Was the 'Boxer package' really a thing? | FerrariChat

Was the 'Boxer package' really a thing?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by rpissm, Feb 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #2 turbo-joe, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    sorry, but typical US - some black paint and soon they speek from boxer pkg
    in europe never from factory available
    also the boxer has not been new available in 1985, there was still the testarossa

what strange kind of car is this?
    308 GTSi quatrovalvole???
    never available ! ! !
    so one of a kind?? :)
    can not be a GTSi this year

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

My guess is that this dealer is playing with words in an effort to describe the paint scheme, not that it was an "official" package that was offered by the factory.

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I would say that this dealer has absolutely no knowledge what he try to sell. sad such a handling :(
    if such a dealer would sell the car in germany he could be sure that after selling the new owner will go to court and like to get money back because the description is not right. and the new owner will win. but other countries - other systems

5. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Boxer trim was offered by the factory on 308's and 328's.

sixcarbs, hyenahf and Nuvolari like this.
  6. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    #6 hyenahf, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    i recall becker dealer in germany offered the boxer trim from the factory back in the late 70's perhaps special ordered? here are a pic of later usa 308 qv boxer trim or paint at the factory. mine was a gtsi with factory boxer paint

https://mondialt.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/factory-visit-oct-83-05.jpg

https://mondialt.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/factory-visit-oct-83-03.jpg

they had gt4s from the factory too

http://www.automobiliac.com/automobiliac/2012/7/26/who-says-all-ferraris-should-be-red.html

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Not correct. Ferrari did offer 'boxer trim' from factory on the 308 and 328 which was the bottom half of the car painted in semi-gloss/satin black. In addition there is nothing 'strange' about this car. It is a 1985 308 QV that the selling dealer is obviously not 100% fluent in all of the minutia of exact terminology or nomenclature for Ferrari geeks such as ourselves. Let's cut this dealer some slack as they cannot be expected to know every detail of every car they sell especially when they offer multiple marques.

GatorFL likes this.
  8. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
  9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    oh ! ! !
    have not known this before :(
    also have never seen an original info flyer about this BB design

10. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Many 308s were resprayed below the belt line, very few are from the factory.

turbo-joe likes this.
  11. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    george, imo i think it was the opposite. a number 308's came with boxer lower paint from the factory. most of them 308 gt4's. many were hard to resell because the boxer paint weren't the most popular. i personally dont know of many cars that were repainted this way but i may be wrong

fast forward 30-35 years many folks now are appreciation the distinctive boxer trim rarity and other odd color combo cars. many folks are now looking for cars other then expected red/blk red/tan that were the rage in the 70's and 80's these days. this is especially true in the pcar aircooled world.

12. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I think I would agree with you on the gt4s.

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apparently this optional Boxer Color scheme was available from 1975-1982 and had Matt black lower body code 20.B.50 plus 20.T.380 Matt lacquer. So this wouldn't have been available from the factory in 1985 for the car advertised on EBay from the original post. It must have been changed to the Boxer paint scheme during a repaint.

turbo-joe likes this.
  14. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    I got original yellow 308 GTB with boxer paint, it was painted over with bodycolor, but it is clear how car is black in areas where usually is with body color. Also car got advert from 70's with mention of "boxer paint"

15. azzurre7

azzurre7 Rookie

Jan 20, 2017
    Not sure of the issue on this one, Boxer Trim package was available in 1985 in the U.S. and listed in the option sheet.