Unsettling discovery on transfer case housing | FerrariChat

Unsettling discovery on transfer case housing

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andrew Bolton, Mar 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton
    Okay, I have been noticing leaking oil of some type from underneath my QV. Always wet with oil, but not a lot on the concrete below. Recently, I read a post on this forum about adding oil to the transfer case which results in smoother shifting into second gear, etc. Well, I wasn't sure about why adding oil to the transfer case housing would improve second or third gears, but I was game, and so I jacked up the car and began to work on it.

Right away I noticed something unusual. There seemed to be a "glob" of gunk on one of the nuts of the transfer case housing. To be specific, if you use the center gear as an index, the offending area is located around the nut situated at the 7 o'clock position. As I checked it, I noticed that this "glob" was some kind of grey silicone! So, my first thought was "so this is where oil is leaking under my engine." My second thought, however, was much more frightening: "The previous owner/mechanic stripped out the thread on this bolt/nut and tried to cover it up by using some type of high temp silicone!" If so, I guess that I now have problems. Any suggestions if this is a stripped thread?

Again, thanks in advance.

Andrew
    p.s. adding oil did smooth my shifting (that's a small silver lining).

2. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    If this is not a "through" threaded hole, i would buy the appropriate helicoil repair kit and install it. If the hole is "through"' that is goes into the lubricated housing, i would pull the outer housing so i could clean out any tapping debris, install the helicoil, clean it up and reinstall it with a bit of locktight on the threads. Maybe use an o ring washer under the bolt head.

hth,
    chris

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If it is stripped, a helicoil is a perfect, and perfectly acceptable, fix. I have done it myself in the exact location. Still have the helicoil kit left.

4. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton

Okay, what is the "appropriate" helicoil kit? Do I have to know the size of the bolt? If so, then Yelcab can perhaps tell me what size it is since you've done it there before?
    Thanks again,

Andrew

5. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    When I was in my transfer cover I stripped out a stud. On closer inspection I found that two other holes were already Helicoiled. I think that perhaps I wasn't as heavy handed as I thought and someone previously was a bit stonger than he thought and maybe loosened it all up for me and/or stripping these is really easy to do. Anyway it was no big deal to helicoil it. I got my kit from McMaster.com, M8 x 1.25mm.

6. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton

Brian, thanks for the help. If your helicoil kit was used for repairing a 308 transfer case, can you please let me know the part number for your kit? I went onto the McMaster website and it was waaay too confusing to me, to say the least. Do I need just the inserts, or do I need the whole "kit?" Thanks in advance.

Andrew

7. tvine

tvine Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2006
    Cadillac, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom Vine
    I understand that it is standard practice in the aerospace industry to helicoil all threaded holes in light weight alloy parts from the start. The repair will be better than new. The contact area of the threads to the weakest material will be increased making the joint much stronger.

8. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    BEFORE YOU PUT A HELICOIL IN IT:

Is the thickness of the casting around the hole enough that a helicoil won't be significant?

There might be a Standard diameter and pitch that is similar to the metric one and only slightly larger in diameter, and you might be able to tap it to that while barely removing any metal at all. Or if the next metric size up is smaller than what you would have to tap it to to insert a helicoil, you might just want to go to that. Make a note in the service manual of that particular hole/bolt, and put the original bolt into a ziploc baggie and save it.

The point is to be as uninvasive as possible. You can always take more metal away.

If you do go with a helicoil, consider buying a TimeSert (I think that's what they're called). They expand at the bottom when you screw the bolt in, so they stay put permanently in the hole.

- T

9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Yes, you need the whole kit. It has the correct size drill bit, an insertion tool and a special tap in addition to the inserts. You will also need a tap wrench in most cases, but I believe that I had to carefully use a wrench because of clearance issues to surrounding parts. Don't get that tap in crooked!

I have heard good things about the Timeserts, and the fact that they don't back out is always given, but I've never had any issues with a Helicoil moving, nor heard of anyone with direct experience of one moving.

