Variators Failure Diagnostic | FerrariChat

Variators Failure Diagnostic

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Mhoram, Jun 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    I think the variators on my 2010 California are starting to fail, but wanted to see if anyone knew the diagnostic procedures to verify before I drop the engine and replace them. I have about 62K miles on the car and have been getting the following DTC code intermittently where they will turn on the CEL and then it will go off on its own randomly.

P0021 Intake variable value timing control bank 2 (ENWS 2)
    P1549 High pressure error - bank 2 (STHDR)
    P0014 Exhaust variable value timing control - bank 1

The idle has also been a bit erratic, sometimes the car will have an idle around 600rpms but there will be vibrations and then it will rise the idle to around 900rpms and the vibration will go away.

I have tried replacing the variator solenoids and doing an oil change, but it doesn't seem to have any impact

2. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #2 695, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    Hard core! Wouldn't it be possible to do it engine in, as they sit on the front of the engine?

My wife had a Engine Control System Failure and engine light came on on Sunday. The only symptom was that the idle is now just under 1000rpms even when the car is warm. Had the dealer do a check today and they said that it was a timing fault, I did not get the fault code, and that they had initiated a self learning program. They cleared the engine light, but it still idles at just under 1000rpms. It sounds like it could be the same issue as you.

It's going in late this month to have a few things sorted and they'll check up on this issue as well.

What program are you using to read the fault codes?

3. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    It does sound similar. It would be interesting to see what codes they pulled.

I am able to clear the fault code but it will come back, but there is no pattern to when it comes back. It will also clear itself without a pattern but later come back again. Which leads me to believe that maybe the variators maybe starting to fail and get stuck/slower to respond. They seem like a very basic design a screw interface that moves due to oil pressure applied via the solenoids. But a little bit of varnish or oil contamination could get the screw interface to react slower then the car expects. Besides the slightly higher idle there doesn't seem to be any impact to the performance.

Unfortunately there is a cross member that is welded in between the engine and battery that prevents a lot of access. On the Maserati's this brace unbolts and allows a lot more access. Luckily dropping the engine doesn't seem to big of chore since I have a lift and can properly remove it with the subframe from the bottom of the car.

I was able remove the valve covers and replace the solenoids with the engine in place. It was a tight fit getting the covers out and back in with out the gasket falling off.

I am using TEXA Supercar diagnostic tool to read the fault codes. I can also read and graph all sensor data, but with out base lines to compare it to I am not sure if the reading are normal or not. I have tried to get a 1 day subscription to the Ferrari technical data which should have diagnostic steps for DTCs but I haven't been able to get a log-in to register and no one response to their contact us.

4. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Do you have knocking or rattle on startup? That would also be an indication to failing variators.

We didn't have any performance issues as well. And no knocking or rattle on startup. But startup will sometime be a little slow or not very smooth. But I don't know if that is down to some of the other issues the car has.

Of course no one is responding to the 'contact us', that would be to easy :)

5. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    I haven't noticed any knocking or rattle on startup, but it can be hard to hear with how the engine roars on startup :)
    Mine has similar issues on start up sometimes.

How many miles are on your car?

6. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just shy of 42,000 miles

You'll know if it was knocking :) - I think you should look more into the timing

7. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    defiantly not knocking , just injector noise.

I don't think it is a static timing issue. Generally the engine wouldn't run well if the static timing was off, and I would expect both cams on a bank to show an issue since they are driven by the same chain, and likely a crank sensor DTC since the ECU would be getting conflicting data from the crank and the cam sensors. Also the problem couldn't be intermittent. The only way for the static timing to start going off is if the tension fails which would also cause chain slap that you could hear, or chain stretching which would be very unusually for this many miles which I think the engine would nee to come out to check anyways.

8. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I see what you mean. But what looks weird about the codes is that you have codes for both banks. Mine is first scheduled to go to the dealer in 14 days, so I will not have any news on mine until then.

9. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So ours are at the dealer at the moment. They want to take of the valve cover and replace a solenoid valve and at the same time check the timing. As the car is not going into limb mode but just have a Engine Control System Failure, they don't think it is the timing. Hopefully a replaced solenoid will fix it as the timing fix could take a few days according to the dealer.

10. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Hopefully it's just the solenoids on your car. I already replaced mine.

I wonder how they think the timing could possibly be barely off. What could cause that and not destroy the engine.

I have ordered new variators and currently planning on droping the engine sometime in July.

11. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thankfully I have the Power Warranty on it, so as long as they fix it, I'm happy :)

You should do a little youtube series on it, there is way to few DIY's documented on youtube or at least pictures in this thread!

12. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They replaced the solenoid valve(s) on the one bank and says everything looks okay now. So now we are just waiting for the other things are sorted so we can get it back

13. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So that lasted one week and the check engine light is back. They have now diagnosed that it is the variators and it's an engine out operation. They suggest doing the motor mounts and a carbon clean while the engine is out and taken apart.

14. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they can turn that around quickly.

I am in the process of taking the engine out of mine. Taking a bit longer than i would like with kids being home for summer and traveling.

My motor mounts look fine but I will be taking a look at carbon build up.

I am hoping to figure out what causes our variators to fail. I plan on trying to take them a part and also I have access to a CT scanner and will scan them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

15. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They say it is a two week job, so I can only imagine how long it will take as a DIY with kids and other obligations :)

Ours is not critical at the moment, so we can still drive the car. So it is more a question of finding a time that is least inconvenient.

Looking forward to hear what you find out about the cause of the issue

16. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Got the engine out today :)! Now I just need to find the time to tear it down replace the parts and get it back in. But getting the engine out was the 1st step.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Willl and 695 like this.
  17. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looking good and on a scissor lift in the back yard, that is hard core! If you have the time, you should do some video for YouTube, there is way to few California DIY videos.

My shop says that they will be changing the chains as well when they are in there. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of carbon build up you have. How many miles is on your car?

18. PPW

PPW Karting

Oct 4, 2019
    Any update? How did the removal and tear down go?

19. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Currently waiting for a new impact gun to show up to get the crank pulley off.

I also 3d printed a tool to help with intke valve carbon clean.

Also found out my driver side exhaust header was cracked and waiting for my neighbor to weld it for my.

20. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Good thing you discovered the cracked exhaust header.

A 3d printed tool? You're not cleaning with blasting walnuts?

21. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    I will be blasting with walnuts. Printed a tool similar to this one for VW's to make less of a mess. It fits perfectly into the intake port instead of a generic tool that leaves gaps. Image Unavailable, Please Login

695 likes this.
  22. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    vjd3 likes this.
  23. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You are going to have an engine that will feel like new

24. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Any news? Is the engine back in the car?

25. Mhoram

Mhoram Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes, the engine is back in the car. Drove it for about a week and then had a set back with some of the exhust nuts backing off and destroyed the passanger side gasket between the header and cat.

Just finished replacing that yesterday and it seems to be driving well again.

Once I get a chance I will post some tips on how to change them. Overall the workshop manual does a really good job walking through it.

695 likes this.