Wayne Obry | FerrariChat

Wayne Obry

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by norbert, Mar 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #1 norbert, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Just read the sad news that Wayne Obry has left us.

Have been on the phone with Jim Fuchs the past hour. Jim attended the funeral today. For not in anyway to say that I was a personal friend, for all the few times that I spoke with him, and knowing the perfection that Wayne and Jim shared in the restorations of cars; I am so sad at the moment of this writing.

Shared many personal comments from the past with Jim just now. The ones with Jim and Wayne just past Pebble Beach before the judging have to come from Jim to us individually.

We have lost one of the greats. One who understood. The money wasn't the motive. The closest thing to perfect is and perfect is and will always be Wayne Obry.

Norbert

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very sad news. His expertise will be missed in the high quality restoration world.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #3 tifosi12, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #4 norbert, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    I had asked Jim a couple of years ago what year Wayne was born. Jim said the same year as the 166MM - 1953. I knew Wayne smoked a pipe (all the time). I had purchased many new unsmoked Dunhill pipes from an estate some years before (still in a box today in the basement today with the vintage Dunhill tobacco that came with them.) Had '52s and later but no '53s. Wayne was just a man who you respected so much that you felt if you could give him something as appreciation for his work that he might enjoy it, and it might be a vintage Dunhill pipe. Then I thought later well just lay out all the pipes and have him select one (or two). Then tell him what the year(s) of manufacture were and styles. ( The latest pipe I had was a '76 Bruyere.) That just never came to pass as there never became a convenient event for both of us to be attending where we might have a moment.)

Wayne, you are so in my thoughts.

Norbert

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    For the FCA Annual International Meet this year there will be a special display of cars as a memorial to Wayne and his Motion Products work. We are still looking for more cars to be part of this. If you have yourself or know someone that could be convinced to send their car it would certainly be appreciated.

It would be nice to have this be a particularly special display.

Jeff

6. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    If you haven't done so, please post nationally which you may have done already.

(Jim drove the '56 Boano to Wayne's funeral in memory of him.)

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Already done in the Ferrari Discussion, non model specific.

8. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Beside like it is well...The entire situation in my option is a peaceful request....That is all that all of us every wanted it to be.

9. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Thanks all.

Personally, feel in the end....All those who he had to contend with who knew much or nothing concerning their car...He had to contend with...For all the glory of the presentation of the car at that moment...wonder what went through his mind.....

He put a 10 out ever time.

(Had a quiet moment with Jim Fuchs before Monterey '16. Wayne had told him well there this this one and there is this one. "Please be thankful that you were invited to Pebble Beach. I could not except this in my mind. I went over Jim's Boano. When I saw, the care even around the heater in the car...That is when I knew we had had the ultimate restoration...So what now...well, all of us have to stand back in their own minds to appreciate this moment in time....