vintage replicas... | FerrariChat

vintage replicas...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bostonmini, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Im sorry, Im very new to the world of vintage fcars, and I think that after having seen one at FNE, IM HOOKED! a black 250 SWB, gorgeous...my question is though, for the enthusiast that loves the cars, and wants a real ferrari, but does not need such perfection as matching numbers, is there any way of getting one of these cars for a semi reasonable price? for example, I think the 250 GTO is gorgeous, but they are sky high in price because so few originals were made, and now each has a race history, is there any solution for one to have the experience and not feel guilty driving it all summer? I know for example, the GT500 (shelby) has been reproduced for this exact purpose, and their are some Porsche-allowed cars made that replicate perfectly the 550 spyder.

2. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I see the thread by william H for the 250 thats really quite incredible, but i really should add that I meant for cars like the 275 and 365....but DEF. must have really ferrari engines, of course.

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I'm not sure what you really mean by: "...I meant for cars like the 275 and 365....but DEF"

You mean just a normal 275 GTB? What kind of 365? DEF?

The costs involved in doing a custom, replica body would be the same whether the shape is of a 275 GTB, or a 250 GTO, so you might as well go for the most exotic (ie 250 GTO).

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    I should have been more clear, I meant a 275 GTB, and a 365 gtb/4 ( i believe affectionately known as "the daytona") though Im not sure its actually called that anywhere...interesting though, that these projects can be done, I really meant that I think these two models are significantly more common than a GTO. Secondly, the engines must come from other cars or they are reproduced for a cost at the factory? and the chassis? the bodywork Im sure you could find from somewhere.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Just what exactly are you talking about?
    Fine examples are available on the market of both the 275gtb
    and the Daytona.
    Why would you need to fabricate anything?
    Hell, you can buy a Daytona for under 100k

6. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Now that I understand what you mean, you can find a Daytona replica for as low as in the $10K range... But what you'll get is a poorly-done fiberglass body on a Corvette chassis and its V-8. But if that sounds good to you, then by all means, go ahead.

I haven't seen too many 275 GTB replicas. Certainly not as popular as the Daytona.