Vintage Rolex question | FerrariChat

Vintage Rolex question

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by carguy246, Feb 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
  2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    It's a Frankenstein which isn't necessarily bad but what exactly are you wanting? Do you want a vintage watch with a service dial, newer case back and newer bracelet? Or do you want more of the vintage feel with appropriate parts? I would personally rather just get a newer watch (16710) that's all original or if you have the funds, get a vintage one that that at least has the original bracelet on it and case back. Service dial isn't the end of the world.

3. Greg34

Greg34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 31, 2010
    Sunset Beach
    Full Name:
    Greg
    IMHO:
    Way overpriced for a Frankinwatch.
    Look around online and you will find nice all original watches for that price or less with Pepsi or Coke bezels

4. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I'll keep looking. I find the vintage watches to be kind of scary to purchase unless you know what you are doing. I might get something newer, which would be simpler. I am interested in either a vintage watch or a basically new watch as I have a early 90's Sea Dweller and want something from a different era. Thanks again.

5. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland
    I got excited about this one when I first saw it, but found a lot of things they don't disclose when I did some research.

https://www.crownandcaliber.com/products/tudor-submariner-7928-10-10-tud-5bnus8

Font on the dial is strange, hands appear to be from a later lollipop Tudor and the case seems to be from a later watch as well. Probably a lot of other problems that I am not even aware of.

6. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    As an FYI... my dealer was way less than bobswatches and the other web based dealers. Makes no sense, but there it is... shop around.

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That is a service case. 4,4xx,xxx serial number is the “tell”. This one is NOT your watch.

8. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Check out Davidsw Rolex. He is based in Orlando. I have purchased several Rolex watches from him. He has an impeccable reputation. He can find the impossible at a reasonable price. Very trustworthy.

9. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    Another good source is to check out the Rolex forum. They have a classified area of Rolex for sale. Several reputable dealers. You can check out Bob’s watch reputation on that forum.

I spent 70% of my time on the Ferrari chat and 30% on the Rolex forum.

I agree, that is not the watch for you. Do you want something That you can enjoy, retain its value, and pass on to your family.

10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    However be warned the Admin there LOL-x is a tyrant worse than Rob.

11. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I like how they say service case, service dial instead of replacement. What happens to a case that it requires replacement?

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Corrosion or dropped in the garbage disposal.

13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Rolex's standards for changing a case are fairly unrealistic. I've seen plenty that needed just a bit of fixing but which they said requires replacement. I don't know the specifics on this one but just saying in general it doesn't have to be that bad.