Walmart wants to open store in the hood | FerrariChat

Walmart wants to open store in the hood

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by mr. green, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr. green

mr. green Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Walmart is trying to open up a store in Inglewood, Ca. They are currently
    being kept out of the city by the Los Angeles counsel. The counsel members feel that Walmart might put some small business's out if they
    locate there. Do you think Walmart should be able to open up in this
    location. ( For people out of state Inglewood is where the Los angeles
    lakers played basketball before they relocated to Staples center in
    downtown Los Angeles)

2. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    A walmart will definately affect small businesses because they can offer the same products usually at a lower price. Also, you can go to walmart, buy your groceries, get new tires on your car, do all your christmas shopping for everyone and more, all in one trip.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Note: Inglewood has been incorporated since Feb. 14, 1908. That being the case, despite the L.A. Council decision, Inglewood's citizens have a ballot initiative to vote on the Wal-Mart proposal in April - thereby putting the decision back in Inglewood's hands, where it belongs.

LOS ANGELES -- Wal-Mart wanted to build one of its new super stores in Los Angeles but the proposal has turned into a controversy.

Wal-Mart, the largest chain store business in the nation, wanted to expand in Los Angeles with one of their super stores. Those stores sell groceries in addition to other items.

But many people, especially striking market workers, view the nonunion Wal-Mart as a threat.

Eric Garcetti, a Los Angeles councilmember said, "I'm somebody who believes in low prices but it gives me an extra good feeling when I go to a place like Costco knowing I'm getting super low prices and that people are able to support their families."

Peter Kanelos, a spokesman for Wal-Mart said, "This is not a battle between Wal-Mart and the City Council, it's not a battle between Wal-Mart and the residents of Los Angeles. This is a battle between multibillion-dollar corporations that are competing for the grocery market."

In the end, an LA City Council committee voted against the Wal-Mart plan, but Inglewood now has a ballot initiative set for April of next year that if passed would allow Wal-Mart to build the first super store in the LA area.

4. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    What is a Walmart?? Do they sell stuff for walls? ):