Water pump seal removal | FerrariChat

Water pump seal removal

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dersark_painclinic, Jan 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I am trying to remove the seal without damaging the housing. I tried gear puller but doesn’t work. The bearing is in excellent condition ( even though there is a bearing shortage) and I like to keep it. There is a tiny water leak at the bottom of housing drain whole which is seal related. Any help to remove the seal appreciated. Sark.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You will need to press the bearing/shaft assembly out first. It goes out the front (remove the snap ring) and will be much easier if you warm it up to 200F first. Then clean and reinstall it before pressing in the new seal.

3. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thanks Tim, I have done that process few years ago when I completely disassembled and replaced a new bearing. The 575 WSM claims bearing can be saved if there is no issue with. Heating the bearing and housing does not alter the longevity of bearing?
    What kind of sealer you apply to seal for installation. thanks, sark

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Sark,

I did a post on 550 pump rebuild somewhere in the 550 forum. I also have the tool around here to set the seal properly so the ceramic does not break.

5. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Carl I read you post and you were the first one posted the WP rebuild , thanks

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #6 2NA, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    The engine can easily see 200F when running so that shouldn't hurt anything. The pump housing is aluminum. It will expand just enough that the bearing should come out & go back in easily. The seal typically comes with what appears to be a band of sealant around the outside. If the housing bore is clean and smooth, that might be enough. A few years ago I made a test fixture to verify that the seal was doing it's job. It's no fun redoing the job on a 355.

Attached Files:

MKnightMD, Qavion and fatbillybob like this.
  7. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Nice idea Tim; nothing more frustrating than rebuilding the pump, remounting it, putting everything back together and it still leaks.

You ought to consider renting it out with a refundable deposit for the DIY'ers that rebuild their pumps once in a blue moon.

Thanks for sharing!

8. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Thank you all, so I will go ahead with removing the bearing,
    Sark

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Tim,

how much pressure on the test rig? 20psi?