Upgraded vs Non-upgraded audio <photos> | FerrariChat

Upgraded vs Non-upgraded audio <photos>

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Xeron, Sep 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    #1 Xeron, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    #2 Xeron, Sep 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    whatheheck likes this.
  3. cashout1

cashout1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2010
    that is a joke..... ferrari should be ashamed...

does it sound any better at all than the stock ?

4. cashout1

cashout1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2010
    that is a joke..... ferrari should be ashamed...

does it sound any better at all than the stock ?

5. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Not at all... even sounds worse. Which is why we are opening it up to look at it. However, it seems that it is functioning as expected ....

6. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    I only have the stock system, but for a car of that price, the sound quality truly sucks. It's probably not much better than a system in a Honda Civic... or is the Honda Civic's one better?

7. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Has anyone ever complained directly with Ferrari to hear their thoughts?

Is it this bad in all Ferrari including the 458?

8. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have written a letter to FNA. I will PM all here for a copy this weekend. It is just disgraceful. Ferrari or no Ferrari. You guys should try to take the time to hear the Burmeister upgrade (same cost as the Ferrari upgrade) in the Panamera. It will blow you mind how good it is. There is no reason that Ferrari couldn't do this as well.
    Black eye for Ferrari, as much as I love the brand.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Excellent work! Hopefully Ferrari will improve the Audio systems for all models. It is so simple because they outsource this. And as far as I know, they don't have any sponsership ties with the audio suppliers which might influence OEM selection choice.

Ferrari has just not been atuned to the audio systems in their cars. This is a wake-up call.

10. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    I agree... The only downside is that even if they do improve the system in the future cars, it does nothing for all of us that are stuck with the crappy systems we paid for unless they come up with some dealer installable upgrade.

11. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    #11 sg69, Sep 17, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
    So Xeron, Were you able to figure out where they put the Subwoofer?

12. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    no subwoofer

13. sg69

sg69 Karting

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    So what's the 9th speaker?

14. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Apparently it's up under the front dash. No photos of that yet.

So, we know it's the same head unit and the speakers look like a minor upgrade at best. Any audiophiles want to comment on the amp and the potential cost of the hardware in this upgrade? Further, since we now know exactly what this upgrade is, what' s the best way to really get an upgraded sound system in this car ? I intend to send a letter in to FNA as well. They better not hold me accountable for a warranty violation in changing this POS upgrade out to a far superior one that probably will cost 1/5 of the original.

15. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    So, the most obvious item I see with regard to the quoted upgrade and the actual hardware present, is there are no DVC (dual voice coil) woofers.

16. Xeron

Xeron Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    Vegas
    Check this out... Sure doesn't look like above photos.

August 16, 2010 07:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time
    JBL Professional® audio provides rich, powerful sound for Ferrari California and Ferrari 458 Italia models

KARLSBAD, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)--JBL Professional®, a unit of Harman, the leading audio and infotainment group, has fitted the Ferrari California and the Ferrari 458 Italia with the optimum combination of premium high-tech equipment and perfect sound performance. The new systems continue a long and successful cooperation between Harman and the Italian sports car manufacturer.

The superior nature of the JBL Professional® sound system is evident in the tailor-made solutions for the two sports cars from Ferrari’s Maranello plant. The 458 Italia, the mid-rear V8-engined berlinetta, contains 11 carefully positioned loudspeakers powered by a 640 Watt DSP amplifier. Because the architecture of the elegant Ferrari California roadster was completely different, the sound experts at JBL Professional chose to install nine sound transducers linked to a 400 Watt amplifier. To ensure a dynamic music experience that would reflect the character of each car, the acoustic experts also used a groundbreaking mix of up to four different loudspeaker types.

In order to produce a particularly focused sound platform for both models, JBL selected an Alumaprene® mid-range speaker for the center of the instrument panel. Two identical mid-range speakers are integrated in the front doors of the 458 Italia and in the rear side panels of the Ferrari California convertible. The Alumaprene diaphragms are extremely stiff and are also characterized by excellent damping characteristics, enabling them to deliver a finely balanced frequency response.

In addition, both Ferrari models contain two metal matrix tweeters in the mirror quarters, ensuring particularly brilliant treble tones. The sound in the Ferrari California is rounded off by two metal matrix tweeters in the rear side panels. The diaphragms in the specially developed sound transducers feature a three-layer sandwich structure with pure aluminum backing to minimize distortion across a wide range of frequencies for particularly authentic reproduction of voices and instruments.

The Ferrari 458 Italia also has a carbon fiber woofer in each door panel. The lightweight construction ensures maximum stability and optimum thermal and mechanical properties. The woofers have a Neodym magnet system that delivers virtually completely distortion-free bass performance in the 20 to 200 Hz range even in the complex interior of the car. The complex Kevlar structure achieves a high level of internal damping. The Ferrari California has a 165 metal matrix woofer in each of the doors, producing powerful bass notes and superior dynamics.

In addition, JBL Professional uses EDPL sound transducers (Electrodynamic Planar Loudspeakers) in the 458 Italia, enabling a unique level of control over the spatial sound. The four lightweight loudspeakers are positioned at head height in the two seats and measure only 200 x 800 mm and are only six millimeters deep. The elegant, low-profile design is made possible by a 25 micrometer high performance thermoplastic diaphragm which replaces the majority of complex components in modern speakers, such as the dust cap, spider, voice coil and moving coil cartridge.

