Was A/C Standard or Optional on 328 | FerrariChat

Was A/C Standard or Optional on 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by jbarnesblackburn, May 10, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jbarnesblackburn

Oct 4, 2021
    Hi All,

This is my first post on here so please be gentle :).

My father has a 1987 328 GTS (we're based in the UK so its a UK RHD model) but he's not much of a forum guy so I have a quick question (I'm 18 so I don't have a Ferrari yet but I do have a 1977 Porsche 924). Every options list I see for 328s lists A/C as an option (aside from in the US where they mostly seem to say it was standard), however I'm wondering if this is actually correct as I've never seen a 328 without it, in person or in pictures?

The centre console, where the two control knobs are located, seems as though it was designed to accommodate them right from the start - it would look a bit unbalanced without them. Additionally there doesn't appear to be anything in the spare parts catalogue (the one with the diagrams and labelled parts/part numbers) that would indicate that A/C was an option - the Porsche PET catalogues usually indicate if a part was optional or model year specific.

Jonathan

66MK likes this.
  2. Talon38

Talon38 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Lambert
    jbarnesblackburn likes this.
  3. jbarnesblackburn

Oct 4, 2021
    Hello Mike,

Yes, it's definitely odd, which makes me wonder whether it is incorrect information that has spread and people now just assume to be true. I would love to see a picture of one with no A/C though, if such a car exists. I've used this website: http://308-328.com/328/index328en.html for a lot of my research and its says the same thing as everywhere else. I'll have to do some more research I think. Cheers Mike!

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Nothing odd at all. And they do indeed exist, I even drove one. But they are not numerous. The information is perfectly correct, Air Conditioning indeed was an option on "Continental European cars and U.K", which means you had to pay extra to get it, whereas all U.S market cars were delivered with it.
    (There actually were very few options on U.S 328s, they were all delivered fully optioned, except for the "extended leather" - a pity, if you ask me, because that thing should have been mandatory, really - whereas on european 328s, quite a number of things such as the roof spoiler, etc...were optional).

HOWEVER, even if A/C was optional (look at the period list for options of the 328s,, and you will see how much extra it cost) ALMOST all the European 328s were ordered with it (and the option duly paid for, of course).
    BUT still, a very small number of "euro" 328s do not have A/C (= the option was not chosen, and not paid for), which means no A/C controls on the center console. From a "performance" point of view, if this still makes sense for a 35-years old car, the best 328 I ever drove was a "serie 2" 328 GTB, testing it for a friend: GTB, so stiffer and sharper; "serie 2", so more precise suspension; no ABS (option only); no A/C (option only) so about 90 lbs (or 42-43 kgs) lighter. Would have bought it in a heartbeat: where I live, A/C is of no use; I never, ever, turned it on on my own '89 GTB in 15 years of ownership; don't even know if it works.

Rgds

sherpa23, Albert-LP and Rosey like this.
  5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have no actual knowledge re what Ferrari did so I am just speculating...

I suspect that all 328s delivered to the US had the optional AC because that's what Ferrari USA specified. That is not at all unusual and is common today. For example, when I was buying a new BMW R1200RS moto a few years ago, I wanted one with certain options but NOT all the "options" that were on the bikes at the dealer. They advised that all US R1200RS's came with the specific option package and that if I wanted one with a different set of options (or no options), it would have to be special ordered. Could have been exactly the same with the 328 in the US.

6. Talon38

Talon38 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Lambert
    Thanks for the interesting discussion and, again, Jonathan, welcome! You may be carrying this thread in fifty years! Does anyone have a photo of the optional leather? I just re-covered my 328 GTS (Gran Turismo Spyder, which I learned by researching this thread) with the beige cloth from Italy. Maybe leather next time. Actually, next time I won't be around anymore ;>). Cheers! Enjoyable discussion!

