Vacuum hose and check valve source? | FerrariChat

Vacuum hose and check valve source?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by raemin, Mar 21, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    My pedal lacks some assistance, at least it's harder than other 365/400 I've tested. Just wondering whether the 40years old vacuum hose should be replaced.

Any reference/substiture for this hose? Same question for the big checkvalve.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I'd say that either could be a problem (sticking closed check valve or leaky hose). Have you tried just disconnecting the vacuum hose at the brake booster to just see if any vacuum at all is reaching the booster when the engine is running? If none (and it's accessible), you can disconnect on the upstream side of the check valve to check there, too (and, with the check valve in hand, to some "blow-thru" tests to see if that's working properly).

Is this an automatic or a 5-speed? -- the auto seems to have a much more complicated vacuum system that could have other problems.

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    It's an auto that has the disc shaped vacuum booster for the transmission. To crown it all I have a vacuum controled ECU for the torque converter. So yes quite a bit of plumbing.

This being said, pedal was hard even before the ECU was added to the mix.

Hose is quite hard, so it would be a good idea to replace it. It's 40 years old after all...

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    On an automatic you also have a supplementary vacuum pump on the right cylinder head.
    CIS equipped cars make little manifold vacuum and the 400/412 was always an issue with the power brake vacuum supply. The automatic cars tend to shift to the highest gear at pretty low speeds so in many instances there is very little RPM and very little manifold vacuum. The pump was supposed to fix that.

The hoses are old enough and as I recall are all fabric covered Id probably just replace them all, test the vacuum check valves and test the vacuum pump operation. Its been a long time since I have worked on one some of it is hard to remember but I recall it also had an electric pressure switch mounted near the booster. Many were disconnected because people got tired of the warning light indicating low system vacuum. Also the boosters do go bad and that is the symptom.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It's meant to be much "harder" than the usual hose (so it doesn't collapse under the vacuum). I'd still suggest that measuring the vacuum in a few places before deciding what to do, and Brian's suggestion to maybe test the brake booster to see if can even hold a vacuum, would be the first diagnostic steps -- if it doesn't have an obvious hole rusted thru the metal outer case ;).

6. au400i

au400i Rookie

Oct 26, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Thomas Clement
    The injected manual cars have the vaccum pump on the front of the right head.

Replacing vacuum hoses never hurts but unless they are cracked or leaking it is unlikely to fix the problem. The advantage of new hoses is that they seal on the fittings better.

Apart from leaks or blockages on any of the vaccum hoses I’d be checking the one way valve, they can often benefit from a clean or replacement. (Should only be able to blow through it the one way).

The final check is the pump, they are lubricated with engine oil and they can get a little leaky and even block the vacuum hose with oil in extreme cases. They have little composite blades in the pump which wear on one shoulder, these can be taken out and installed in the opposite orientation so they wear/seal on a new shoulder. This can increase the performance of the pump if they have worn unevenly.

raemin likes this.
  7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Thanks guys, all my relatives do have manual transmissions, so no easy basis for comparison...

Thanks for THIS hint. Mine are not covered, so I just had a look at Maranello Classic and indeed my hoses do look very different, more like polyamid tubing. Needless to say sealing the fitting was a pain when we rebuilt the engine. Will just replace these non-stock items for peace of mind.

Will also have a look at the oil hose for the vacuum pump. I suspect that oil plays a big part in the vacuum of the pump (?), also the residual oil is directly dropped on the top of the timing chest, which is probably good for the chain. Given how small is the hose, it can easily be clogged. Unfortunately that's another of those odd hoses with Argus fittings. Will probably have to order a full 18m roll!

That's brilliant ...

Once all the above are done, I'll contemplate the more painful fixes...

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Pretty sure all of these cars have the vacuum pump.

9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Looking at the part diagram, even the 365 GT4 2+2 has the vacuum pump, so my guess is that they all have it. The auto do have an additional vacuum amplifier that makes the system more complex, and add a few potentially leaky pipe to the mix.

I just miss the authority of the other cars I've been playing with. I did not realize that I was comparing apples to oranges as manual + carbs means much more vacuum. So I will lower my expectations and will try to make the system as good as it can be in its stock form.

10. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    #10 SouthJersey400i, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
    I struggled to find a replacement check valve. I removed the old one and it was sticking shut. I used some WD40 and got it working freely. I later found the part and will post supplier when I dig it out.
    Ken
    p.s. Tom Vail has one at an outrageous price. I think the Fiat/Alfa folks have it for less.
    https://www.allferrariparts.com/pn128435id135279.html
    Visually different but I think the fittings are correct size (?)
    https://www.awitalian.com/product/brake-booster-check-valve-128435a.html/
    Correct part at a better price:
    https://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/products/brake-pipe-servo-non-return-valve-p006

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you really need a Ferrari branded part.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/360-group/challenge-stradale/brake-booster-system/193186-non-return-valve.html

Its pretty generic. Can probably find one in most parts stores.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The system will operate every bit as well as any other Ferrari power brake system if it is working correctly. I explained some of the challenges to make it work well. They are not excuses why it cannot work well.

I have driven a lot of those, and driven them a lot. They work great. You just have to fix it.

13. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Yes it would be easy for this hose to get blocked as it has a very small orifice in the connector at the oil filter housing end (be sure to refit this or you will have too much oil supply to the vacuum pump). The advantage of the orifice at this end is it means the hose is not under pressure and low pressure hose can be used to replace it as the fittings are rebuild-able.

I replaced my vacuum hoses a few years ago and struggled to find replacement hose that large until I found a place that did truck vacuum brake hose which was the same size.

Cheers,
    Al

raemin likes this.
  14. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Years ago my 1980 400i was lacking vacuum from the vacuum amplifier to the t400 tranny..turned out that the hose was routed near the exhaust and had melted the hose..I replaced the long hose with metal tubing with a section of vacuum tubing with a section of rubber hose to the fitting on each ea
    on each end...perfect. Jacques.

Ak Jim likes this.
  15. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #15 raemin, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    That's brilliant: I just made the swap and assistance has now quite a bit more autority! Once the shoulders have time to set I guess it will be even better.

While I was there I also cleaned the restrictor which is indeed quite narrow. A bit more oil does not hurt:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Any idea what the actual hose size is? I mean the small one between oil filter and pump.

I've measured mine : 8mm OD, 4mm ID, unfortunately it is so dry that these measures are probably not reflective of what the hose was when it left the factory.

Also Cohline only provides 3.5mm or 4.5mm hoses. Any hint on which to use?

17. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
  18. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    My fittings do look different and are "rebuildable", similar design to the Argus fittings that are used for the big hoses.

Normally this a no brainer rebuild as long as you do have the proper wall thickness. But if you don't use the proper hose these fittings will make your next trip miserable...

19. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    The shop reused the same fittings I had.

Could you explain how you switched out the vacuum pump part that wears out?

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

20. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The turbine blades are just slided in the hub, they are even free floating in an outside of the hub. That's a clever design.

Once you open the pump cover, you do not need any tool to flip them

21. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Thank you. Note also there is another check valve, one up by the vacuum booster.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

22. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Is this similar to the little air pump for the horns?

23. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I never disasembled the horn pump.

Air pump looks like a bigger version of the windscreen washer pump: much bigger and composite blade instead of rubber blades. Simple design with extreemly close tolerance. Really like it.

Ak Jim likes this.