voom high definition tv | FerrariChat

voom high definition tv

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by G-force, Feb 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    just had 3 receivers installed yesterday. They used all the dish network wiring.
    SOOOO much better...... about 30 HD channels!!!!!
    The future of HD TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Voom is fantastic. I've been converting buddies to it for six months, and I haven't even done it myself yet, lol.

I would make the leap today but I'm waiting for Tivo to release a stand alone PVR recorder that's HD-capable. There are some stand-alone units on the market already, but none have 250GB hard drives yet which are needed to record 25 hours of HD content.

Nice Wayne, a Gallardo and HD Voom all in the same month. Now all you have to do is buy that Gulfstream V and you'll complete the "living life to the fullest" trifecta. :)

3. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Wayne, you are my hero !! Do you need any proteges? I will work VERY hard.

4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    But its my impression that alot of the additional Voom channels are simply over the air HD broadcast channels that are retransmitted to end users via satellite. I am having a problem capturing the 119 satellite in my location. HBO and the DirectTV HD pay per view channel route thru that. What's the story on Voom's satellites?

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i looked into voom, and it looked like TON of the content was simply being upsampled. and you can do that yourself with a good video scaler - and scale EVERY damn channel you can receive (cable, sat, ota, etc.).

there just isn't enough HD content yet (though mark cuban is working feverishly to fix that!).

i'm also holding tight until the HD PVR stuff is sorted out. the DISH 921 is still being debugged (publicly - sucks to pay $1000 to be part of a beta program - ouch) and the DirecTiVo HD PVR is just vapor still.

i'm stunned voom doesn't have a unit yet - painfully obvious way to differentiate themselves (and they do need the differentiation).

doody.

6. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Doody
    Not really... 21 channels are theirs exculsively plus the usual HBO,shoW HD stuff
    Plus a 24 hour HD news/weather/sports launced last week.
    This is the future and dish and direct better vastly improve their inventory
    of HD or be left behind. I'll liken this to Lamborghini vs. Ferrari.

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I also suspect that the content owners are not gonna be real quick or happy about digital copying in HD format.
    I have been enjoying what little there is on my new video system. But, as i mentioned earlier in this thread, i am not able to receive one of the three satellites, given my horizon, so the scant HD programming available is even more limited at my house right now. (I was told that more programming is going to sent by Direct TV via the 110 satellite, but have been unable to confirm that. As for what i currently receive, its just like the days of yore (when for example the introduction of stereo brought some brilliantly engineered but absolutely lame programming- look at the old HP list of Absolute recordings and you'll see plenty of early stereo demo records whose content is about as involving as warm jello): there was a Spy Kids 2 movie on the other afternoon that had some remarkable images when the kids were in the water. Presumably, this movie was shot in 35 and then delivered as an HD signal. It was pretty impressive.

The DLP Leeza combo, being fed by an SDI output on the DVD player is pretty amazing, though. I changed screens to a Stewart grey screen and the apparent black levels are pretty deep. I haven't been bothered by any weird color artifacts or rainbows, and the freedom from video grunge, including chroma noise and that nasty artifact (i forget the technical term) where the scanning lines break up or jiggle, enables the system to fool you into thinking you are watching a clean, high quality film print. I have total light control (ie a black room) and the gain is low, so it doesn't look like big TV. I think you guys would be impressed, even with a DVD signal.

8. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Soundslike you are REALLY into this stuff. I'm just a "casual user"!!
    VOOM programming puts others to shame. Their satelite is at 20 degrees elevation.I think Direct and Dish are at 47-52 degrees?

9. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    When I called to cancel Disn network they asked me why I was
    dis-continuing their service .I told them for more high definition I was going
    to VOOM. They asked if they gave me a free month would I stay?

So if you have DISH you can get a free month if you threaten to switch...for what it is worth....