7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The "extended leather" option was for the "parcel shelf" plus rear windows surround (including under the roof arch), and the roof liner (= you couldn't separate the two). It's even nicer on a GTB than on a GTS, because the roof liner is in one large single piece.
    I always find it strange that very few cars had it, as it brings a touch of elegance to the car, and it was the least expensive of all options.

The dasboard could be ordered in leather also, but it was a separate order from the "parcel shelf + windows surround and roof liner". When ordered in leather, the dasboard could be matched to the seats leather, or any orher color, although the factory recommended to stay with black, due to the reflections in the windscreen. Said in other words: a dasboard that is not black: it is leather.

Rgds

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Leather seats LOOK good but, IMO, they suck as functional seats - in cars, in houses, in motorcycles - pretty much everywhere. They are cold when it's cold, hot/sweaty when it's hot, and require a lot of care. Not sure who decided leather seating was a good idea once there were other materials available that would wear well and breathe.

Oh well, leather is what we've got...

Talon38 likes this.
  9. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand

Jonathan,

please find below pictures of the only UK GTS without A/C I know. As always @nerofer is right but I would like to see copy of one of US, Australian and Middle East (!) period Ferrari 328 price list because I never see until today, a 328 from those market without A/C. I THINK importer of those area ordered all 328 with it (?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. jbarnesblackburn

Oct 4, 2021
    Thanks for all the replies guys! That's great to see the pictures too, I wasn't sure if I'd ever see any of a non A/C 328. It's kind of amusing to see how Ferrari visibly left the base panel for the centre console with the cut-outs for the A/C knobs and only used a different piece of vinyl trim. I guess they knew that they wouldn't sell many examples without A/C.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The appearance of that console - with the two holes for the AC controls "visible" underneath the vinyl, would have really put me off if I had ordered a 328 with no AC back in the day. Seems like anybody with scissors, a pice of veneer and some vinyl could have made a better looking panel to cover those holes than Ferrari did!

12. jbarnesblackburn

Oct 4, 2021
    Agreed, I think I’d have selected AC even if I never planned to use it, just because I prefer the more “finished” looking centre console with the AC controls. Nevertheless it’d be a pretty cool thing to have (or not have in this case) in a 328 these days as such cars are clearly incredibly rare.

13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    From all the research I have seen all Australian 328 GTS's (only sold in GTS no GTB) were all sold with A/C as standard fitment.

14. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Let me answer that question for you,

No, it doesn't work. ;-)

Lester

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Correct. I own an '89 one without A/C and without ABS: actually it's a GTB turbo, the two liters turbocharged Itlian marlet only model based on 328 GTB. I do confirm that it has by far the best handling I have ever found on the ten 208-308-328 I owned: lightness is a plus. Or at least this is what my driving possibilities made me feel.

Ciao

16. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    #16 stonker, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Here's a price list for UK cars from 1986. It shows air con as a pretty expensive option on a 328!

Btw my aircon blows pretty cold as long as it's regassed regularly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jbarnesblackburn and Albert-LP like this.
  17. jbarnesblackburn

Oct 4, 2021
    Ah that’s interesting actually. Does this mean that the leather dash and/or headliner/rear window surround were not available as options in the U.K.?

18. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    Maybe they were a later option on ABS cars? Anybody have a later price list

19. jbarnesblackburn

Oct 4, 2021
    #19 jbarnesblackburn, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
    I think I’ve answered my own question. Found this eBay listing (https://www.ebay.com/itm/372987671269) with price list from October 1987 which shows both leather dash and headliner/rear window surround options but still no Schedoni luggage set option.

20. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    It seems weird to see that the base 3.2 Mondial coupe was £2,749.55 more expensive than a base 328 GTB, and £1549.81 more expensive than a 328 GTS.

(And the base Mondial cabriolet was £6149.43 more expensive than a base 328 GTB, and £4949.69 more expensive than a base 328 GTS)

In today's market, the 3.2 Mondials are @ £20K ~£50K cheaper than the 328's.

21. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    Present on April 1987 UK price list, not before to my knowledge