar where no one knows if I have money or not.

25. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    About 10 years ago I had a front yard landscaping project going on when one of my neighbors was just moving in. She was surprised to see me again a couple weeks later, because she thought I was a hired laborer on that project.