Ferrari and JBL Professional: Close cooperation for maximum perfection and quality
    JBL Professional and the engineers from Ferrari are united by a commitment to technical perfection and top-class finish, allied with a highly-developed individuality. Since 2008, JBL Professional has created custom sound systems for four different models from the Maranello stable, including the Ferrari Scuderia Spider 16M. JBL Professional also equipped the exclusive one-of-a-kind Ferrari P540 Superfast Aperta with a bespoke high-end sound system.

Infotainment technology from Harman Automotive Division
    In addition to their landmark audio systems, the Ferrari California and 458 Italia feature a Harman hard-disk-based GPS navigation system with map and arrow display. The hard disk offers access times are much quicker than conventional alternatives with data on a DVD. Bird’s eye perspectives and an automatic intersection zoom feature are included, as are dynamic route and destination calculation and a large range of points of interest (POI). Verbal route guidance is available in a choice of five languages. The DVD player is designed to play video DVDs, audio DVDs and CDs in MP3 and WMA format and an integral USB port allows connection to external media. As an exclusive feature the Ferrari 458 Italia also has a DVD changer.

Benefits at a glance
    The JBL Professional® sound system in the Ferrari 458 Italia and Ferrari California

Optimized for the Ferrari 458 Italia and Ferrari California. Every single detail of the overall system is precisely tailored to the interior of the new Ferrari models.
    Authentic listening pleasure. As realistic, atmospheric, and rich in detail as a live performance.
    Power on the move. 640 Watt JBL Professional® DSP amplifier in the Ferrari 458 Italia and 400 Watt in the Ferrari California maximize the fun factor.
    Optimum performance. 11 high-end speakers in the Ferrari 458 Italia and nine high-end speakers in the Ferrari California guarantee precise, natural dynamism and excellent sound balance.
    Technical details at a glance
    The JBL Professional® sound system in the Ferrari 458 Italia and Ferrari California

Loudspeakers in the Ferrari 458 Italia
    11 specially developed high-performance speakers positioned around the car for optimum effect.

1 x 80 mm Alumaprene® mid-range speaker, center speaker in the middle of the instrument panel
    2 x 80 mm Alumaprene® mid-range speakers in the door panels
    2 x 200 mm carbon fiber woofers in the door panels
    2 x 25 mm metal matrix tweeters in the sides of the instrument panel
    4 x 80 x 200 mm EDPL mid-range tweeters behind the headrests
    640 Watt DSP amplifier under the instrument panel
    Amplifier
    JBL high-performance DSP amplifier with an output of 640 Watts

Loudspeakers in the Ferrari California
    Nine specially developed high-performance speakers positioned around the car for optimum effect.

3 x 80 mm Alumaprene mid-range speakers in the instrument panel and in the rear side panels
    2 x 165 mm metal matrix woofers in the door panels
    4 x 25 mm metal matrix tweeters in the sides of the instrument panel and in the rear seat panels
    400 Watt DSP amplifier behind the right luggage compartment lining.
    Amplifier
    JBL high-performance DSP amplifier with an output of 400 Watts

JBL Professional, the sound experts
    JBL Professional is the worldwide standard by which professional loudspeaker systems in cinemas, concerts, recording studios and high-profile large-scale events are measured. The company has over 60 years of experience in the development of high-end sound transducers and acoustic components. Well-known artists like Eric Clapton, Gwen Stefani, Bruce Springsteen and Taylor Swift trust in loudspeaker arrays from the JBL VerTec® line for their international tours. The spectrum of applications using JBL Professional systems ranges from discotheques and opera houses to stadiums and concert halls. As part of the Harman network of professional and consumer audio companies, JBL Professional is dedicated to the goal of meeting the highest quality standards for sound reproduction into the future.

General information
    JBL Professional is a trademark of HARMAN (www.harman.com) who designs, manufactures and markets a wide range of audio and infotainment solutions for the automotive, consumer and professional markets – supported by 15 leading brands including AKG®, Harman Kardon®, Infinity®, JBL®, Lexicon® and Mark Levinson®. The Company is admired by audiophiles across multiple generations and supports leading professional entertainers and the venues where they perform. More than 20 million automobiles on the road today are equipped with HARMAN audio and infotainment systems. HARMAN has a workforce of about 11,000 people across the Americas, Europe and Asia, and reported sales of $3.4 billion for fiscal year ended June 30, 2010. The Company’s shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol NYSE:HAR.

--------------------------

17. rainforest

rainforest Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Seems like there is a consensus on F-chat that the upgraded stereo is basically crap. Nobody seems to be able to tell the difference. I don't have this option myself, but even if I did, there's no way I could tell the difference because the engine noise is so damn loud compared to regular cars. Don't other people think that a Ferrari is not the proper environment to listen to high end audio? When the top is open, I can barely even hear my damn cell phone over the bluetooth system! I have to call people back each time.

18. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    Hi Ray,

Did you end up writing a letter to FNA? I would be very interested (I think most of us would be) to hear what they had to say for themselves!

Thanks

I am very glad I have been reading a lot in this forum about options on the Ferrari like the upgraded sound system as I was going to go for it when I ordered my car....

19. pckau

pckau Rookie

Jan 12, 2014
    Is it just that the head unit doesn't have an amp? How do I connect an amp to the head unit. Does anyone got warranty violation for upgrading the sucky sound system ?

20. jcarb123

jcarb123 Rookie

Sep 29, 2016
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    John Carbonaro
    no
    do you know what focal speakers for rear and and amp to put in the rear to replace the jbl amp?