We are breeding a world of IDIOTS! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

We are breeding a world of IDIOTS!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Cavallino Motors, Jan 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    welcome to my world

2. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Computers were invented as an aid to human thought.

Alas, they have become a substitute for it.

21st Century Numerology: Shovel trivia into a spreadsheet and shake well until "Truth" emerges. :rolleyes:

Ever notice that you never hear the term "GIGO" anymore?

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    quoted for truth.

not only this, but developers and programmers - if you are one, you understand - they are the laziest people on the planet.

why? think of what they do, they want to automate a task down to the minute detail in order to do something manually. automation is the key, and if you have to touch it, well, that gets expensive. the whole mindset is "what can I do so that I don't have to a) hear back from someone, and b) get it done so I don't have to touch it again". (and heck, I've been a developer for a few companies from time to time so I'm right there with em)

4. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

I sat on hold for abotu 10 mins yesterday with my bank trying to get some info. Finally got a live person who transferred me to another live person who then told me to call my local branch and push option 4. I had started by calling my local branch! Anyway I do that again and get msg that normal hours are from X to Y and to call back!!!!!!!!!

5. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Robin,

Isn't Accenture HP's old equipment division? If so, it makes sense.

6. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Brent, nah they're actually the consulting firm that was spun off from Arthur Anderon and Anderson Consulting. Not only is there help desk in India, but their corporate hq is some kind of PO Box/hole-in-the-wall in Bermuda. They're using all the tricks....

You speak the truth Schatten, their goal in life is to do as little as possible. I used to work for a Unisys contract that handled all the IT support for an Army command HQ, which included the help desk. Our PM didn't get along with the Army management team, so he decided to follow the contract word for word. The contract stated that the help desk had to respond to calls within a set period of time... 3 or 4 hours or whatever. It didn't say the help desk had to actually answer the phone when people called.. only that they had to respond to customer needs within the time frame. So whenever someone called the help desk, they got a machine and a return phone call within the next couple of hours. Needless to say, Unisys didn't last long there :)

-R

7. ART360

ART360 Guest

For all of us over 40, this will be a never ending routine: buy a computer, etc., doesn't work, call the manufacturer, get someone overseas, India, China, you name it, and get an idiot (or so we think) who can't answer the questions. Under 40, they've learned to go the website, download what they need, never deal with the idiots in customer service (which is exactly what management at those companies designed the system to eliminate, thus increasing their profits.

It's a brave new world.

Art

8. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Art said it! Gen X is smarter than us 'Old Farts'!

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Peter;

did you just call myself an Old Fart????

I work with GEN X and GEN Y's all of the time and they want you to look up the information for them or just tell them the answer outright.

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Because we let everyone breed indescriminately.

11. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    Now that makes sense! If a breeder has a horse that trips over his own hooves, the breeder cuts the horses........well, lets just say that the breeder doesn't allow the horse to reproduce. We don't have that kind of option with human idiots. And if a guy is an idiot, what kind of woman is going to want to have his baby? Another idiot. Idiocy squared.

12. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    According to a press release from Carly, CEO of HP, and the CEO of Intel, one reason so many companies are outsourcing to 3rd world countries is because there arn't enough smart Americans.....according to them, that guy in India you were talking to is there because your fellow Americans are too dumb.......http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...MNGDI45PV01.DTL

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    What a crock of baloney. It would seem to me that Americans must be pretty smart because they aren't willing to work for the chickenfeed wages that some billion dollar computer company is trying to pay it's tech support crew. Remember when Wal-Mart was doing a big ad campaign about how it's line of shirts were made in American by Americans? They quickly tossed out that ad campaign when they started having practically all of their clothing made in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Haiti, and other third world countries.

So what these big companies are saying is that if they built a giant tech support center or clothing factory in the middle of a Kansas wheat field that NOBODY would show up at their front door with a willingness to be trained to do the job. Absolute hogwash spewed forth in an attempt to mask their corporate greed. Greed is what prompts them to outsource these jobs to overseas third world countries where they can pay people pennies instead of dollars.

14. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    This all goes back to, 'Intelligence is no match for stupidity.'