Valentino Rossi going to Yamaha for 2004? | FerrariChat

Valentino Rossi going to Yamaha for 2004?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Allen S., Nov 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Anyone know what encouraged him to sign on to Yamaha?

2. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    He claims at the press conference that "He is ready for a new challenge".

Yamaha on the other hand said that the deal is not done they are in negotiations but cannot comment till the deal is done...

HMMMM Where will Rossi race next season?

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Rossi leaving Honda is a bit like Schumacher leaving Benetton in 1995 having won everything in site he needs a new challenge.

Also the UK motorcycle press are always commenting that Rossi was never happy with the way Honda wanted to use his image rights.

Personally if Rossi isn't signed to Yamaha and I was the head of racing at Ducati I would having a look at my rider salary budget right about now.

Oh and Luca has offered Rossi a Ferrari F1 test whenever he wants!

4. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    The commentators last night on speed were talking like it was a sure thing for Yamaha. :confused:

Valentino was a real joy to watch this year. He really dominated the field. Last night on "Speed Channel" that last lap was awsome! He can really show-boat and get that bike sideways. :D

5. Johns

Johns Guest

Nov 2, 2003
    nj/nyc
    Full Name:
    Johnny East
    I think he was made an offer he couldnt refuse by Yahama. he deserves it cus he destroys opponents whenever he wants. best race ever IMO when he was penalty'd 10sec off his time, found out, and still finished in first place!

6. ART360

ART360 Guest

Honda offered him no respect, said that the only reason he won the various championships was because of them. Rossi and his team decided to show them who did what. Watch for mass changes in who rides for who within the next 4 days. Bigger deal: Honda lost it's entire team, including all of the set up people in this deal. Not good for Honda.

Big losers: Suzuki, etc. Winners: Ducati, Yamaha.

I'll keep you posted on this.

Art

7. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Art, interesting about Honda. I hope Hayden ends up with a good ride for 2004.

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

I can't say much now, but after next week, I can fill you guys in on exactly what is happening in MotoGP. There may be a suit filed in SF very soon, against some of the manufacturers in which some of the riders are asking to get out of their contracts.

Art

9. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    i really wanted to see him race for duc along with capriossi, but since he's going to yamaha...

i guess it isn't so bad since i've been a fan of their sport bikes ever since i've ridden an R6. but i'd much prefer him on an italian bike.

10. ART360

ART360 Guest

I hear that he's signed with Yamaha, but can't discuss it until 1/1/04, because still under contract with Honda. Remember that the entire team left with him. That team was Doohans, Lawsons, etc. It is the most winning team in the history of racing (at least at that level). While Rossi's leaving may be a big deal, the lost of the team is even bigger, in my mind.

Honda has a corporate attitude that their are all that counts. We'll see after Rossi has ridden a couple of times for Yamaha.

The balance of shuffling has yet to occur, but MotoGP is going through some massive changes right now. More next month.

Art

11. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    Looks like the worst kept secret has finally been announced!

from www.motograndprix.com

Best
    Mark

"Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. have today announced the completion of a two year contract with MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi. Despite comments from Rossi at the press conference to announce his departure from Honda last week that he could not confirm his destination until after the 31st December, Lin Jarvis, Managing Director of Yamaha Motor Racing, has officially confirmed that the Italian will be incorporated into the factory squad from the 1st January and will make his debut on the YZR-M1 at the first round of the new season on the 18th April.

"We are all extremely happy that Valentino will be joining Yamaha in 2004," commented Mr Jarvis. "In our discussions with him it is clear that he relishes the challenge of achieving our goal in MotoGP as much as we do. He is an incredible talent and will make a huge difference. Obviously there is a lot of hard work ahead of us, but we are confident that we can give Valentino the means to achieve more World Championships and we look forward to the challenge ahead. This is a very important step in our plan to re-establish Yamaha as a leading force in Grand Prix racing.

Rossi will be joining Spaniard Carlos Checa in the Yamaha factory team based near Monza in Italy and run by team director Davide Brivio. Checa's current team-mate, Marco Melandri, will move to the Tech 3 Yamaha team (currently the Gauloises Yamaha Team), managed by team principal Hervé Poncharal. Both teams will continue under the Yamaha-Altadis umbrella sponsorship agreement with the Gauloises and Fortuna brands, although final colours and co-sponsors for the 2004 season have yet to be announced."

12. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Mark, thanks for the up-date. Wow, it will be an enteresting 2004 season. Love that Moto-GP!

Allen

13. ART360

ART360 Guest

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

Look here next week. Some of the riders are going to be suing their teams to get loose.

Art

15. kiyoharu

kiyoharu Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2003
    On a hunch, I'd say Garry McCoy and John Hopkins would be two of the people who are looking to get out from their contracts.

16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    If i recall somwhere i read that McCoy has already been told by kawasaki that his services for next year are not needed.

17. kiyoharu

kiyoharu Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2003
    I thought it was the other way around?

Anyway, I think several pit crew members (probably aprilia and Rossi's crew at Honda) might also bolt to join rival teams. Supposedly Jeremy Burgess is joining Rossi over at Yamaha.

18. ART360

ART360 Guest

Rossi's crew is going to Yamaha en mass.

Art

19. kiyoharu

kiyoharu Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2003
    Another rider who is probably trying to break his contract is Alex Barros. Honda is looking to get him back to replace Rossi, but Yamaha's main sponsor still has one year left on his contract.

20. ART360

ART360 Guest

My understanding is that Honda isn't looking to add anyone else. What Rossi gives Yamaha is a guage against which to compare the current bike against, in addition to his riding ability. Honda has refused to allow him to test with Yamaha until his contract expires on 12/31. With the pit crew leaving Honda, and I think, destroying their notes, etc regarding set up, etc. Honda may be in a bit of a bind this year.

Art

21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Friday Kawasaki released Eric Bostrom from his contract since they will not be racing superbike next year. Could it be that perhaps we will see another american in Moto GP next year???

22. ART360

ART360 Guest

You won't be seeing him there. There are several other people in line well before him. You might see an American rider coming back from MotoGP to American Superbike though.

Art

23. j. cordon

j. cordon Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    j. cordon
    Rossi signed for a reported 14mil/year with Yamaha, if anyone can make that bike scream it will be him. Nicky Hayden got Alex Barros as teammate on the Repsol Honda team and Colin Edwards is on the Telafonica Honda team with Sete Gibernau. Next year should be great in Moto GP as well as here in the states, Eric Bostrom is looking like the man for the Ducati ride in the states that Ducati Corse is gonna back, they need to win to sell bikes in the states.

24. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Good up-dates. Thanks.
    These Moto-GP races come in nice on my 65" wide screen. Just like being there and it really gets my blood pumping. Takes me back to the days in the saddle!

25. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Who is Curtis going to ride for?

Vincent