Warm Climate: if I need the defroster in early morning must the heater be connected? | FerrariChat

Warm Climate: if I need the defroster in early morning must the heater be connected?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Subito Grigio, Mar 5, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Subito Grigio

Subito Grigio Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2009
    I would like to shut-off and isolate the heater. That would be crazy because…..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    Related question: I removed the AC years ago. The heat (very low flow) is on all the time which, if I understand FChat posts, is the default/normal setting. That is - something must be turned off to halt it.
    Pressing the console buttons doesn’t halt the flow. What is the best way to control the flow of heat.

3. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure the following is correct:

The heater valve fails open but if it connected to the control it should fully close. The temperature selector dial would control that, the buttons control the general mode and where the air goes. That should be independent of the A/C being removed, but which I assume you mean the compressor is out.

The heat is an on/off set up that cycles at varying speed depending on what is called for. With A/C on, it would probably cycle on to temper the output air temperature. Without A/C it should still function normally as long as heating is called for, as opposed to delivering air cooler than the ambient temperature.

The heater valve is simple to fix although access is horrible. It uses a plunger seal kit that would be sold for 5-series BMW's of the same era. There are other threads on that fix, which I did a long time ago on both the Mondial and my 533. That fix should eliminate the production of heat at all.

4. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
  5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    When I have my major service done at Tim Stanford's in November, he showed be a 328 where they had installed a simple ball valve on the heater line, since we really don't use the heat here in Florida, rather than try to replace the actual electric valve, he also told me if I wanted to take care of a slight leak in my heater valve (to help the air conditioning work better )to put a ball valve in the location of the photo below and just turn it off.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    I read the workshop manual and several FChat threads regarding heater controls. For info, I had the AC removed years ago.

As I was driving today I pushed the “Stop” button firmly then I pushed the windshield blower button firmly, then the stop button again. This may have dislodged or bumped the heater flap closed because the heat from the heater became negligible! I have the hot/cold dial at mid-range and the blower dial turned down.

Most of this issue was because I didn’t understand the controls and because the system is now “old”, like me!

SG

7. Subito Grigio

Jun 2, 2009
    By the way, this is the instrument panel Dave Helms made for the car. I believe the plate changed almost every year -so if you are replacing yours make sure the new one is exactly the same as your old one.