Upgrading the 3 speed automatic transmission | FerrariChat

Upgrading the 3 speed automatic transmission

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by raf456, Dec 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    Has anyone replaced their 3 speed automatic transmission with a 4 or 5 speed automatic? If so what was the new trans and what was involved in the upgrade? I saw a listing for one car that claimed to have been upgraded to a GM 4 speed automatic. I used to own a 412A but did not like the transmission and would consider buying one again if I could replace the transmission with something more modern with more gears.

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The easiest swap would be with a 700R4. It is a 4 speed O/D with a possibility of lock up torque. Many C3 Corvette have been done. I have plans to do it on both of mine, vette and 400i. The first gear has a better ratio for off the hole performance and you can also use a higher stall torque to better match the engine hp and torque rpm.

Look here http://www.proformancepowertrain.com/index.htm

3. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Great resource

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I don't the think a transmission swap has ever been done in one of these cars. There is a torque tube connecting the rear of the transmission to the front of the engine. If you look at the engine mounts there are just two, same with the rear diff. The torque tube keeps the engine and diff from rocking back and forth. Since there is a torque tube attached to the transmission there is a special tail shaft on the transmission. I'm not saying the swap hasn't been done or can't be done. It's just much more complicated then bolting in a new transmission and having a shop make a new drive shaft (our drive shaft is a metal rod with no universal joints on the end). A transmission swap would be a great mod but it's going to be a challenge.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I was involved in a plan on doing a swap to a 700R4. Very doable including fabricating the provision for the torque tube. To take advantage of the swap and get any real life performance improvement meant changing the differential gearing. A 5 speed ring and pinion was prohibitively expensive at the time and there was very few and no inexpensive alternatives to that problem back then. That expense is what killed the project.

6. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I looked into it as well... Ended up redoing mine because there hasn't been a definitive swap that others can follow in with theirs. I recall the issue with the mounts, the diff, as well as the new drive shaft - quite a bit of engineering with some guesstimation, luck, time, etc!

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #7 godabitibi, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    Some calculation for fun. To compare. Using stock 240/55R415 TRX like my car.

The TRX if I'm right should have around 755 rev per miles.

Final drive is 3.4167, so the engine is reving 2580 per miles. At 60 mph it's 2580 RPM.

The 700R4 has a 4th(OD) gear ratio of 0.70 so the RPM at 60 mph should be around 1800 RPM. Which is low but common with most cars today.

You can always stay on 3rd if you want more RPM as it is 1:1 like the TH400 on 3rd.
    You also have the possibility of locking up the torque and save some RPM on 3rd.
    But in the swap if you replace the torque with a higher stall and don't use the lock-up you will have a higher RPM than 1800. Which will help.

Another big improvement is the 3.06 1st gear ratio of the 700R4 that will put the engine in a much better RPM range for him, if you add this to a high stall torque you just woke up the car a lot I think.

Brian what do you think?

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The 4th gear ratio is exactly why we wanted a different ring and pinion. At 1800 rpm it will need to down shift just to go over an overpass and as a practical matter you will never need the cruising speed that will give you and it just does not have the HP to drive that big a gear. With a higher stall speed and shorter rear gears it would wake the car up and that really is the object of the entire exercise.

As far as the torque tube, that's easy. I do not recall the AOL of the 2 transmissions but lengthening or shortening a torque tube is easy. The TH400 tail shaft housing can be cut and grafted on the 700R4. Any difference in drive shaft length can be handled by fabricating a different length of sleeve coupling and or shortening the shaft.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    What would the cost be of a set of gears made from scratch?

10. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    From what I know from the Testarossa, Newman can get new set made around $5000 cdn if I'm right.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Gears have actually become less costly to make. Back when we were working on this it was much more expensive. Seems to me it was around 12 or 13k and that was a lot of money in the early 90's.

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Over the years there has been lots of talk but I've never been able to confirm an actual swap taking place.

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I have never seen it done but historically because of the value of the cars people couldn't bring themselves to do an expensive experiment. The cars are getting to be worth more and oddly enough the price of the experiment has become easier to stomach.

They were a great car with a terrible mismatch of transmission. I'd like to see someone do it.

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I can't remember where but I saw a car for sale that had it done. I'll try to find the ad on the web.

15. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Didn't the silver twin turbo 400i have a 4-speed ?

16. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Car was in Costa Mesa. That is near Rod Drew and FAI. I'd ask if he knew the car. He might have been involved.

18. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Great, thanks Brian.

19. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I remember coming across an advert on a 400i (I believe) that was hooked up to a Tremec 6-speed in the past year but didn't save any of the info. :(

20. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  21. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Listing is somewhat confusing…the listing header states 400 GT Gearbox (which is the gears Brian was talking about using with an upgraded automatic) whereas in the description, it states 400 GTi / 400i Auto :eek:
    When someone mentions 'gearbox', I generally think Manual (10/43 gears), not Automatic/slush box (12/41 gears).

The question is...which one is it :confused:

22. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I counted the crown and came very close to 40 not 43 for sure. Also you see about half the pinion and my guess is 6 you can count so............

23. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    ...it's from an Automatic car unfortunately :(

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #24 Newman, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Dont know if this helps but there are 3 ratios available

DIFFERENTIAL AND AXEL SHAFTS - Ricambi America, Inc.

And for what its worth after going through the process of having gears made I learned that you want a minimum of 12 pinion teeth to get reliability - the gear shop educated me. Has to do with the amount of contact area with the crown gear teeth preventing them from breaking off which seems to be more of a problem in the 365 boxer until they numerically lowered the ratio finally ending up with the 3.21:1 in the BB512.

25. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Has anyone attempted this again?

Do you have any drawings for the fabrication work needed to swap the 700R4?

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk