Watches, Robberies and Fakes | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Watches, Robberies and Fakes

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by poljav, Aug 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I refuse to buy or wear fake anything. The whole concept of buying or displaying fake merch goes against the very reason why I would buy nice things for myself or family. If you buy fake stuff then you are likely just trying to impress or fool others. On another note, I used to daily a nice watch years ago, but have since moved to using an Apple watch for daily work and sometimes switch to the Swatch Moon Watch...

poljav and ronfrohock like this.
  2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Which one is she looking for?

3. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I watch a recent video from the UK where 2 guys went inside an office just to rob someone wearing a yellow gold day date.

I feel sorry for the guy. He was really roughed up.

4. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #29 Whisky, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    That would be easy as hell here, with most businesses having those dumb-ass 'no gun zone' signs up
    at every entrance.

I have two fakes and I keep it a secret from NOBODY, in fact, I make it a discussion point.
    Right or wrong - my logic is these are toys, and I enjoy showing them off, and I make it a point
    to show off what to look for between real and fake.

You can tell a fake Rolex from a real one many different ways, one is the second hand
    has a constant sweep, whereas a real one has a 'stutter-sweep' every second.
    Another that I pointed out on FC a few weeks ago is the 'rehaut' on a real Rolex -
    think of the rehaut like it is the inside wall of a pie pan.
    The 'R' should be aligned on the every-five-second notch - 5 seconds after, 10 seconds, 15, and so on.
    (I THINK the 'R' is not aligned at the 12 o'clock one on the real ones, but every other 5 seconds it should be correct on a real one, but you get the gist of what I am saying, what to look for)

if off by just one tick, that's enough to signify it as fake.:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Allofabbri

Allofabbri Rookie

Jul 1, 2019
    Dubai/ITA
    Full Name:
    AF
    As someone who does quite a bit of travelling, especially to London, UK where watch theft has reached ridiculous levels, and almost fell victim of watch theft in plain daylight walking through Hyde park, I have now purchased a replica of each of my real watches, so if push comes to shove and I get a knife pointed at me I'll simply hand over the replica and have an almost insignificant economic loss.
    I understand that wearing a replica is a risk regardless (I have a tough time determining my gen Submariner to my replica) but I think I should also be able of "doing whatever I want" and not have to alter my lifestyle or life due to others or fear.

6. JDZNate

JDZNate Formula Junior

May 14, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate

Why not get a nice Seiko diver instead of a counterfeit watch?

VegasGreek likes this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Except you can get clobbered on the back of the head with a club, punched multiple times, injected with some drug they’re now using...and have your cheap watch stolen. Hoping they don’t find out they were hoodwinked before you get out of there.
    Just a thought.

WilyB, Il Tifoso and JDZNate like this.
  8. Allofabbri

Allofabbri Rookie

Jul 1, 2019
    Dubai/ITA
    Full Name:
    AF
    Don't like them, I'm going to pick up a tudor pelagos sometime soon which will be my new daily.

Already had a round 1 in Hyde park and it didn't end too well for the robber..
    As I stated in my other post, I understand I am taking a risk regardless with a fake watch.
    Let's see what the future has in store for me I guess.

JDZNate likes this.
  9. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    would never wear a fake , just asking for it if it was to happen. Bought a citizen eco drive divers , changed out the band out for a Tudor nato strap and just love it . Still bring a secondary watch if I travel . At this point if you have it and cant wear it , i would just sell it . You have to just know where you are going and plan ahead. Last local trip combo ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    All these robberies have different styles or MOs. Some are very organized, with spotters who locate a target and then on a phone, guide the 3 or 4 or 5 man crew to where the target is. Other robberies/muggings are by convenience. They drive or walk down the street or follow you from a restaurant or when shopping. In a location of their setting, they pounce. What is gone are the days when they would ask for your watch or money. Now the tactic is to swarm you by surprise, beat you senseless, and then strip you of everything you've got...watch, phone, money car keys...anything and everything. You cannot even comply or submit...they just start beating on you until you're down and out. Your best protection is situational awareness. Yes, you can see them coming, but not if your head is buried in your phone or some other distraction. Your next best protection is a long sleeve shirt. Wear it and enjoy it but don't flaunt it. If they don't see it, they won't come after it. Not all these thieves are sophisticated...they don't know or care about fakes...if it looks big and gold...or big and fancy...they'll go after it. But no point in leaving what you love at home...if you do that, they've already stolen it from you. If you get caught off guard and complying is an option, do so. However if they start beating on you, fight back. As you get older, simple injuries can suddenly be life changing and fatal. Falling down or being knocked down can mean a broken hip that could cripple you for life. A blow to the head can result in brain injury. Etc. etc. Letting them just stomp and beat you is being an accessory in your own murder. Be prepared to fight back...not for your watch...for your life. These crooks don't care how badly they hurt you.

11. Allofabbri

Allofabbri Rookie

Jul 1, 2019
    Dubai/ITA
    Full Name:
    AF
    In my case, the clasp held so as the robber came up running or speedwalking from behind me, he lost pace and turned towards me, im 193cm by 120kg so I am not small. When I had him in front of me I kicked him as hard as I could in the stomach and got a slap on him, he then turned around and ran off. I suspect and hope he felt both the kick and the slap and got some sense into him.
    I reported the attempt to the police, received an email from a lead crime investigator saying Hyde park barely has any cameras, and that London metro police has been asking for years for more cameras in Hyde park but the city of London has done nothing about it (which is worrying).

Edit: spelling

12. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland