Visiting Maui.... | FerrariChat

Visiting Maui....

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by The Ape, Mar 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Just wanted to express how much I love this Island. Im here on my anniversary. We got married here at the Four Seasons 4 yrs ago and have been visiting Lana'i every year since. I love Lana'i but there is so much more to do here. I haven't spotted any F cars but I still have 2 days left!
    Mahalo!
    Ape

2. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi

Welcome and congratulations on your anniversary. Thanks for your kind words about the islands.

3. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Hi everybody,

I will be on Maui end of July beginning of August.
    I'll be there with my wife and our 3 children.
    Where should I stay?
    I'd like a condo with 3 rooms.
    I looked at web site like vacationrentals and VRBO but couldn't find the right place.
    Any suggestions?

Francois

4. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Aloha Francois

I am sorry that I have not spent enough time on Maui to be of any real help to you. I did spend a little time with a search on "Maui B&B" and saw that there is a real variety of offerings. There was one in West Maui that seemed to offer a multi-room option. (bluehorizonsmaui.com). It looks like that site is also an agent for many B&B's. I am sure that a local contact that is in the business would know of something that would meet your needs. Because the visitor industry is in such a slump, it is certain that your inquiries will be very welcome.

Are you at all familiar with Maui? Different areas will provide a very different experience. I think that the first decision would need to be what part of the island you would like to make homebase. I hope someone from that island will post.

5. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    Thanks Sowest,
    I am looking at Kaanapali as my home base for my stay. It's a recommandation from a friend who like the place very much.

6. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    I think that your friend gave you good advice. Kaanapali is West Maui. If I were going to vacation on the island I would stay at either West or South Maui, with some preference for West. Good luck on your search and have a great time in Hawaii.

7. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    As the X-owner of Blue Horizons I can tell you that it is no longer in business. A long sad story for another time. You should not have any problem finding a condo that will suit you. The rentals are currently down 30++% Try the VBO (vacation by owner) web sites and you will find both houses and condo’s that are just right for your family and for rent at reasonable rates. A house in Ka’anapilli and Laniapoco or a large condo on the lower Honoapi'ilani Rd. should be easy to find that time of year. Check out the Guest house & Garden Gate B&B's. If you have any questions just ask.
    Jim:)

8. mauispence

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    #8 mauispence, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    As a note of interest my old home, the Ex Blue Horizons B&B house, is for sale and one of the selling points is it's past use as a B&B.
    If any one is considering this be sure to contact me and I'll see to it you know all the ins and outs of this property. Running a B&B is a lifestyle calling not a job and can be very rewarding if you do it right and very stressful if you do it wrong. Having said that, knowing what I know now I would do it again. (But not at this price)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    I'm Maui now and I haven't seen any F-cars up to this point. Where are they all at?

10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'll be in Maui with my wife and 2 children celebrating my 15th wedding anniversary! We stayed in Maui on our honeymoon at the fabulous Grand Wailea. Won't be staying there this time around, but we will be in a nice place - quite excited to return!

11. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I am just back from a week in Maui - Lovely place, but not an exotic car to be seen on the streets anywhere!

Closest I came was spotting a couple of older Porsche 911's.

Sure seems like everone on the island drives a rented Mustang convertible, though.

However, there is what appears to be an abandoned orange Bricklin across the street from the Safeway (more or less) in Lahaina - who woulda thought THAT?

Cheers - DM

12. rllucero

rllucero Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2006
    Santa Fe/San Diego
    Full Name:
    richontravel
    I also did that old Bricklin that was parked.

I have seen a ton of mustang convertibles. No F-cars though although a guy parking our car saw my Ferrari hat and told me that there was a guy that had a yellow one but he didn't know the model.

Either way I love Maui, great place!

13. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Convertible Mustangs must be car rentals. My, things haven't changed in the 15 years I was last there!

I do recall that on Oahu, there was a place that rented Ferraris / Lambos and what not. Don't know if it's still around, but there was nothing like that I saw on Maui.

14. mauispence

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    There are no exotics for rent on Maui at this time that I'm aware of.:( Bummer!!

15. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    What is the weather like at the moment? I'll be there this coming week!

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The temperature will be about 80 to 85 Degrees. It will either be raining or not. If it is raining it will stop soon. If not raining it will be raining soon. If you don't like the rain drive a few miles and it won't be raining. If you like the rain stay where you are because it probably isn't raining a few mile away. And if it is raining it will still be 80 to 85 Degrees out.

17. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    No different than the last time I was there! Coming from the East Coast, so it will be nice to be away...FAR away!

18. Ferrariman355

Ferrariman355 F1 Rookie

Jul 11, 2004
    NYC
    Heading out to Maui as well on the 18th! Will be there until the 24th :D

19. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Here now - weather is great...simply paradise here!

20. mauispence

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    Check out LULu's in the Lahania Cannery Mall it has all food 1/2 price from 5 to 6 pm every day. The drinks are ok I'm told and soda refills are free. :)

21. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    There's also Sansei (sushi place) that has 25% off on Sundays and Mondays between 5:30 and 6:00 pm. Get there early as the line grows quick...

22. mauispence

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    I believe you have to have a Hawaiian ID to get the discount at Samsei’s. The Rock Dynamite Shrimp is “ono grinds” for sure. ;)

23. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    50% discount to locals, 25% to "haole" :) I stayed at the Ritz Carlton, and I actually liked Kai (the in-hotel sushi restaurant) slightly better. However, Trudy (the bartender at Sansei) gave us an awesome recommendation for panko-crusted ahi, arugula, and spinach in a soy-wasabi butter...it was sublime!

Just got back and I already miss it. If anyone wants a recommendation - try Mama's Fish House in North Shore...about the most stunning scenery I've ever seen and darn good food to boot!