W.H. Lowe image archive | Page 19 | FerrariChat

W.H. Lowe image archive

Discussion in 'Australia' started by carl888, Aug 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alveng

alveng Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Venice, Milan. ITALY
    Full Name:
    Alvise
    Good morning. I'd like to know if there's a way to locate any image of the car at the Melbourne Motor Show. Thank you very much

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  2. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    That is the only photo I have ever seen of thar car at the show .

3. alveng

alveng Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Venice, Milan. ITALY
    Full Name:
    Alvise
    Thank you very much. Maybe the image comes from a magazine or a newspaper. Maybe you know about a rich Australian archive about motoring events?

4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    another photo
    I thought I posted this earlier, source unknown.
    330 GT is #6203 John Ellis I think Pino Verde.
    The LM was Verde Medio commonly ordered by Bill Lowe for himself -- the SWB was also and my 330GT 8685

Attached Files:

5. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    someone more computer savy than me might be able to do a deep search on that photo description and find the original publisher

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  6. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Howard , was the 1st owner of your 330 GT a Bill White a Melbourne publican?

7. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    MrGrigio, kerrari and B500 like this.
  8. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    don't recognize the name

9. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    islerodreaming, MrGrigio and DMWC like this.
  10. alveng

alveng Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Venice, Milan. ITALY
    Full Name:
    Alvise
    Thank you very much. The article is in Italian. It could be the famous Quattroruote magazine. It could be important for me to source this image

11. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
  12. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
  13. jeffphillipis

jeffphillipis Rookie

Jan 27, 2023
    Full Name:
    Jeff Williams
    Hello. I saw the W H Lowe in question. To memory both the 330 GT and the 250LM were the same magnificent metallic emerald green.
    The 250LM was the subject of a Chris De Fraga write up in the Melbourne Herald.
    The metallic emerald green highlighted its magnificent curvaceous bodywork.

14. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    DMWC, FazzerPorscheman and B500 like this.
  15. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Never new they were the VIC distributors for Lancia ,but that would make sense considering they were a engineering firm

16. Andy Lowe

Andy Lowe Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Andrew Lowe
    Hi Carl,

I have stumbled across this thread looking for old advertising memorabilia for W. H. Lowe & Co as I have always loved the story about Ferrari in Australia.
    Bill was my Great Grandfather, hence why I have loved seeing all of the old photos and hearing the stories you and others have shared on this thread.
    I have commented on this post as my father was quite young when the Lowe’s had the business, however his older brother, Peter, worked within the business and may be able to help document this period for you. He has some limited memorabilia also that was handed down from his father Ralph who also worked there alongside the engineering business.

Thank you for such an insightful view of W. H. Lowe & Co, I have loved reading through it and look forward to continuing through the thread.

Kind regards,

Andy Lowe.

Lowe, F106SJ, monza75 and 11 others like this.
  17. Geoff Lowe

Geoff Lowe Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey William Lowe
    Hi Carl,
    I am new to the forum. I shall check with my brother as he is 9 years older and worked at W H Lowe. I was 12 years old when my Dad (Ralph Lowe) took me in this 250LM to get it road registered. It had arrived with the tallest diff in it and was virtually undriveable on the road due to it's race cams. I don't remember it being for David McKay. I thought it was bought for my grandfather W H. He never drove it as it was still undriveable even with a different diff set up. This is why it sat in the basement for years before being sold. Again, I will check with my brother but as I understand it, the car is in Italy being completely restored. Also my memory is that it was sold to Ronnie Hoare, a UK Ferrari dealer, whom I think became a dealer in Sydney??

F106SJ, Rosey and carl888 like this.
  18. Geoff Lowe

Geoff Lowe Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey William Lowe
    Hi,
    If this car was pale blue then I can fill you in. If it is the original blue, then it is the first 246 to Australia. Ferrari was not going to produce the 246 in right hand drive, so Dad imported a left hand drive. Because of his special relationship with Ferrari including Enzo, he was given all the design drawings for the 246. He was an engineer and along with others designed a conversion to RHD. This design was adopted by Ferrari and hence RHD 246's became available. Hope this is of interest.
    Geoff Lowe

Lowe, Rosey, Andy Lowe and 7 others like this.
  19. Geoff Lowe

Geoff Lowe Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey William Lowe
    See my other post regarding this car. I don't remember any other 246 in this colour so this could be the car I refer to in my last post. LHD to RHD, first 246 into Australia. I drove that car many times as a young person. Also drove first 365 BB imported, again a blue car. I was quite young and foolish and did 300 kmh along the Maroondah Highway!!
    Geoff Lowe

20. Geoff Lowe

Geoff Lowe Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey William Lowe
    Hi Carl,
    My son Andy put me onto this forum this morning. It is fantastic. I was quite young during the early years but still have memories of many of the cars. I am very happy to help out where I can. My elder brother Peter is more reliable to being older but also he worked at W H Lowe. I will see if he's interested in joining the forum. I assume the funeral was MB?
    Regards Geoff Lowe

F106SJ and carl888 like this.
  21. Geoff Lowe

Geoff Lowe Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey William Lowe
    Hi,
    Just a little extra history. During tight financial times, W H Lowe (Automobiles) was sold to a person (I think I will not include his name), who was a customer owning several Ferraris and many other prestige cars. The business moved to Box Hill into what had been Bob Jane T Mart. Turned out the guy was a crook and brought our good name into disrepute. He was selling off his collection which was on floor plan with AGL but keeping the proceeds. AGL caught up with him and he went to prison. It was then that Lance Dixon took over.
    Regards
    Geoff

F106SJ likes this.
  22. Geoff Lowe

Geoff Lowe Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey William Lowe
    Can't help you with the Dino but that is Mum's red Lancia Fulvia in the background. We lived at 300 Lower Heidelberg Road and so a few of our cars were 300. There was no association to LBJ, the USA president. Ha Ha.

23. Geoff Lowe

Geoff Lowe Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey William Lowe
    No connection to LBJ, just coincidence. Was my Mum's car.
    Geoff Lowe

24. Geoff Lowe

Geoff Lowe Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey William Lowe
    Ca
    Carl,
    I remember that incident. You refer to JA. Is that John Allen and do you have contact with him. I would love to catch up. I spent many hours after school learning from him.
    Geoff

25. Geoff Lowe

Geoff Lowe Rookie

Apr 11, 2023
    Full Name:
    Geoffrey William Lowe
    Hi,
    See my other post regarding WH Lowe demise.
    Geoff Lowe