Water Pump Seals | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Water Pump Seals

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, Oct 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good luck then :)

2. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    #52 kerrywittig, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well Rutlands is sending me the 3rd set of waterpump rebuild parts this year! New o-ring/oil seal/safety plate and a TWO piece seal this time........We're gonna see if I can't R&R in one day....or two. Get it done and put the TR in to hibernation for the winter. I bought a vintage racey car and want to let it occuppy the garage this winter to be completely refurbished!

Only other item I need is a spacer (PN 121066 Item #5). It's no longer available and the one I have has a small nick in it right where the outside diameter transitions. I may be able to fill the nick with a small amount of TIG and then machine it down. Or have a new one "$made$"....or maybe someone out here in F-land might have one or know of a wasted/burnt/broken beyond repair engine I can get one from?????? Mr. Crall or Mr. Helms...Might you have one "knockin' around" in a drawer?????

Spaced out ME
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No but it is hard to imagine it needs to be replaced. If the nick is not right on the contact area for the oil seal it should be OK. If it is under the coolant seal put some 518 on it. I have used some of those that looked like they were salvaged from the Titanic.

I haven't used a 2 piece seal in 10 or more years. And in fact was the only one I ever had trouble with. Ted sent me a knock off and the rubber backer on the ceramic disc was incorrectly designed. The 2 piece seals always were crap and earned Ferrari their reputation for water pump troubles.

4. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    Thanks Brian for the response.......By 518 you mean Loctite 518? It is encouraging that the spacer is most likely NOT the culprit. I will infact post a pix of the spacer before re-installing the parts and the engine and see what the gallery has for "insight"...Oil seal is working fine as far as I can see..no visible oil leak(s) or contamination to the coolant. So, I "assume" the oil seal is working as it should.......I just keep having the coolant leak. As I've written in the past, I've got the Ferrari tool and it installs perpendicular and flush, all surfaces are surgically clean, sealant is applied, pressure (10-12 Lbs) for 48 hours......I'm going waaay overboard to insure that all is proper and suddenly I have a geyser out of the weep hole...

Thanks again Brian for the quick, insightful, and encouraging first hand experience you possess.

Nicked ME

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    if you only need this part no. 5 I think it is easy to make by a machine shop.
    but I don´t think that you need a new one because this is only for the oil seal. and as long as the nick is only a little visible but not right touchable you will get no problem with leeking oil there

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #56 vincenzo, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Keep in mind that four items make for a matched set in these engines:
    ~ Seal
    ~ Impeller
    ~ Spacer
    ~ Spindle

As noted in the pic, the changeover starts on engine 20821.

Changing out one or more items and thereby making a mis-matched set may have unforeseen consequences (AKA - Leak - or worse).

Thanks to Ricambe for the pic....

Rgds,
    Vincenzo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I have updated at least 50 cars to the one piece seal with one part and a very slight reversible mod to another.

Ferrari would really like to sell you a basket load of parts but they are not required and even they said as much.

8. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I started this thread 2 years ago. I am seeing today that there are several people inquiring about water pump seals.

Let me just say that I installed that seal 2 years ago and it hasn't had a problem since. I stand by my statement about using the seal the car came with.

If you choose to do the mod for a 1 piece seal, I suggest you check with Brian Crall. He seems to be the authority on this.

9. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Can you comment on where you added RTV? How much? What kind? Thanks!

10. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I used black RTV (I always use it. Swear by it.) on the outside of the seal and on the shaft. If you look at my old pics you'll see that the surface where the seal slides into was kinda buggered too. So black RTV wins again!

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    So Brian Crall,
    Please explain the modifications to the water pump impeller to use your preferred one piece seal?

12. kerrywittig

kerrywittig Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2005
    Ithaca, New York
    Full Name:
    Kerry David Wittig
    I second that request.....

Supportive Me

13. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    what’s this modification? I’m doing my seal now and it seems the piece that fits into the impeller does not want to seat itself.

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    turbo-joe likes this.
  15. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
  16. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Do yourself a favor and replace with the same seal that was in there. I had to order 2-3 times to get the same seal. I think due to returns, one of the sponsors on here stopped selling the seals.

Mine had the 2 piece seal, didn’t leak for 10+years, so put the same one back in...

clinton and vincenzo like this.
  17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you mean for sure not the same that was in, only the same model? ;)

18. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I ripped my old one up getting it out. I can't make out what kind it was.

19. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    There’s tons of water pump seal threads. Google my name and water pump seal and the key ones come up. No point in reinventing the wheel.

20. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
  21. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003