US cars have extra 70kg (154lb) vs. Euro cars?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

US cars have extra 70kg (154lb) vs. Euro cars??

Discussion in '360/430' started by Brian C. Stradale, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Thanks for weighing that and taking pictures. Is there steel reinforcement that might be removed or replaced?

Have you weighed your new CS yet?

2. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    last time around the pictures did show a tiny bit of some funny looking bulky ribs in the middle of the bumper - my suspicion is that this has been added for crash protection, i.e. to meet the US 5mph regulation (or whatever the limit is) - I unfortunately have little time to go there and inspect the bumper - however they promised to take tons of pictures

I'll try to put the car on the corner balancing scales on Friday - stay tuned

3. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    as promised the pictures

4. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Thomas,

Thanks for that.

I wonder how the weight compares to the carbon one that was mentioned on another thread or what the Euro bumper weighs.
    If I ever have to take my one off i'll let you know.

Do you have any pis of the radar detector you fitted?

Wazza

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    keep in mind that for a euro car to be converted to dot and epa standards, several items and reinforcements have to be added on and so this increases the weight of us certified euros..also , you have to take companys weight with a grain fo salt,..actual weights may vary

6. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
  7. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Emissions is obviously a prime candidate for US vs ROW weight differences... and the "core engine" part likely includes a variety of such. One thing I found in my manuals is a presumably complete list of every part that is involved in emissions... and thus is likely to be different US vs ROW.

So, do any of the below look heavy? And likely to be different US vs ROW?

1. FUEL METERING SYSTEM
      • Fuel Injection System
        • Air mass meters
        • Pressure regulators
        • Fuel injectors
        • Temperature sensor (NTC)
        • Engine Control Module (ECM)
        • Heated oxygen sensors
        • Engine coolant thermoswitch
        • Throttle potentiometers
        • Fuel pump group, fuel pump relays and fuel delivery return lines
        • Electromagnetic pick-ups
        • Phase sensor
        • Pedal accelerator sensor
      • Cold start enrichment system
    2. AIR INDUCTION SYSTEM
      • Intake manifold
      • Motorized throttle valve housings
    3. IGNITION SYSTEM
      • Ignition coil
      • Spark plugs
      • Ignition wires
      • Engine speed sensor
      • Phase sensor
    4. EVAPORATIVE CONTROL SYSTEM
      • Charcoal canister
      • Liquid-vapor separator
      • Fuel tank and filler cap
      • Roll over valve
      • Purge valve
      • Vacuum reservoir
      • On-off air valve
      • Electrovalve
    5. CATALYST SYSTEM
      • Catalytic converters
      • Constricted fuel filler neck
      • Exhaust manifolds
    6. ENGINE ASSEMBLY
      • Engine block
      • Cylinder head, pistons, camshafts
      • Intake / exhaust valves
      • Valve guides, springs, and seats
      • Belt tensioners
      • Timing belts
    7. MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS
      • Hoses, clamps, fitting, tubing, sealing gaskets, and mounting hardware
      • Vacuum, temperature, and time sensitive valve and switches
      • Electronic controls

8. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    From another thread... ThomasB reported his Stradale (no extras) to weigh in at 3101#! Bit disappointing. And...
    Its apparent that the US exhaust is quieter... and heavier too? Well, that's a quick fix... order a Euro exhaust and slap it on there. I suspect the US cats are quieter and heavier as well... might as well replace both while I am in there. Weight savings on the exhaust might be 10#? 15# max?

The front and rear bumpers would be easy swaps as well... I wonder how much the weight savings is there... will it justify the cost? Alternatively, I wonder if the material is removable. Based on Thomas' measurements, the heavier front bumper weighs 33#... so surely we're talking about no more than about 15# on front and 10# on rear... 25# max total?

I wouldn't mess with the A-pillar. How much aluminum could fit in there? 10#?

So how much of the 154# is exhaust and bumpers I wonder? 45# or so? That still leaves nearly 110# unaccounted for!!

9. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    It's all the pillars - the A pillar is dimensionally thicker on the US car than on the Euro one. It may also not be aluminium that's used, a question I didn't ask - sorry. I guess there may be other parts that add up somewhat too, these are the major ones.

10. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Exhaust system means the air injection systems and the pre-cats – have you studied the air injection system? – it consist of the pump, full metal piping between the banks, valves etc. – all with heat shielding etc.

11. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I was searching 360 weights and came across this very interesting thread. I stopped and weighed my 2000 360 euro car last week on the way home from Brians shop. It weighed 3035 with just over 1/2 tank of gas and a few things in the car(maybe 20lbs). This car also has a factory roll bar, not sure how much that weighs but must be at least 40 or 50lbs. It also has aftermarket exhaust and cf racing seats. I was quite pleased with the weight and according to Brians posts, it is about the same or maybe a bit less than US stradales. Which would explain why it seems so fast. Way faster than I expected.

12. Racerboy

Racerboy Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Bay Area
    Brian C.S.- What ever became of this thread? Did you find any of the answers that you were looking for? The where-abouts of the 154lbs? Let us know!

13. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Not really. Its clear that the different exhaust manifold with integrated pre-cats is a big differentiator in sound and probably a differentiator in weight.

But for the most part, what we know (so far) is in this thread. (Much speculation.)