Vail to Snowmass - best way? | FerrariChat

Vail to Snowmass - best way?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Ferraridoc, Dec 3, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'm coming over in Jan for a touch of skiing at Snowmass. Due to the vagaries of bookings, my internal flight arrives at Vail, and I need to get a family of 5 to Snowmass.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    During the Winter, the southern route via Leadville and over Independence Pass is closed. So, really, there's only one way, which is to go West on I-70 to Glenwood Springs and then catch 82 South. It's ~1.5hrs, assuming dry road and good weather conditions.

There are plenty of transport options at EGE: chauffeured SUVs, shared vans and rental SUVs and cars. As you'll be in high season, SUV and car rentals won't be inexpensive, if you go that route. We have all the big rental carriers, but I tend to go to airportrentalcars.com for price comparing and then book directly. Parking in Snowmass, depending on where you're staying, may be pricey, too. It's nice to have a vehicle, though, as Snowmass is a bit away from the town of Aspen (shopping & restaurants), but if you're staying at a hotel, they probably have a shuttle service. You can also try uber (but, during high season, there may be waits, so I would schedule them in advance...I understand there's a new uber service available for that). Finally, I think the local bus service may be suitable for you, if you're not going at off hours. But, perhaps call in advance to your lodging accommodation. If they have a concierge, they may be able to give better advice on all of this.

Shared van rental works fine, but you might not be able to find a shuttle that suits your schedule with seating for 5. Inquire, however. There are two mountain van services: CME and PeakOne. PeakOne is the cheaper of the two. I don't know if PeakOne goes to Aspen, but it's worth 5min on their site to check. CME DEFINITELY goes but is more expensive. Generally, both are fine, but CME is marginally better. More shuttles leaving (so if you miss yours, you can grab a later one). Newer vehicles. Etc. Both use Sprinter vans, but they also offer dedicated shuttles available for large groups. During the season, I'd expect each way would be about $100-120 (or more) per person. But, the website pricing will be current on their site. Keep in mind, though, that you'll need a round trip for each. So, based on that, you might hit a breakeven somewhere that makes more sense to get a rental or a chauffeured service.

There are several chauffeured SUV services that operate. CME also offers one right on their site, even. I can see if anyone has any particular feedback about better/worse ones for you, if you'd like, though.

Anyway, plentiful options, but one big caveat is weather and road conditions. Be prepared that I-70 is subject to weather shut downs and rock slides (more common in the Spring during thaw/freeze cycling). Just make sure you have a few snacks on hand, in case, as delays can be long, and, unfortunately, there are really no short detours, in the event of a serious closure. CDOT is pretty good at keeping the roads open (or re-opening), but several hour delays are not uncommon.

Hope this helps. If you want me to get you a few names of chauffeur services, LMK.

CW

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Thanks guys

4. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    CME is now known as Epic Mountain Express. Just about any business (from lift passes, to clubs, to hotels, etc) operating with an "Epic" name in this region is owned by Vail, and Epic Mountain Express was acquired by CME a few years ago.

5. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Correct. As an old-time local I still call it CME.

FYI, I just checked both their sites for kicks, and it now appears that neither Epic (CME) nor Peak1 have shared shuttle service to Aspen. So, probably rental SUV or chauffeured SUV will be your best bet. Sorry if I sent you on a goose chase.

CW

6. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Cheers. I booked a people mover. I get in on the 4th. Hopefully no blizzard!

7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    You're traveling with your family, from Australia to Aspen, to ski? God speed! The snow should be very nice. :)

Aspen's not easy to fly into. Mostly Gulfstreams lol.

Ferraridoc likes this.
  8. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    If not private, puddle jumpers from DEN. It's a dangerous place to fly into, though.

My ex-GF's pilots (all ex-military) simply refused outright to fly her family's plane into a boxed canyon. Plenty of pilots have gotten it wrong in the past. It's unforgiving when you don't get it right.

CW

rob lay likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, Eagle or Leadville is easy. My local instructor and I picked up a mountain flying instructor in New Mexico for a few days of training. Flying a 182 it was my instructors turn to fly going into Aspen. Only time I've ever done a "S" final going straight into the canyon walls then making a 180 over and over until making the runway. Another unforgiving airport I've personally flown into several times is Angel Fire, NM especially taking off to South.

10. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I hear it's bucketing down. Hopefully clear by the time we get there. I've got it all figured out - drive West a bit out of Vail, then South a bit. And keep on the wrong side of the road!

11. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Hi guys,
    Snowmass is great. Had a sunny day after an overnight dump the day after I got here - sensational! Snow a bit wet today and a couple of lifts closed due to high winds, so off to Aspen today to have a look around and get ripped off buying a hat. (Don't get me started on the prices here - $1,080 for a ski lesson? Sheesh!)

Sent from my SM-F711B using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GatorFL likes this.
  12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Glad you made it safely. True, it's not inexpensive to ski. but it's Aspen. So, take the normal prices and add 30-40%! That said, it's Aspen.

Hope you're having a great time. A good shop to check out for a hat would be Kemo Sabe: https://www.kemosabe.com

We have one in Vail, and it's always a fun place to stop by and peruse.

CW

Ferraridoc likes this.