I went to McMaster.com and typed in Helicoil and clicked through the choices and came up with these two kits for 8mm x 1.25:

Insert Length
    12 mm 91732A952 $36.84 per Kit

8 mm, 16 mm 91732A951 39.83 per Kit

M8 1.25 mm 8 mm, 12 mm, 16 mm 10.35 mm 91732A951 39.83 per Kit

I don't remember how deep the holes are. I think I bought the last one just for the variety. I know I have three different lengths. My first Helicoil was scary to do (on my Guzzi's sump) but it goes real easy. You do have an accurate pre-drilled hole from the factory.

10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #10 Brian Harper, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey look, I even took pictures when I did it.
    A picture of the hole with stripped threads. Note that there are more threads down deeper. Perhaps you could just use a longer stud/bolt.

#1 A picture of the tap, but also includes the mask I constructed on the car with gaffers tape and paper to keep chips and swarf out of the tranny.

#2 Helicoil installed, the tang is still visible in the bottom. Note that there is plenty of meat for the larger hole and Helicoil, I have no concerns about that in this application.

#3 Cover cleaned and replaced.

I have had the cover off twice now, once because I dropped a nut down the timing hole in the bellhousing (#$%##@#!!!) and once to remove the fuel tank.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

Good job . . done a few here myself . .. one thing that makes me very nervous on a part like this is getting the tap straight . . . I take the time to make a tool to start the tap . . . nothing worse than putting a nice new helicoil in and finding you can't get the cover on 'cause the studs crooked . . .. not happened first hand on Ferrari but other hurried repairs have been victim :(.

Sean

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    For those that don't know, the easiest way to get a tap started straight is a "tapping block". To make one you just drill a hole in a piece of scap matel thats at least as thick as the tap OD, 2 time the OD is best. Drill it on a drill press so the hole is straight and square to the face. then just hold the block over the hole you want to tap and it will guide the tap in perfectly straight.

lm2504me likes this.
  13. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #13 350HPMondial, Mar 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    You don't just whack the stud with a hammer until they line up? The guy who showed me the secret about oiling my squeaky brakes taught me that trick as well.
    I've never used a tapping block, but next time I will. That is one of those things that is obvious once someone tells you about it! I've even made similar jigs for hand drilling holes, but never even thought about it for a tap. The flat surface available on the case is pretty narrow, it might not be very easy, but it seems like your chances of accuracy are greatly increased.

BTW the kit I bought was Helicoil part number 5403-8, and it looks like I used the 16mm length.

15. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I overkilled it and picked up the two adjacent studs to hold the tapping block in the right place . .. one of those things where you only get one chance to do it right and the right tool/block only takes a few minutes . ..

In case you get them crooked, there's an added benefit of straightening them with the hammer which is that the nut becomes self locking on the disorted thread unless you're dumb enough to protect it ;).

16. Andrew Bolton

Andrew Bolton Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Spring, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bolton
    Thanks to all guys, especially Brian Harper for the excellent photos. I hope to be ordering my kit soon to avoid having too much down time during the summer.

Andrew

17. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Mike,

Alignment block - very cool idea.

A nut on the stud before you whack it with a hammer - f*cking priceless.

I knew there was an overwhelming reason why i study this forum morning and night.

Don't hurt the car.

loving it,
    chris

Saabguy likes this.
  18. dillinghamp

dillinghamp Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Hi All
    To look into some very slight external lubrication issues, I’ve had my transfer cover off for the first time and when I came to replace it, two of the ten nuts wouldn’t torque. Clearly my PO either didn’t possess, or didn’t use, a torque wrench. Needless to say, he didn’t choose to strip any of the eight that would have been easy to helicoil. Does anyone have any experience of repairing the two hollow dowelled threads at 12:00 noon and six o’clock positions? I’ve tried gently warming up the bell housing up with a blow torch, but haven’t managed even to get the dowel sleeves out yet…. Also the O/D of the helicoil tap looks to be about the same as the dowel O/D and I’m concerned about losing the outer cover location features.
    Advice gratefully received!
    Thanks
    Paul

19. dillinghamp

dillinghamp Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    OK, answering my own question - I put an 8.2mm drill bit down into the dowel to support it and then used (purists please avert your eyes) grips to gently extract them. The PO’s copious use of Araldite around the various dowels and threads didn’t seem to be helping, but they are out now. Helicoils now inserted and a pair of new dowels on order.