Upgrading Alternator Information | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Upgrading Alternator Information

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by paulchua, Mar 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    sorry for the long time period since the last update. So since the last checkup - the light would intermittently flicker (2-3% of the drive) ... not a big deal. I've been driving it like that for about 4 months - no problems or issues at all.

Yesterday when out of a drive, the light stayed on, didn't notice anything but gonna have it checked out now

I will update everybody on results .. what I find.

2. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    Great thread! Replaced the alt belt yesterday with ine a bit short and bassically had to dismount the alternator to get it on. Easier then a return trip to the parts store!

3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    alternator officially dead! Alternator light stays on, barely made it back to my house! I am planning on taking it to an alternator shop down in San Jose that's been in business for 50 years...I'll report here what I find!

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    So took the alternator to this shop, they replaced some regulators and transposers and doo-hickeys and what-cha-callits..

Plopped the alternator back in, and the car is stronger than ever.

So in review. If you need an alternator, you can get one for about $150 here
    https://alternatorparts.com/

You should however visit a reputable alternator shop and upgrade it with better 'guts' so to speak. The ones from alternatorparts.com lasted about a year and a half. I'll be happy to give the info that the shop in SF used, but it won't be of any help since I just got the car back and the stuff they put in may not be very good as well.

So there you have it!

Cheers

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    So drove for about another couple hundred miles - the current alternator seems to do the trick, no flickers.

Here is the shop I used:

Starters & Generators for Sale - Alternator Repair in San Francisco CA | Rite-Way Electric

I'm sure they will be happy to tell you what parts they used to upgrade the guts.

Cheers

jvr5282 likes this.