Underdressed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Underdressed

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Nader, Nov 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Back when I was first getting into Ferraris, I accompanied an owner to the '89 FCA meet in Atlanta. We were walking the paddock at Road Atlanta when he first mentioned Preston Henn to me. He went on to describe all the Ferraris he had and that he dressed like a complete hillbilly. I learned from then on never to judge a person on their looks.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Some of you guys have SEEN me when I'm coming back from the ranch. I wouldn't win any awards from GQ magazine. When I drive between my house in the city and the ranch I drive a Jeep which gets washed by driving through one of the cattle ponds or an F250 which usually has a few bales of hay or bags of trash in the bed! When I'm in the city I try to dress a little better. Sometimes if I'm coming back to town in the evening I'll meet the Mrs. at Flemings or Del Friscos. I valet park. You should see the look on the valet's face when this mud covered vehicle pulls up and a guy in a suit gets out. <laughing>

zygomatic likes this.
  3. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Today was the first day I actually DROVE the 348 I bought several weeks ago. Until now it was a lot of poking and prodding at the car, trying to get over the mystique and my own sense of intimidation I had built up over the marque. I know, it's just a 348. But this is the spaceship of a car from my college days. Like they say, it's hard to meet your hero...

I set off when it was dark (in the PNW, it gets dark at 4:00 PM), so I didn't care that I looked my casual self. Especially since it was a "point A to point A" drive. Clothes for the occasion were sourced from Costco. Unintentionally. Another cheap long sleeve henley, oatmeal color, with a waffle weave pattern looking suspiciously like thermal underwear. Navy fleece long pants with drawstring waste, a couple inches too long, so I roll the cuffs.

Costco. I don't shop for clothes there, but somehow these pieces fall into my possession as gifts or loaners from family. Come to think of it, I haven't really shopped for myself anywhere since I stopped dating and got married over a decade ago.

Anyway, the drive was great. I love the car, and I feel like I've de-mystified the beast. Got over my minor complex. Maybe next time I'll look the part.

4. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #29 Nader, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Really stepped up my game tonight. Put on the Banana Republic cotton pullover, and pair of Seven jeans that I strongly suspect are counterfeit (got them on eBay NWT for $40), and drove the Ferrari to Trader Joe's for a booze run. I parked away from the crowd, which adds points for style :).

Dark Horse cab for $7.50, and Fris (umlaut over the i) vodka for about the same. That cheap vodka came in a relatively nice glass bottle, so that and the umlaut are subtle signs of understated quality.

Aaaand, I'm sporting a Rolex T-bird which I sadly admit makes me feel better about myself when I step out of the car. Man, I'm sharp. And a little liquored up now. I'm sure my wife is going to jump me as soon as I finish this post. Wish me luck...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    (laughing)

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Clearly she doesn't know much about peddling bikes because there is no way you could with your crocks on!
    :)

I love getting out of my Ferrari wearing an athletic shirt, shorts...and a Patel Philippe Nautilus Annual Calender in SS (5726/1a)....

7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Patel Philippe ? Rob , you should have bought a Patek Philippe. Close but , no cigar. :)

8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    He's from India.

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Lol!
    Damned autocorrect...

10. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
  11. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    There was a sure in central MA called Spags. It was an amazing place owned by a guy who looked like he didn't have two nickels to rub together. Wore khakis top and bottoms and a big cowboy hat every day of the week, even on Sunday to church. Larger than life. He lived simply but gave big! There are more story's about Spag helping and giving than I can count. His only splurge were his two German Shepard and his Cadillac. I think he got a new one every year.
    Well, he went to the dealership that he had always purchased from and for one reason or another, he wasn't greeted and helped. Most say it was because he looked like he couldn't afford a car and he wasn't recognized. He ended up driving a few towns away to the next closest dealership to make his purchase.
    He had it delivered just outside of the enterence to the first dealership and took delivery there. I'm sure there is more to the story but that was the basis of it.
    I have a friend that owns a bunch of dealerships. He says the seasoned salespeople always go for the people who are dressed down. They are the ones that buy.......

zygomatic likes this.
  12. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    "I recall a Wall St. Journal front-page feature on Spag's. The story noted that the owner wanted to reward his managers with a bonus of giving each a new Cadillac. When he went to one dealer, asking to buy about 12 Cadillacs, he was basically laughed out of the dealership," Goslewski wrote on Facebook. "When he then bought the Cadillacs at another dealer, he then made it a point to parade those new Cadillacs in front of the dealer who refused to sell him the cars."

13. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I stopped caring about what anyone thinks when I was about 10. I figured out early on that people will judge you anyway. I dress comfortably and drive what makes me smile. Unless someone is paying my bills, I could care what they think.

ronfrohock likes this.
  14. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #39 JP365, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    +1 I still think the definitive response to this situation comes from John Steinbeck in Travels With Charley. Steinbeck was a notorious horder and DIYer. One time in the 1950s he was painting his house and hired an itinerant worker to help him. At some point he realized he needed more paint and gave the man $20 (IIRC) and told him to go get paint. The man began getting cleaned up and Steinbeck said why don't you just go? The worker responded something to the effect of, " You must really be rich if you can go out looking like that."
    I know, "should matter" and "do matter" are not the same, but IMHO, the only opinions that should matter are your spouse's, your kids, your true friends, and yourself. I call it the 2AM test. If it's 2am and you can't sleep, you've screwed up. If you're asleep, then you're right with the world.

15. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have always thought the opposite. In my area the wealthy people drive pickups and volvo's, MB and BMW's are people with payments in most cases. I have a vacation house in Mass in a gated community and everyone dresses like a bumb, drives pickups, volvo's and Prius. I have 3 Ferrari's and I'm in the bottom 10%. I know 2 guys that are worth more then 500m and they drive pickups.

Great saying in Texas "Big hat No cattle".

In the end of the day .... who cares.

16. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    While in college I worked part-time in a watch store that sold Rolex. A guy walks in one day soon after I started there wearing sneakers, denim cut-off shorts, a t-shirt and one of those caps made from patches of various colors of suede stitched together. Nobody would wait on him so I did. Sold my first Rolex. Guy actually wasn't wealthy - but he certainly wasn't a bum either - and he'd always wanted a Rolex watch.
    I think of this story every time I go to a store and get ignored because my haircut is wrong or I haven't shaved in 4 days.

JP365 likes this.
  17. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Funny stories here, but this has happened to me not once but twice. Most of our neighbors get their lawns done by someone else and having two daughters, and being cheap, mowing the lawn falls on me. First time was on a weekday afternoon, a neighbor, far as I can tell, lives up the street, casually stops his car by the driveway, gets out and calls me over, thought he was lost first, no greetings, just comes up says "how much do you charge?", was actually too stunned to say anything, I think he took my non-answer as no english and goes his way. Second time was on a Saturday, I actually had the garage door up so the Ferrari's were on full display, no biggie, my immediate neighbors are use to it, been there 10+ years, same thing, a car stops by the driveway, two women in a MB, both hop out looks at the cars which were on the lift, spends about minute peeking in and then finally walks over to me to ask if the owner was home and before I could answer, you guess it "how much do I charge?" I just shrug my shoulders, which I think they took as "I just work here" and left.

Nader likes this.
  18. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    One of my friends did that to his next door neighbor. lol

As for the second time, my great aunt lived in an expensive place in LA. She was a designer and her husband was quite wealthy and drove a nice Lincoln. She was very low key and drove a Pinto. Several times people came by the house and asked her if she was the owner. Her reply, "I'm just the housekeeper."

19. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I've done that with door-to-door salespeople when they catch me outside - "nah man I just work here".

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Reviving an old thread with a funny story about being overdressed for the situation. This is the second time this has happened to me. We've had a ton of rain up at the ranch the past few weeks. Our roads are in pretty tough shape. Driving a car on them is tough and I don't like bringing my big truck to the city so I left the ranch last week in a mud covered, and I mean covered, Jeep. We had tickets to the theater and I was late. So I threw on a suit at the ranch, drove back to the city, picked the Mrs. up, and went to the performance. On the way from the theater to our city home I was stopped for a light out which was actually just covered with mud. The cop walks up to the window, sees me in a suit, the Mrs. dressed to the nines, and bursts out laughing.
    "A Jeep that looks like it just came from a 4 wheeler mud run being driven by a guy in a suit. I figured I'd get some 16 year old kid. Mister what are you doing?"
    I explained our ranch, theater, etc. He couldn't stop laughing.
    "Fix the light will you? Get out of here and try not to mess up the suit when you're crawling out of this thing. Have a good evening sir."
    I'm sure I looked pretty comical. I think I made his night.

the_stig, tomc and poljav like this.
  21. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Should have flashed him with a wrist shot to finish the look :)

22. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    :D

23. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I take the Oscar Wilde approach:

"If I am occasionally a little under-dressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated"

(*and for those who like to search quotes, Oscar actually said "If I am occasionally a little over-dressed...")

24. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dave , you have no business posting anything in “Underdressed “ thread . I’m going to call the fashion police. :)

25. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <chuckle>