Used to be here. | FerrariChat

Used to be here.

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Apr 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #1 sowest, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hawaii has had its share of interesting cars over the years. I was corresponding with a gentleman on the mainland about our mutual interest in a couple of specific collector cars and cars in general. He was stationed here at Barber's Point during WWII and he sent me the pictures and story of this Maserati. I apologise about the quality of the pictures. They were simply laid out on a copy machine and the copy was sent, folded in an envelope. I looks like the originals were not very good quality either.

Quoted from his letter:

"The race car I found while on liberty one day in back of a service station on Kapiolani Blvd. It was brought over before the war by Bob Toppings, a millionaire who was married, at one time, to Lana Turner and who owned the New York Yankees. It had run at Indy in 1937, driven by Babe Stapp, but blew up. My buddy and I bought it and took it to Barber's Point and hid it."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Tachyon

Tachyon Karting

Nov 7, 2004
    LV, NV
    sowest,

I know you originally posted this about a year ago but I want to thank you for sharing it. It's fascinating!

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi John

Thanks for your message. I am glad that you found this old post about the Maserati. I still think about how exciting it would be to find such an exotic machine stashed away in an unexpected location.

I also posted pictures of the car in the Maserati section where it generated more interest and response than it did here in the Hawaii section. If you would like some more information on the car, look in the Maserati sub-forum. I think that the thread title is "Maserati in Hawaii".

Aloha