very steep driveway | FerrariChat

very steep driveway

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tbd06, Apr 16, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbd06

tbd06 Rookie

Feb 25, 2008
    London
    I've just bought a new apartment and have realised the driveway apron in into the undergroundparking is very very steep, almost 45 degrees. Even if I approach sideways on or reverse up and down it, i think i am going to scrape the car (575).

I didnt think of the issue when i viewed the flat because I didnt own the car (or had owned a car in the class ever) at the time, so it never occured to me. Ive been driving a 4x4 for the past few years.

Anyway, has anyone encountered a similar problem, or does anyone know of a resolution?

At the moment, i am thinking my only options are to change the approach to apron (cement job) or fit adjustable suspension.
    No idea of the cost at the moment, and no idea if i will get approval from the building managers to change the apron.
    I would've thot there's some sort of ramp you can get as a fix to this tho?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You have a 575 and you live in an apartment??? You must not be from Texas... Do you have a garage for your fine auto at this apartment? I hope so! Sucks about the driveway...that will probably be quite expensive to fix. Might be cheaper to get some kind of shocks that have a button actuated lift mechanism...

Good luck!
    James
    Austin, TX

3. tstafford

tstafford Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2006
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I think you will need to fix the driveway not alter the car. IMHO.

4. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    put in adjustable air shocks from an old Landrover, that ought to work :)

5. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I may be wrong, but I SWEAR I saw a post on this forum (might have been w/ the 612/599's though) for a set of shocks and I think springs w/ it too for something along the lines of $14k and it had the nose lift function...

YMMV...

James

6. AGP22

AGP22 Rookie

Oct 24, 2006
    #6 AGP22, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You don't mention what kind of transmission your 575 has, but if it has an F1 (paddle shifter) transmission, then backing up an incline is a big no no.
    You will destroy your clutch in a very short amount of time, as the computer slips the clutch when in reverse.

The best method to back up is to accelerate and then coast, when driving on the flat.

8. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    2 options:

1. Cautious: Approach the ramp at a 45 degree angle very slowly. This often works

2. Big Balls: Come flying up to the ramp, jam on the handbrake at precisely the right moment and laugh your a_s off

9. 456 koirra

456 koirra Karting

Aug 18, 2005
    Finland
    Jep, he is not telling where he is from. In Germany apartment means singleroom flat, so basically a studio. Many people speaking mother tongue other than English (or German) translate apartment to anything else but a single house.

To your problem:

I suggest the concrete job. or custom made ramps like above. Naturally depending if your problem is on the top or bottom of the slope but I would start to fiddle with the suspension.
    Especially if you are into fast cars and intend to swap them before you move out.

10. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    It is not an option to mess around with your suspension IMO

11. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    In all honesty I was joking about the Landrover shocks as I have few, but I have the same problem with my 575. I live in an old historic area that almost would take an act of congress to change the angle of my drive to the street. All my cars except the Ferrari can negotiate the dip. The above ramps work. I found a pair at a shop that specializes in trailers and hitches for trucks, so you may not have to go the custom made route. They make lightweight ramps for getting ATVs off the back of trucks. I found a lightweight aluminum pair with a weight limit of 5000lb per ramp. I think they were around $300US. Make sure you check the weight limit as you really do not want those suckers to collapse as you are backing out. It is kinda a pain if you drive the car daily, but a couple times a week is not too much hassle. Good luck

12. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Didn't the F50 and a few other F-cars have the button on the dash to raise the nose? If there is a company out there doing one for the 575 why not do that. It will help in this and ANY OTHER situation where he might find the nose striking the ground. Like I said the one I seem to recall seeing for the 599 was a first class (if not INSANELY EXPENSIVE) bit of kit... Probably better than stock... People change shocks/springs/tires w/o issue all the time, not that big a deal really and 550/575's are getting down right cheap these days.

YMMV!
    James

13. tbd06

tbd06 Rookie

Feb 25, 2008
    London
    thanks for all ur replies, very helpul
    and i live in central london....so a house is out of budget!

ramps look good except it's a communal garage so that might be an issue

will have to do some digging into the button to raise the nose, which i think exists in the 599. that would be ideal as long i dont have give up anything else in the car.

the transmission is paddle shift, so i am concerned about the clutch wear

14. Pcar928fan

Pcar928fan Formula 3

Jan 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yea, a house in central London would eat you alive! I can't even imagine how expensive that would be. I am surprised they will even let a Ferrari IN to central London.

Check the 599 board and see if you can find the into on the aftermarket shock that raises the front of the car. Maybe there would be some way to fit that to a 575 or maybe there is another product like that already out there for the 575.

Best of luck!
    James
    Austin, TX

15. thibaut

thibaut Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Thibaut A.
    I am of aware of any kit to retro fit lift suspension on 575. I would assume cost to be prohibitive anyway.
    I think the best idea is to park the car in a decent car park where you have a gentle slope. I park mine at NCP in central london. Some offer reasonable rates.
    575 is a very good car, you'll enjoy it. It is very low and does scrape the underside of the nose if you're not careful

16. jonlevel2

jonlevel2 Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jon Dubrick
    I have a similar problem at my condo, slope of garage floor is at an obscene level. Made me rethink buying the car until I either rent or build sepearte storage for the car.

17. bnation

bnation Rookie

Nov 15, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Nation
    I brought my new/used 355 home last fall to find I couldn't get it in the driveway without severe scraping. So now after procrastinating 7 years, I got a new $15,000 driveway to go with the $60,000 car. My wife is very pleased as she's been on me to fix it anyway. She likes the car too.